[MyAppleMenu] Dec 28, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 28 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** iPod Vending Machines Doing Pretty Well, Actually
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/12/28/6412>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

*** Changes For Microsoft And Apple
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6197805.stm>
BBC News

Both Microsoft and Apples' years have been dominated by major changes. In Microsoft's case it was the release of its operating system and for Apple the big change in 2006 was integrating Intel chips in its machines.

*** 2006: The Year's Biggest Mac Stories
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/12/28/2006rev/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple may be at the center of the Mac universe, but it wasn't the only company making waves in 2006.

*** Apple 'Falsified' Files On Jobs' Options
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/801e1b82-9605-11db-9976-0000779e2340.html>
Richard Waters, Financial Times

Steve Jobs was handed 7.5m stock options in 2001 without the required authorisation from the company's board of directors, according to people familiar with the matter.

*** Apple Shares Recover
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077653,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Jim Finkle, Reuters

Apple shares fell as much as 6 percent on Wednesday on a reort of new developments in its stock options inquiry, but the shares later turned positive after analysts shrugged off concerns that the company faces deeper legal risks.

*** Apple Options Issues Unlikely To Impact Jobs
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2330>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

*** Apple Option Fears Seem Overblown, Says Analyst
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2332>
Slash Lane, AppleInsider

*** Here Comes High Definition
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/features/trends78/index.php>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

*** Investors Weigh iPod Holiday Fervor Vs. Apple Backdating Probe
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/columnists/16330224.htm>
Frank Michael Russell, San Jose Mercury News

*** Christmas Rush Jams Up iTunes
<http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061227/BIZ04/612270342/1013>
Eric Morath, Detroit News

The joy of receiving an iPod for Christmas turned to frustration for many Tuesday as a slow and sometimes unresponsive iTunes Store stymied music lovers looking to download songs and videos.

[Opinion]

*** Apple's Above The Law Attitude
<http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/applepeels/2006/12/apples_above_th.html>
Applepeels

*** Why .Mac Is Doomed... Unless Steve Jobs Finds A Passion For It At Macworld This January
<http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/blogwavestudio/LH20051229203824/LHA20061228135015/index.html>
Les Posen

.Mac could have done so much more for Mac owners, but its interminable slowness and lack of feedback about what's it's doing, means it gets used less nd less, as alternatives in the social networking community become available.

[Review]

*** The Mac OS X Font Managers Review
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/fontmanagers.ars>
David Girard, Ars Technica

*** 17-Inch MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo/2.33 GHz
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/reviews/17mbprev/index.php>
Henry Norr, Macworld

If you can afford the price and don't mind the size and weight inevitably associated with such a large display, you won't be disappointed.

*** Top Ten Mistakes In Web Design
<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html>
Jakob Nielsen, Useit.com

*** Government May Not Need Warrant To Search Your E-mail
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061227-8504.html>
Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

*** Crowd Wisdom Vs. Google's Genius
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2006/tc20061227_722820.htm>
Catherine Holahan, BusinessWeek

The fonder of Wikipedia plans to take on the giant by offering search results that tap the knowledge of people across the web.

*** Brillant Ideas That Found A Welcome
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/technology/28pogue.html?ex=1324962000&en=ad8fb3faef4a8985&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

[World]

*** Believe It Or Not
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/013/111afhua.asp>
Joseph Epstein, The Weekly Standard

Presidents and their convictions.

[Tech & Science]

*** Motorists Switch Satnav On, Brain Off
<http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=31&art_id=vn20061226084449813C427638>
Erik Kirschbaum, IOL

Motorists who seem to turn off their brain when switching on their car's satellite navigation system have had a number of spectacular crashes in the past year -- but occasionally they're right to blame the machine.

[Life]

*** Japan, Home Of The Cute And Inbred Dog
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/business/28dogs.html?ex=1324962000&en=612f4d4668e7583c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Martin Fackler, New York Times

Rare dogs are highly prized in Japan. But the real problem is what often arrives in the same litter: genetically defective sister and brother puppies born with missing paws or faces lacking eyes and a nose.

[Ramblings]

*** Guilty Until Proven Innocent, Part 2
Heng-Cheong Leong

Yesterday, I posted a short post <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2006/12/27/#20061227bg000001> about the issue of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" viewpoint. I received the following e-mail from Mr Daniel Koh Kah Soon, the original forum-page writer:

Dear Mr. Leong,

I've just read your comments regarding my letter to the ST Forum Page. I take your insinuation against me, not too lightly, especially so because I do try to be a fair-minded person.

I might have indeed written a bad letter. It just shows I am not a word-smith, nor am I writer with flair.

I thought your judgment against me might have been, shall I say, fairer (?) had it been true that Prof Shorvon had not been found guilty of professional misconduct.

Though the British authorities refused to pursue further investigation against him, Shorvon's case was investigated in Singapore and the Singapore Medical Council had found him guilty of serious breach of medical ethical standards. He has been found guilty of obtaining medical information without informed consent, changing medications without informing the patients and bypassing the patients' personal doctors to obtain privileged medical data. I don't think one needs to be a medical ethicist to see that these are clear examples of unethical practices.

The context of the phrase, "unless Prof. Shorvon was innocent of profession..." is not to prejudge that he was guilty until proven innocent -- he had already been found guilty of professional misconduct -- but to suggest that if he is indeed innocent, then he has nothing to hide. Just provide the evidence to rebut and debunk the conclusion of the Singapore Medical Authority.

I hope this clarification helps even if you may not agree with my assessment of the Shorvon's affair.

daniel koh kah soon

[News]

*** Final Curtain For Kallang Theatre On Mar 31
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/249572/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

The National Arts Council is shutting down the theatre after careful review of its strategic relevance to Singapore's arts facilities and infrastructure.

*** Malaysia 'Losing Talent To Singapore'
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:a5934dee954cf010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Straits Times

*** AirAsia Takes On 'Backyard Bully'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/163018.asp>
Tan Hui Leng, Today

Long having challenged Singapore to open up the lucrative air route to Kuala Lumpur, the chief executive of budget carrier AirAsia has changed his tune.

*** Who Wants To Be NMP? 48 People
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/163013.asp>
Sheralyn Tay, Today

A total of 48 applications have been submitted for the post of nominated member of parliament this year -- a record high since the NMP scheme began in 1990.

[Opinion]

*** Why Sale Of State Land Is Done At Market Price
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:d3074dee954cf010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Kee Lay Cheng, Housing And Development Board, Straits Times

*** Taxi Woes Tarnish Singapore's Image As A Tourist Destination
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:571b2d93113cf010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Lim Boon Hee, Straits Times