[MyAppleMenu] Sep 15, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 15 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Meet The Apple Pack Rats
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,68810,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Pete Mortensen, Wired News

Clothes (or lack thereof) can make the computer. Customers respond to Apple's packaging for the same reasons they respond to the user-friendly machines within.

*** Sony Says It's An iPod Killer, Not Just Another Walkman
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/15/technology/15sony.html?ex=1127448000&en=c6ad6b4f364848c0&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS>
Martin Fackler, New York Times

Can the Walkman, the product that began the portble music revolution 26 years ago, make a comeback against the explosively popular iPod? Sony is better that it can. But before it challenges Apple's global dominance, Sony must first prove it can beat its American rival in a market much closer to home: Japan.

*** Taiwan Market: iPod Nano Forces Price Cut Of Non-Brand Name Flash MP3 Players
<http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050915A1001.html>
Jimmy Hsu, Phoebe Chen, and Adam Hwang, DigiTimes

These vendors, most of whom are based in China, have slashed prices to avoid potential stagnant sales or excess inventory due to the launch of Apple's iPod nano, according to a local industry source.

*** Andy Hertzfeld: Mac Truly A Better Way
<http://www.lowendmac.com/orchard/05/0913.html>
Tom Hormby, Low End Mac

*** Apple May Sell More iPod Nanos Than Initially Expected
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/09/14/apple-ipod-nano-sales-0914markets03.html>
Forbes

Piper Jaffray said the iPod nano from Apple is "selling well."

*** Apple Files For Podcasting Trademark
<http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1271>
AppleInsider

[Opinion]

*** Thanks To Apple, I Shall Be The Next Michael Bolton
<http://www.intakeweekly.com/articles/6/023316-2346-158.html>
John King, Intake Weekly

At 3 a.m., I think I can sing. Blame sleep deprivation. Blame beer consumption. Heck, go ahead and blame Apple Computer.

*** Bad Physics Joke Explained, Part I
<http://cosmicvariance.com/2005/09/08/bad-physics-joke-explained-part-i/>
Cosmic Variance

"Clearly they are moving toward the "iPod planck," which would be the smallest iPod possible (while still recognizable as an iPod)."

[Review]

*** iPod's Law: The Impossible Is Possible
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/15/technology/circuits/15pogue.html?ex=1284436800&en=df35c2ee0bdccef2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

Even after four years, all of Dell's horses and all Sony's men haven't made a dent in the iPod's dominance. And with the introduction of gorgeous, functional and elegant iPod nano, that's not about to change.

*** Tell The Computer Who's Boss
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7802?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

Sometimes you just want your computer to behave the way you want it to.

*** Protecting Your Sites Folder
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7808?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Robert Daeley, O'Reilly Network

*** iPod Nano
<http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/09/ipod_nano.html?CMP=OTC-0D6B48984890>
Phillip Torrone, Make Blog

Here's my quick review of the iPod nano along with some photos of accessories that work and do not work.

[Wintel]

*** Gates On Apple, Google -- And Microsoft's Future
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/240541_gates14ww.html>
Todd Bishop, Seattle Post-Intelligencer

*** Keyboard Clicks Can Lead To Security Hacks
<http://news.com.com/Keyboard+clicks+can+lead+to+security+hacks/2100-11395_3-5865318.html?part=rss&tag=5865318&subj=news>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

A new security vulnerability has been discovered: the clickety clack of the keyboard.

[Tech & Science]

*** Dead Man's Float
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2126310/fr/rss/>
Daniel Engber, Slate

Why are bodies in the water always facedown?

*** Do The Right Thing
<http://bostonreview.net/BR30.5/saxe.html>
Rebecca Saxe, Boston Review

Cognitive science's search for a common morality.

[Life]

*** The Slurpee At 40
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2126309/fr/rss/>
David Amsden, Slate

Has it grown up?

*** A Two-Day Tour Of Tokyo, Stretching $500 Worth Of Yen
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/travel/11frugal.html?ex=1284091200&en=a8e1e64d071b511b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Tom Downey, New York Times

Tokyo can actually be less expensive than some major European cities (and even cheaper than New York) -- if you know where to go and what to avoid.

*** Racism & Maintenance Of Religious Harmony Act
<http://miyagi.sg/2005/09/15/laws-of-our-land-part-iv-racism-maintenance-of-religious-harmony-act/>
My Very Own Glob

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>