[MyAppleMenu] Aug 14, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 14 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** "I'm A Mac" Ad Make It To Oz!
<http://joshshill.wordpress.com/2006/08/14/im-a-mac-ads-make-it-to-oz/>
joshshill.com

*** Apple's Leopard Shows Up On File Sharing Sites
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Apple_s_Leopard_shows_up_on_file_sharing_sites/0,2000061733,39266426,00.htm>
Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia

[Opinion]

*** A Combined View Of The World
<http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2006/08/14/a-combined-view-of-the-world/>
FactoryCity

I'm seeing a third generation stack emerging that holds a great deal of promise for sewing up the future of offline-sync-online experiences.

*** Apple Making Huge Social Software Push?
<http://bokardo.com/archives/apple-making-huge-social-software-push/>
Bokardo

Two recent Apple rumors suggest that the company is ramping up for a huge push of social features in its software.

*** Music Downloads: MP3s And DRM - The Right Direction At Last?
<http://consumingexperience.blogspot.com/2006/08/music-downloads-mp3s-and-drm-right.html>
A Consuming Experience

It's about time that the record companies started allowing people to pay paid-for downloads freely on any MP3 players or other devices that they own.

*** There Must Be A Lot Of Wrong-atude In Wikipedia
<http://www.stattenfield.com/keith/blog/2006/08/09/theres-must-be-a-lot-of-wrong-atude-in-wikipedia/>
Keith's Complete Waste Of Time

Apparently I, a mere Mac OS 9.1 Technical Lead, don't count as a 'source' for something. Rumor site: yes. Someone who was actually at Apple doing stuff: no.

*** Apple's Retreat From Open Source Isn't All Bad
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/6CE589C35BA247C1CC2571C7001761D0?OpenDocument>
Neil McAlister, Computerworld New Zealand

It seems Steve Jobs doesn't think he needs anyone else's input to properly serve Apple's market. And here's the thing: maybe he's right.

*** Apple Closing The Lecture-To-Podcast Gap
<http://obie.wordpress.com/2006/08/13/apple-closing-the-lecture-to-podcast-gap/>
Obadiah Tarzan Greenberg's Weblog

Apple seems to be realizing the huge demand for a capture/delivery system that has grown out of institutions diving into iTunes U.

[Review]

*** Micro Persuasion Gear: Yojimbo
<http://www.micropersuasion.com/2006/08/micro_persuasio.html>
Micro Persuasion

[Wintel]

*** The End Of Wintel?
<http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=17933&hed=The+End+of+Wintel%3F>
Red Herring

It's been called a juggernaut. It's been described as invincible. And we've all been told it is inevitable. But last month, the Windows-Intel duopoly that has dominated tech for so long seemed to be none of those things.

*** Why Internet Security Continues To Fail
<http://news.com.com/2010-7355_3-6104903.html?part=rss&tag=6104903&subj=news>
Richard Forno, CNET News.com

Placing more complexity on top of existing (and flawed) complexity does not lead to increased protection.

*** Windows Live Writer Brings WYSIWYG To Blogging
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060813-7489.html>
Ken Fisher, Ars Technica

[World]

*** The New Shape Of Fear
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/10/AR2006081001666.html>
DeNeen L. Brown, Washington Post

Whoever thought it would come to this, when the evils of humanity could be squeezed into a tube of toothpaste?

*** Cutting The Strings
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/08/13/cutting_the_strings/>
Tom Keane, Boston Globe

>From motorcycle helmets to marriage to snacking, why life is better when the government backs off.

[Tech & Science]

*** Jurassic Park
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/08/AR2006080800983.html>
Guy Gugliotta, Washington Post

The richest undisturbed cache of dinosaur fossils in North America may change the way we see the distant past. It's already transformed rancher Allen Cook's present.

[Life]

*** My Liquid-Free Flight Abroad
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/weekinreview/13lyman.html>
Rick Lyman, New York Times

In some ways, it was like any other Terror Day.

*** The Lost Art Of Film Editing
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2006/08/13/the_lost_art_of_film_editing/>
Jessica Winter, Boston Globe

Even though moviegoers who never before gave a thought to film grammar can now put together epics on their laptops using iMovie and Final Cut Pro, film editing remains perhaps the least heralded and least understood of the cinema's technical arts.

*** Outsourced Within
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw08132006/2003192457_pacificplibby13.html>
Paula Bock, Seattle Times

The same technology that makes it possible to outsource to India na dhte Philippines is changing the labor landscape closer to home.

*** Labor In Translation
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/magazine/13lives.html>
Danelle Trussoni, New York Times

Here I was, nine months pregnant, with a new husband and a great job, about to give birth in Japan. Was there something on earth I couldn't do?

*** Childproof
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/magazine/13wwln_lede.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Christopher Caldwell, New York Times

The age segregation of old folks' homes is supposed to be a concession to medical necessity, not a prequisite that can be marketed to perfectly healthy people annoyed by the din of kickball.

*** MediaCorp To Market TV Ratings Data Directly To Agencies
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/224795/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

*** Dissent Off The Agenda In Singapore
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/dissent-off-the-agenda-in-singapore/2006/08/13/1155407670266.html>
Connie Levett, The Age

*** Road Closures, Diversions In Suntec Area Next Month
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:65c542785f70d010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
K.C. Vijayan, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** Leading A Different Nation From That Of Yore
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/8/13/focus/15124263&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

After 41 years of independence, national cohesiveness, one of Singapore's early pillars of strength, is showing signs of erosion.

*** Book Sale Is With Packed Hall Of Singaporean
<http://harosingapore.blogspot.com/2006/08/book-sale-is-with-packed-hall-of.html>
Haro Singapore!

*** "Singapore Dreaming"
<http://yuhuibc.blogspot.com/2006/08/singapore-dreaming.html>
Yuhui's Blogger

*** What Time It Is?
<http://singapore.metblogs.com/archives/2006/08/what_time_is_it.phtml>
Metroblogging Singapore

*** Long Queue Of Cabs In Busy Hong Kong
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:156d42785f70d010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Yik Ching Fong, Straits Times

As providers of a service, taxis should be queueing up to take people to different places. It should not be the other way around.

*** Alert: Bitchy Singaporean Abroad
<http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/show/story/0,4136,111630,00.html>
Tay Shi'an, New Paper

I hate running into Singaporeans when I'm overseas. Why? Because we are such a bitchy lot.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]