[MyAppleMenu] Dec 27, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 27 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Our People Of The Year? Same August Faces, But With New Tricks
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116716307572159780-yfdF_jkFugFNHwWW9VOVekDKpTo_20070125.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
Lee Gomes, Wall Street Journal

Such is Mr Jobs's sway in the industry that the 150,000 people at CES will spend all day Monday in Las Vegas wondering what Apple is going to be doing the next day in San Francisco.

*** Faked Docs May Be Core Of Apple Case
<http://www.law.com/jsp/ca/PubArticleCA.jsp?id=1166782011784>
Justin Scheck, The Recorder

According to people with knowledge of Apple's situation, federal prosecutors are looking closely at stock option administration documents that were apparently fasified by company officials to maximize the profitability of option grants to executives.

*** 2006: The Year In Apple
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/12/26/apple06/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple and Philip Michaels, Macworld

While the Intel transition obviously dominated Apple's maneuverings this year, it wasn't the only news to come out of Cupertino.

[Opinion]

*** So Long PC
<http://mattbrett.com/archives/2006/12/so-long-pc/>
Matt Brett

*** The Gift That Does Not Keep On Giving
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/12/disapperingcredit/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

*** iPhone, iTV, And Household Names
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/12/brandnames/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

What's in a name? When a product doesn't actually have one, a whole lot.

[Review]

*** Data Backup 2.1: Backup Software For Both Beginners And Power Users
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/reviews/dbackup21/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Joe Kissell, Macworld

Other than the weak support for optial discs and a below-average synchronization feature -- neither of which is crucial for backing up your data to hard drives -- there's little not to like about Data Backup 2.1.

[Wintel]

*** Windows Vista... Doesn't Suck
<http://www.macuser.com/windows/ihnatko_windows_vista_doesnt_s.php>
Andy Ihnatko, MacUser

*** I Blew It On Microsoft
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/posts.html?pg=6>
Lawrence Lessig, Wired News

Municipal competition won't kil commercial broadband anymore than Linux has killed Windows. Yet it could change the business model of last-mile broadband, just as Linux has changed the business model of Microsoft.

*** Spam Surge Drives Net Crime Spree
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6198113.stm>
Mark Ward, BBC News

*** HD Disk Format Wars Are Over
<http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36574>
Charlie Demerjian, The Inquirier

Priacy, the better choice (TM).

*** New Year's Resolution: Hire More People
<http://news.com.com/2100-1022_3-6145941.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Michelle Meyers, CNET News.com

Most U.S. companies will either boost or maintain their employee counts in the coming year, according to reslts released Tuesday fo a survey led by online job site CareerBuilder.com.

*** Food For The People, Whipped Up By The People
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/27/dining/27cook.html?ex=1324875600&en=3932b607c69f8e05&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Julia Moskin, New York Times

It was the year the people took back the food.

*** Repeat After Us: I Will Stop Eating Candy In 2007
<http://villagevoice.com/nyclife/0652,jones,75389,15.html>
Jessica Jones, Village Voice

She gave up her addiction to strawberry laces and Milk Duds, and lived to tell the tale.

*** Easing The Inward Journey, With Modern Amenities
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/24/business/yourmoney/24spirit.html?ex=1324616400&en=986223d82f6e1883&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Perry Garfinkel, New York Times

In its many forms, spiritual tourism is the "oldest and now one of the fastest-growing segments in the travel industry."

*** Running Low On Role Models
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/12/26/conner/index_np.html?source=rss>
Kate Shindle, Salon

Miss Nevada's out, Tara Conner's wobbly reign continues, and we're left wondering: What are beauty queens for, anyway?

[Ramblings]

*** No Stupid Business Model Allowed
Heng-Cheong Leong

I'm shedding no tears for businesses that have flawed business models <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/249341/1/.html>. I'm glad the government is not imposing more regulation just to help sustain businesses that is failing because they don't have a good model.

*** Yet Another "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" Viewpoint
Heng-Cheong Leong

Daniel Koh Kah Soon <http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:a5aea44c6cfbf010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>, writing in Straits Times: Unless there is evidence to show that Prof Shorvon was innocent of professional misconduct...

Oh dear, yet another assertion that one must prove his innocence, rather than the prosecution prove one's guilt. Bad letter-writter, bad letter writer.

[News]

*** Transport Companies To Handle Own Lost And Found Items: LTA
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/249409/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** About Singapore's Lack Of Reporting
<http://www.epochtimes.com/b5/6/12/26/n1570247.htm>
Zhijin, Dajiyuan

*** Raise CPF For Older Workers
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/162842.asp>
Thomas Koshy, Today

*** For Our Workers' Sake, Leave CPF Rates Alone
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:c2e8a44c6cfbf010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Nizam M. Idris, Straits Times

Workers -- particularly the more cost-sensitive low-skilled workers -- will gain nothing from this move, and in fact could potentially be worse off.

*** Class A Or C, All Urgent Cases Get Priority
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:d76ea44c6cfbf010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Chua Soong Khim, National University Hospital, Straits Times

[Technology]

*** Earthquake In Taiwan Results In Slow Internet Service In Singapore
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/249337/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>