[MyAppleMenu] Jul 26, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 26 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** OpenDarwin Closes Up Shop
<http://www.macuser.com/geekery/opendarwin_closes_up_shop.php>
Derik DeLong, MacUser

*** iTunes Kiosk Solution In Development
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=15356&Page=1&pagePos=5>
Macworld UK

Australia software and hardware developer, 22Moo, has confirmed it is developing an iTunes kiosk for public places.

*** Apple And Facebook Make 250m iTunes Song Deal
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15351>
Macworld UK

*** Be Nice To Your Mac -- It's Feeling Vulnerable Right Now
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/7/25/4769>
Tanya lowden, Ars Technica

*** Schools Make Content Available To Public
<http://www.eschoolnews.org/news/showStoryts.cfm?ArticleID=6452>
Laura Ascione, eSchool News

As the use of portable music players such as Apple's popular iPod continues to grow, some forward-thinking universities -- and even a few K-12 institutions -- are expanding their use of Apple's iTunes U course management system to make their content available to the general public.

[Opinion]

*** Mac Is Back In The Big League
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/07/26/31OPcurve_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/07/26/31OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

For this WWDC, I'd be content to find that Apple has paved the way for its developers and high-end server and workstation users to build their own bridges over whatever gaps exist between OS X and new Intel Macs' hardware capabilities, I expect to be content.

[Review]

*** Intel Inside But Still An Apple Mac
<http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Reviews/Computing?Article=/Reviews/Computing/T2F6L9R8>
Richard Hill, Smarthouse

Apple's commitment to quality goes beyond designing eye-catching enclosures.

*** Legion Arena
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/07/reviews/legionarena/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Microsoft Is Copying Apple's Playbook In More Ways Than One
Heng-Cheong Leong

It's Kill-The-Clones fiasco all over again. Didn't we hear this line before: Oh, our partners are not growing the market, so we are taking it all back and doing it ourselves... Instead of calling it System 7.5/PlayForSure, we will call it Mac OS 8/Zune!

The question then is: who will be the Power Computing of 2006, and who will be the DayStar Digital of 2006?

*** Monopoly Isn't What Is Used To Be
Heng-Cheong Leong

One of the joy of playing Monopoly (the board game) is to throw all your money at your opponents (literally) when you've win them all.

Well, no more <http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/15119698.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>. You get to use a little VISA debit card now...

*** High Colonic
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/07/26/proofreader_essay/index_np.html>
Melissa Holbrook Pierson, Salon

No matter how many books I publish, I can't kick my addiction to my other occupation, the scorned one that offers me succor and sanity: Proofreading.

*** Limited Evacuation At MRT Station After Fogging Triggers Smoke Alarms
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/221339/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

*** New Service Guidelines For Public Bus Services, Fines If They Contravene Them
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/221315/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

*** PTC Chairman Says Timing Of New Service Standards For Buses Not Linked To Fare Issue
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/221317/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

*** It's "Jetstar" As Asian, Australian Carriers Integrate Brands
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/221263/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** Post-Moterm On NEL Disruption
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/132737.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

It should not happen again,s aid the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport after the 11-hour disruption on the North-east Line.

[Opinion]

*** Please Let Us Be Responsible For Our Own Lives!
<http://what-irks-you-in-singapore.blogspot.com/2006/07/please-let-us-be-responsible-for-our.html>
What irks You In Singapore?

Everyone agreed that the barrier should be removed, and let the people take responsibilities for their own lives.

*** Behind The Disruption...
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/132718.asp>
Lim Boon Hee and Jose Varghese, Today

In a transport mini-crisis that affected thousands of commuters, the two major players' fingerpointing and lack of cooperation was unacceptable.

*** Why The Foreign Media Matters To Singapore
<http://singaporedemocrat.org/articleprotestsandintlcommunity.html>
Singapore Democratic Party

When citizens refuse to roll over and play dead every time the government cracks its whip, the world must be kept informed.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]