[MyAppleMenu] Sep 26, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 26 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** iPod, ITunes Honored By Design Awards Jury
<http://www.ipodnn.com/news/05/09/26/ipod.itunes.honored/>
ipodnn

*** Apple Scraps With War Child Over Charity Album Price
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/26/apple_itunes_war_child/>
Andrew Losowsky, The Register

Record pulled while price-tag fixed.

*** iPod Maps Draw Legal Threats
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,68967,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Matt Reed, Wired News

Transit officials in New York and San Francisco have launched a copyright crackdown on a website offering free downloadable subway maps designed to be viewed on the iPod.

*** Motorola Leader Zander In 'Screw Nano' Furore
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12719>
Tom Krazit, Macworld UK

*** Analysts Predict Apple Marketshare Gains
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12724>
Macworld UK

Bear Sterns analyst Andrew Neff has raised his target price on Apple stock, citing robust demand.

*** Who's Afraid Of Steve Jobs Now?
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/05_40/b3953041.htm?campaign_id=rss_magzn>
BusinessWeek

He says no video iPod plans are afoot, but potential rivals aren't taking any chances.

*** Kids Today! Constant Music A Must
<http://www.lovelandfyi.com/region-story.asp?ID=2239>
Associated Press

Ryan Cusick says he spends more time listening to his iPod than he is awake.

[Opinion]

*** Subtle Changes To Apple Software: More Innovation On Its Way?
<http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/blogwavestudio/LH20040822004609/LHA20050926123538/index.html>
Les Posen

*** My OS X Annnoyances List
<http://cogscanthink.blogsome.com/2005/09/25/26/>
Cogs Can Think

*** Joining The Chorus Of Disapproval
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7902?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

[Review]

*** The New iMac: Why Wait Till Next Year?
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2005/tc20050926_3105_tc117.htm>
BusinessWeek

Even though Apple is moving to new Intel chips for 2006 models, the latest iMac G5 is cool enough to pull doubters off the fence.

*** Apple's New iBook A Nifty Bargain
<http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2005/09/26/apples_new_ibook_a_nifty_bargain/>
John P. Mello Jr., Boston Globe

The notebooks maintain the Bauhaus good looks they've had since their introduction in 2001, but Apple's value-added improvements make them even more attractive.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft At 30 Turns To Services, Not Software
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/09/26/HNmicrosoft30_1.html>
Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service

The Windows operating system may have defined Microsoft since its inception but it wil be services, not software that give the world's largest software company its claim to fame in the future, according to analysts.

*** Battling Google, Microsoft Changes How It Builds Software
<http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB112743680328349448,00.html>
Robert A. Guth, Wall Street Journal

Microsoft is now racing to move in the direction of developing a solid core for Windows onto which new features can be added one by one over time.

*** The Age Of Ray Kurzweil
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/09/25/the_age_of_ray_kurzweil/>
Drake Bennett, Boston Globe

What will happen when technology outstrips human intelligence? Renowned -- and controversial -- techno-visionary Ray Kurzweil says we won't have to wait long to find out. And he, for one, is looking forward to it.

*** More Than A Leather Seat
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9356273/site/newsweek/>
William Underhill, Newsweek

The pampered set wants first class and beyond. Your own suite, a seven-course meal -- pick the right flier.

*** A Bit Too Much Mickey
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9378519/site/newsweek/>
George Wehrfritz, Newsweek

Businessmen decry overdevelopment in Hong Kong.

*** Metrosexual Matrimony
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1109319,00.html>
Jeremy Caplan, Time

When modern men prepare to wed, many wax, tan and help plan. Here come the "groomzillas."

*** Singapore Delays Request For Proposal For Integrated Resorts
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/170347/1/.html>
Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

In a brief statement on Monday, the Singapore Tourism Board says it will now only launch the request for proposal for the integrated resort at Marina Bayfront by the end of November 2005.

*** New Pension Plan In Works: PM
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/74637.asp>
Today

To help Singaporeans meet their financial needs during their golden years, the government is studying plans for a new pension scheme, including the provision of life annuities, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong revealed last night.

*** MediShield Coverage To Be Extended To Age 85
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/170185/1/.html>
Margaret Perry, Channel NewsAsia

>From next year, Singaporeans and permanent residents can have MediShield coverage up to the age of 85, five more years than the current limit.

[Opinion]

*** Fare Play, EZ-Link?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/74617.asp>
Chong Lee Ming, Today

The severity of the punishment is out of proportion to the social cost of the offence.

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore Roars
<http://www.mb.com.ph/TOUR2005092545260.html>
Manila Bulletin

Singapore has often been teased for being a "fine city," that is, you are fined for every act of misconduct, like littering, urinating in public, and what have you. But it is this system of close adherence to rules as a way of life and the no-nonsense enforcement of laws and ordinances that gives one confidence about traveling to Singapore and having a fine trip there.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]