[MyAppleMenu] Dec 24, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 24 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** More PC Buyers Will Be Going Mac In 2007
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/12/23/6391>
Charles Jade, Ars Technica

[Opinion]

*** The Passing Of MacAddict
<http://www.thriftmac.com/the-passing-of-macaddict>
Mark Rogers, Thriftmac

I can still remember buying the first-ever issue of MacAddict. It was in the late '90s when Apple was going through hard times. The company was referred to as "beleaguered" so often that I wondered if Apple would change its name to Beleaguered Apple.

*** Founder Of Wikipedia Plans Search Engine To Rival Google
<http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2517026,00.html>
James Doran, The Times

Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia, is set to launch an internet search engine with amazon.com that he hopes will become a rival to Google and Yahoo! Mr Wales has begun working on a search engine that exploits the same user-based technology as his open-access encyclopaedia.

*** The Pleasure Of The Present
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw12242006/2003477531_pacificpeace24.html>
Richard Seven, Seattle Times

Take a deep breath and unwind.

*** What's Wrong With Cinderella?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/24/magazine/24princess.t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin>
Peggy Orenstein, New York Times

Diana may be dead and Masako disgraced, but here in America, we are in the midst of a royal moment. To call princesses a "trend" among girls is like calling Harry Potter a book.

*** Old Typewriter Intrigues A Jaded Web Generation
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/23/HOGVNN38QN1.DTL>
Alison Rood, San Francisco Chronicle

It was strange to see my son and his actor friends mesmerized by a machine similar to one I used to use. I still fondly recall the downtown Sacramento shop where I took my Olympia for repairs.

*** Jewish In A Winter Wonderland
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/24/fashion/24PotteryBarn.html?ex=1324616400&en=476d081358173a00&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Cindy Chupack, New York Times

I blame the Pottery Barn holiday catalog for the fact that my husband and I, both Jews, spent last weekend at Home Depot picking out a Christmas tree.

[Expressions]

*** Mrs Radinsky
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/originalfiction/story/0,,1978282,00.html>
Salley Vickers, The Guardian

*** Singapore Education Eyes RI Market
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20061224.I01&irec=14>
A Junaidi, Jarkarta Post

*** Swee Say: It Strikes A Good Balance
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:496707150cfaf010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Straits Times

*** Study-Mom Often Linked With Massage Ladies
<http://news.sina.com.tw/politics/sinacn/cn/2006-12-24/00213459829.shtml>
Sina

*** 'Reduce Second Link Toll Charges'
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Saturday/National/20061223094143/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

Responding to the government's proposal to compel heavy vehicles to use the Second Link, Pan Malaysian Lorry Owners' Association believes it was unfair to impose additional financial burdens on the operators.

[Opinion]

*** Hardly Christmas At A Heartlands Mall
<http://rana.typepad.com/weblog/2006/12/hardly_christma.html>
Blowin' In The Wind

I was surprised to see only one Christmas tree at a shopping mall.

[Entertainment]

*** Roaring Time In Lion City
<http://thestar.com.my/education/story.asp?file=/2006/12/24/education/20061223131057>
Anne Barbosa, The Star

When are you on the go feeding your senses with amazing sensorial experiences every second for at least 15 hours every day? Why, when you're on a study tour to Singapore, of course!