[MyAppleMenu] Dec 13, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 13 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Apple Denies Download Sales fall
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6175321.stm>
BBC News

Apple has denied a report which claims US sales at its iTunes Music Store fell by 65% in the first half of 2006. Apple said the report is "simply incorrect", but will not divulge iTunes financial figures.

[Opinion]

*** Do The Math: iTunes Sales Aren't Collapsing
<http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2006/12/do-math-itunes-sales-arent-collapsing.html>
Blackfriars Blog

*** Taking The Heist
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/12/taking_the_heist.html>
Oliver Breidenbach, O'Reilly Network

The MacHeist crew has to be applauded for developing and testing new ways to market Mac applications. If it turns out that it was all not worth our while, we simply will have to mark it down as another way not to get rich.

*** The Iniquities Of The Selfish
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/12/iniquities_of_the_selfish>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

My problem with MacHeist is that they're couching this bundle as a service to the indie developer community, when the truth is that they stand to make a significant amount of money while paying comparatively little to the very developers whose interests they claim to be serving.

*** Tech Analysts Still Don't Get iTunes Store
<http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2006/12/commentary_tech.html>
Pete Mortensen, Wired News

[Review]

*** New MacBook Is The Same -- Only Better
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16091362/>
gary Krakow, MSNBC

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Exec Priased Mac To 'Change Vista Process'
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/12/12/msftfollow/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Eric Lai, Computerworld

Outgoing Windows development chief James Allchin says he was being "purposefully dramatic" in a three-year-old e-mail to Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and CEO Steve Ballmer that surfaced late last week at an Iowa antitrust trial against Microsoft. Allchin said the e-mail was a "rant encouraging a change to the way we were building Windows at the time... Taken out of context, this comment could be confusing."

*** Microsoft Unveils Public Robotics Software
<http://news.com.com/2100-11394_3-6143242.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

Microsoft on Wednesday plans to take the wraps off its first commercial operating system for robots, with hopes of paving the way for a broader robotics industry and taking a central role in its development.

[Tech & Science]

*** Bad Habits: Why We Can't stop
<http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/061205_bad_habits.html>
Jeanna Bryner, LiveScience

Scientists have come up with a host of reasons why humans stick to bad habits, and they are zeroing in on what to do about it.

*** Knowing The Ingredients Can Change The Taste
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/health/12beer.html?ex=1323579600&en=b1a8dc25745ec89a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Benedict Carey, New York Times

In the study, Dr. Lee and two M.I.T. researchers found that they could change beer drinkers' taste preferences by telling them about a secret ingredicent in a beer before they drank it.

[Life]

*** The Old-Fashioned Secret Of Holiday Treats?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/13/dining/13cane.html?ei=5088&en=d3f8cca15ef1eb91&ex=1323666000&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1166012487-h6y2YHwnjiXHVzjMmnYugA>
Julia Moskin and Kim Severson, New York Times

For bakers everywhere, especially during the season of fruitcake and gingerbread, the distinct spicy, earthy flavor of unrefined cane is irreplaceable.

*** Behind The Intelligent Singaporean: Interview With InSpir3d
<http://www.singaporeangle.com/2006/12/behind-intelligent-singaporean_13.html>
Singaporeangle.com

Intelligent singaporean (IS) is currently one of the leading aggregators in the Singapore blogosphere.

[Opinion]

*** On Choice Of Undesirable Outcomes And Policy Making In Singapore
<http://bleongcw.typepad.com/simple_is_the_reason_of_m/2006/12/choice_of_evils_1.html>
Simple Is The Reason Of My Heart

The argument is what I called the choice of undesirable outcomes.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]