[MyAppleMenu] Aug 30, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 30 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Apple's DRM Cracked Again
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060830-7619.html>
Anders Bylund, Ars Technica

*** Apple Works To Settle Chinese iPod Factory Case
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15711>
Macworld UK

Apple is "working behind the scenes" to help resolve a dispute between its iPod manufacturer, Foxconn, and local Chinese journalists who blew the whistle concerning poor working conditions at the giant iPod plant.

*** Laptop Probe Ordered
<http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/national/15395018.htm>
Chisaki Watanabe, Associated Press

Japanese authorities confirmed the first case of an Apple laptop catching fire and ordered an investigation.

*** Google's Schmidt Joins Apple's Board Of Directors
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/29/schmidt/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service

Apple tapped Eric Schmidt for a seat on its board of directors, hoping to benefit from the Google CEO's long industry experience.

*** Apple Asked To Intercede On Behalf Of Chinese Reporters
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6110640.html?part=rss&tag=6110640&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

The Reporters Without Borders organization has sent a letter to Steve Jobs asking him to implore iPod supplier Foxconn to drop a lawsuit against two Chinese journalists who wrote an article critical of working conditions at a Foxconn Elecronics factory.

[Opinion]

*** The Apple Store's Next Frontier
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/08/morestores/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

Take it from a traveler who's always forgetting to pack some sort of electronic paraphernalia -- Apple shold expand its retail efforts into airports.

*** Apple + Google = Worries For Everyone
<http://software.gigaom.com/2006/08/29/apple-google/>
Om Malik, GigaOM

Today's news of Google CEO Eric Schmidt joining the board of directors of Apple Computer portends potential headaches not just for Microsoft, but for anyone with digital media ambitions.

*** Rethinking Software Licensing
<http://news.com.com/2010-1012_3-6110449.html?part=rss&tag=6110449&subj=news>
Serguei Beloussov, CNET News.com

The increasing use of virtualization has blurre the lines between physical and virtual worlds, creating a new issue for buyers and sellers of computer software: Software licensing as we know it is dying -- or already dead.

[Tech & Science]

*** Time Before Time
<http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/08/time_before_time.php>
Sean Carroll, Seed

An event like the Big Bang is about as likely as billions of coin tosses all coming up heads. Explaining why that is might take us from empty space to other universes -- and through the mirror of time.

[Expressions]

*** Self-Portrait In 1969 (Summer)
<http://www.slate.com/id/2137015/>
David Roderick, Slate

*** Tight Security For Singpaore IMF-World Bank Meeting
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/30/worldupdates/2006-08-30t144801z_01_nootr_rtrjonc_0_india-265421-1&sec=worldupdates>
Fayen Wong, Reuters

When the annual International Monetary Fund-World Bank conference starts next month in Singapore, the city-state will look like it's preparing for a seige.

*** IMF-World Bank Protest Permit Denied
<http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20303844-5006506,00.html>
AFP

Singapore police have rejected Chee Soon Juan's application to stage a protest march during next month's IMF-World Bank meetings because of security reasons.

*** Lion City In Lead For Currency Hub Title
<http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=22&art_id=26162&sid=9644439&con_type=1>
Hong Kong Standard

Singapore, a city-state with gross domestic product one-40th that of Japan, is poised to overtake Tokyo as Asia's biggest currency trading center, fueled by investor demand for emerging-market assets.

*** No Foreign Car Levy, But Johor Plans In Full Swing
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/139355.asp>
Channel NewsAsia

A recent proposal to levy a RM20 tax on foreign cars entering Johor from Sept 1 has been scrapped, according to Malaysia's Minister for International Trade and Industry Rafidah Aziz, who is in Singapore on a business visit.

[Opinion]

*** Do I Look Like A Spy? Paranoia In Singapore
<http://jasiminne.blogspot.com/2006/08/do-i-look-like-spy-paranoia-in.html>
Anorexic Penguin

"I was just taking photos of the sky." "The sky is a private area too." "I was taking photos of the surroundings; the road, the trees, the sky etc." "It doesn't matter, you can't take photos anywhere near a private building."

*** Big Breakfast
<http://www.chubbyhubby.net/2006/08/big-breakfasts_30.html>
Chubby Hubby

Graze, at Rochester Park, might actually be best at breakfast time.

*** Singapore's Number One Hobby
<http://alaskanadventures.blogspot.com/2006/08/singapores-number-one-hobby_29.html>
Alaskan Adventures

I had read that shopping was big in Singapore. And I had even heard that it was their biggest hobby. I thought those people were being sacrastic... but it is true.

*** Our Parks: Bukit Batok Nature Park
<http://slurplog.blogsome.com/2006/08/30/our-parks-bukit-batok-nature-park/>
Slurp!

*** Father Of Four Finds Woes In Big Family
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:861f891f9885d010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Steven Seow Chin Seng, Straits Times

To encourage families to have more children, there must be some fundamental mindset changes.

*** Of Wild Goats And New Citizens - Not A Fairy Tale
<http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2006/08/of-wild-goats-and-new-citizens-not.html>
nofearSingapore

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>