[MyAppleMenu] Aug 4, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 4 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** VMBlog Finds Out The Latest On Parallels
<http://vmblog.com/archive/2006/08/03/1123.aspx>
VMBlog.com

"Our ultimate goal is to make Parallels virtual machines identical to 'real' machines, and that involves including 3D graphics so people can play games and use high-end rendering software without any performance hit.

*** Report: Consumers Want Movies From iTunes For $10 Or Less
<http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2006/08/03/report-consumers-want-movies-from-itunes-for-10-or-less>
Digital Media Wire

According to new research from The Diffusion Group, close to 25% of broadband households would be interested in an iTunes online movie service if titles were priced at $10 each.

*** Apple Delays Quarterly Filing, Warns Of Restatements
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6102133.html?part=rss&tag=6102133&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

Apple will likely be forced to restate earnings information dating back to 2002 as a result of its investigation into the practice of backdating stock options, the company announced Thursday.

*** 'Cider' Makes Windows Games Run On Intel Macs
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/03/cider/index.php>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Coming soon: Windows games that will run on Intel Macs thanks to Transgaming's new Cider software. There's no rebooting involved and no separate Windows partition to be installed. It all happens transparently.

*** Ford: Audio Player Demand To Double In Five Years
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/08/03/ford/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

*** General Motors Sees iPod Integration Paying Off
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/08/03/gmipod/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Playlist

*** Scandinavia Chilly To Apple
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71524-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Wired News

[Opinion]

*** When Bad Customer Service Turns Good
<http://www.tedlee.net/2006/08/03/when-bad-customer-service-turns-good/>
The Ted Lee Experiment

Today I got a call from a man from Apple who identified himself as Steve Jobs's personal assistant. Jobs had gotten my email and instructed his assistant to make the necessary calls to get my laptop fixed and returned back to me in time for WWDC.

*** So How's The Mac?
<http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/009299.php>
Joshua Micah Marshall, Talking Points Memo

Bascially, I'm sold. I've been using a PC at home and a Mac at work for several months now. And I just prefer using the Mac.

*** Cory Doctorow: "OMG DRM Is r33ly Bad!"
<http://playbacktime.com/2006/08/02/cory-doctorow-omg-drm-is-r33ly-bad/>
PlaybackTime

Apple didn't invent the concept of DRM. The iPod doesn't force you to buy DRM-encrypted content, and there's lots of alternatives. And consumers don't seem to particularly mind Apple's DRM implementation a whole heck of a lot. So why the angst in his pants?

*** Better Base Pay But Fewer Bonuses For IT Pros
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1998008,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Deborah Rothberg, eWeek

[Tech & Science]

*** The Mismeasure Of Woman
<http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=7245949>
The Economist

Men and women think differently. But not that differently.

*** Singapore To Welcome IMF With Smiles, Not Singlish
<http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=136211>
Financial Express

Singapore, ever mindful of its image abroad, is about to face its toughest public relations test.

*** Police May Reduce Their Role In Licensing
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/134510.asp>
Today

The police may no longer be the agency issuing licences or regulating businesses that do not cause law and order problems.

[Opinion]

*** Fancy Hawker Centres Come With Higher Prices
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:a7c6220f174dc010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Ng Teck Wee, Straits Times

Sometimes, we just need a hawker centre that is well maintained, not food centres that are equipped with LCD TV sets or fanciful artifacts.

*** Why Andy Ho May One Day Find Himself Writing A Blog
<http://twostepsfromtwilight.wordpress.com/2006/08/03/why-andy-ho-may-one-day-find-himself-writing-a-blog/>
Two Steps Frm Twilight

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>