[MyAppleMenu] Jan 8, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 8 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** 'The iPod Dynasty'
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/07/technology/poguesposts/07pogues-posts2.html?ex=1294290000&en=a6e902b348f81f6d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

*** Jobs Needs To Pull Apple From Hat At Macworld
<http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=120123>
Brett Arends, Boston Herald

[Opinion]

*** Apple Walks Tightrope With Budget iBook Strategy
<http://www.theregister.com/2006/01/07/budget_ibooks/>
Andrew Orlowski, The Register

Sources close to Apple suggest that the many in the rumor mill have failed to illuminate the bigger picture -- a strategy to makeover the iBook as a cut-price bait to lure switchers, with price points much lower than Apple has ever risked for a portable machine.

*** Streamrolling The Streamroller
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8950?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Steamrolling+the+steamroller>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

Faced against the might of Google, Yahoo! and Microsoft, Apple looks like small fry indeed in this looming battle for online video content. Unless perhaps it can unveil some great new hardware that gives it the same edge that the iPod gave it.

[Sidetrack]

*** Windows Vista Sounds Familiar To Mac Users
Heng-Cheong Leong

What do you get when you overlay the audio of Gates introducing Windows Vista onto actual video screenshots of Mac OS X? Pretty interesting <http://maclive.net/sid/134>...

*** Rumor Today: Apple Plasma Display
Heng-Cheong Leong

Jason O'Grady <http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2006/01/exclusive_apple_plasma_displays_to_rock_mwsf.html>: The new plasma displays are powered by Intel's newly announced Viiv multimedia technology... [and] it will run Mac OS 10.4.4 for x86.

*** In Love With Reality Truly, Madly, Virtually
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/08/arts/design/08rush.html?ex=1294376400&en=5e991f2dbf473329&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Michael Rush, New York Times

Virtual reality is so permeating our lives that one day soon we may find it impossible to distinguish the virtual from the real.

*** Chinese Revolution Turns Hi-Tech
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/4586914.stm>
Specner Kelly, BBC News

Sixty years after the revolution engineered by Chairman Mao, China is in the midst of a different revolution -- of a digital variety.

*** A Dangerous Question
<http://bayosphere.com/blog/dan_gillmor/20060107/a_dangerous_question_0>
Dan Gillmor, Bayosphere

If we ask for regulation of speech -- even under the principle of protecting it -- we may be inviting the wrong kind of interference later on.

*** It's A Life, Not A Feel-Good Moment
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/06/AR2006010601485.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns>
John E. Smith, Washington Post

We all know the devil is in the details, so why the charade?

*** Why Can't We See PSLE Papers?
<http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,100022,00.html>
Santokh Singh and Veena Bharwani, New Paper

More parents are asking that the Ministry of Education to release PSLE question papers once the exams are over.

*** Singapore Holds Terror Attack Response Drill
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/187112/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The drill started at 6.25 am.