[MyAppleMenu] Jul 27, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 27 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Apple Acknowledges MacBook Pro Whine
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/07/26.10.shtml>
Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer

*** Will The New Nike+iPod Sport Kit Hit The Ground Running, Or Hit The Wall?
<http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1527>
Knowledge at Wharton

*** Apple: iPods Built To Last 4 Years
<http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/06/07/26/ipod.failure.rates/>
ipodnn

*** From Confrontation To Experimentation: The Music Industry Is Playing A New Tune
<http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=1530>
Knowledge at Wharton

Even as the courts have made it clear that downloading music files without paying for them is illegal, the recording industry has been searching for new business models.

*** EyeTV 2.3 Features Front Row Integration
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/07/26/eyetv/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Merom MacBooks For The Holidays
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=249>
Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

MacBook Pro's selling like hot cakes and Apple has been so busy fixing the problems with the original printed circuit board (PCB) that I doubt that they will be ready to insert a new chip that soon.

*** Microsoft's Current Situation: Like IBM In The '80s
<http://software.seekingalpha.com/article/14310>
Carl Howe, SeekingAlpha

*** Palettes Versus Sidebars
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/07/palettes_versus_sidebars.html>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

*** Enter Aquaman
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2006/07/metallica/index.php?lsrc=todayatpl>
Philip Michaels, Playlist

Aquaman becomes the first instance of a failed pilot being made available for purchase.

*** Apple's Copy Protection Isn't Just Bad For Consumers, It's Bad For Business
<http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=191000408>
Cory Doctorow, InformationWeek

iTunes enjoys the protection of a corrupt law that gives Apple the right to exclude competitors from the market.

*** Battery Power
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/07/batteries/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

I can't imagine I would remember -- or care to -- get up and park the mouse in my docking station. (Not to mention how ugly that would look in my home theatre set up.)

[Review]

*** Sharing Drives
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/07/features/ww_drives/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
John Rizzo, Macworld

Living in a Windows world.

*** MacBook Wrist-Saver
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2006/07/softpads/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

I've found Softpads to be an ideal solution to our MacBook's wrist-mincing lip.

[Sidetrack]

*** Apple Doing Mobile Phone -- Via Acquisition?
Heng-Cheong Leong

According to Macsimum News <http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_files_a_new_and_timely_trademark_for_dopod_in_japan/>, Apple has filed a new trademark in Japan: Dopod.

Of course, Dopod <http://www.dopod.com/pc/index.php> is a name already taken up by a Taiwanese company that makes smart phones with Windows Mobile.

So, you add one and one together, and you'll get the news / rumor / speculation that Apple is buying Dopod, creating an iPod phone, and... er... becoming a licensee of Windows Mobile?

Bonus: Mac OS X can now sync with Windows Mobile?

*** The Laptop Crusade
<http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/laptop.html>
Douglas McGray, Wired

The mission: Create a $100 computer for millions of poor kids around the world. Now designer Yves Behar just have to figure out the details.

*** Portable Navigation Systems Going In More Directions
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/27/technology/27basics.html?ex=1311652800&en=41a4d2a1ceebe3db&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Ivan Berger, New York Times

Portable navigation systems are becoming quite handy in many ways -- and not just for drivers.

*** What Can I Bring?
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/25/AR2006072500335.html>
Stephanie Witt Sedgwick, Washington Post

Everything short of the main course, it seems. Like it or not, potlucks have become a way of life.

*** The Taco Joint In Your Kitchen
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/26/dining/26mini.html?_r=1&ref=dining&oref=slogin>
Mark Bittman, New York Times

The good news is that without too much effort you can, believe it or not, create an admirable taco at home.

*** Good Times To Make Goodwill Gestures, Singapore Told
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/National/20060727075341/Article/local1_html>
Rayi Nambiar, New Straits Times

Singapore, build bridges of friendship with Malaysia. This is the advice of Malaysian High Commissioner to Singapore, Datuk N. Parameswaran, in the wake of the failed bridge talks.

*** PAP WilL Field Eric Low And Sitoh Again: PM
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:7ec3380f39bac010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Li Xueying\, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.