[MyAppleMenu] Sep 12, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 12 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Apple's QuickTime Wins Web And Mobile Scoop
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12596>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple's QuickTime 7 technologies havve won a major coup in Europe, following Interoute's decision to support the multimedia software.

*** Apple Is Talk Of IBC 2005
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12597>
Macworld UK

*** Objects In Ears Are Not As Full As They May Appear
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/12/technology/12ipod.html?ex=1127188800&en=1efb9e90c8fc2207&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS>
Ian Austen, New York Times

A survey released last week suggests that people greatly overestimate how much capacity they need on their digital music players.

*** iPod Era Of Personal Media Choices May Be Turning Us Into An iSolation Nation
<http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0912customize0912.html>
Sonja Haller, Arizona Republic

Is our culture of customizing causing us to miss opportunities for discovery and diversity?

*** Of Mac & Tux
<http://www.mb.com.ph/TECH2005091244184.html>
Ram Feria, Manila Bulletin

Two years ago, Mac guru Martin "Gonz" Gonzalvez, announced a new online Filipino communit named Pinoymac. Pinoymac.org was conceptualized by GOnz and his wife, Sandra, after identifying the need to have a "community for the rest of us."

*** Is iPhone Next For Apple?
<http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2005/09/11/iphone-20050911.html>
CBC

Now that Apple has helped to deliver a cellular phone that plays music like an iPod, in partnership with Motorola, analysts are speculating that the company may go a step further and introduce its own cellphone iPod combination.

*** Stevie's Little Wonder
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1103572,00.html>
Lev Grossman, Time

It's amazing that the nano even made it to the stage. The story of the nano started nine months ago, when Jobs and his team took a look at the iPod minni and decided they could make it better.

[Opinion]

*** iPod Nano Bag (And A Bit Of Registration Weirdness)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7774?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Todd Ogasawara, O'Reilly Network

*** Apple - You're Making Me Unhappy
<http://blog.centresource.com/2005/09/11/apple-youre-making-me-unhappy/>
CentreSource

While I like iTunes, I don't want to forced to use it.

[Review]

*** How To - iPod Nano Hacking
<http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/09/how_to_ipod_nan.html>
Make Blog

The new iPod nano is out and while it's not as hackable (yet) as it's older cousins, you can do a few things like change the text strings, mod the font, and even change the graphics (sorta).

*** Tiny iPod Nano Has Makings Of A Big Hit
<http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2005/09/12/tiny_ipod_nano_has_makings_of_a_big_hit/>
Hiawatha Bray, Boston Globe

*** eBay To Buy Skype In $2.6 Billion Deal
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/12/AR2005091200295.html?nav=rss_technology>
Mattias Karen, Associated Press

*** Baidu: Not Just "China's Google"
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/09/wo/wo_091205burns.asp?trk=top>
Simon Burns, MIT Technology Review

Companies like Baidu are now riding a wave of investor expectations that internet searching will become a big business in China -- and that local search companies may understand how to reach Chinese consumers better than outsiders like Google.

*** TV Finds Its Niches On The Internet
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-technopolis11sep11,1,4792427.column?coll=la-headlines-technology>
David Colker, Los Angeles Times

Aided by the growth of broadband, online television can no longer be dismissed as a novelty, even if the economics of the medium are murky.

[World]

*** The Other America
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9287641/>
Jonathan Alter, Newsweek

An enduring shame: Katrina reminded us, but the problem is not new. Why a rising tide of people live in poverty, who they are -- and what we can do about it.

[Tech & Science]

*** Don't Dumb Me Down
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badscience/story/0,12980,1564369,00.html>
Ben Goldacre, The Guardian

We laughed, we cried, we learned about statistics...

[Life]

*** Synchronizing The Present And Past In A Timeless Place
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/12/international/europe/12versailles.html>
Marlise Simons, New York Times

The care of the clocks at Versailles offers a glimpse of the enormous energy and cost France puts into preserving its cultural identity.

*** Singapore Recalls Dark Days Of Japanese Surrender
<http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/&articleid=250659>
Roberto Coloma, Mail & Guardian

Singapore on Monday marked the 60th anniversary of the formal Japanese surrender in the island during World War II which ended what many regard as the darkest chapter in its history.

*** Two Singapore Bloggers Charged For Racist Remarks
<http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyID=2005-09-12T124546Z_01_SPI245973_RTRIDST_0_OUKIN-UK-CRIME-SINGAPORE-BLOGS.XML>
Reuters

*** No Benefits For Slain OFW In Singapore
<http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/topofthehour.aspx?StoryId=16037>
ABS-CBN

No benefits will be given to the Filipino domestic murdered in Siingapore because she was an undocumented worker, the Department of Labor and Employment said Monday.

*** Singapore Unemployment Rate Holds Steady
<http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8CIJHFG0.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db>
Associated Press

Singapore said Monday that more jobs than previously estimated were created in the second quarter of 2005, helped by the generally positive economic outlook. But the jobless rate for the period remained at 3.4 percent.

*** Two Bloggers Charged Under Sedition Act Over Racist Remarks
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/167812/1/.html>
Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

For the first time in Singapore, two bloggers have been charged under the Sedition Act with making racist remarks.

*** Singapore Scores Milestone With Completion Of Desalination Plant
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/167795/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's efforts to gain greater self sufficiency in its water supply for its people will reach another vital milestone on Tuesday, when Prime Minister Le Hsien Loong officially opens the Republic's desalination plant.

[Opinion]

*** State Of Fear
<http://coupdegras.zenguerrilla.org/?p=37>
Coup De Grace

Deal with extremists not through brute force, causing them to fester deeper underground, rather, by resolutely rebutting their ideas through with reason in public, where they die and wilt.

*** Hold That Cynicism, Please
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,340319,00.html?>
Chua Lee Hoong, Straits Times

The incident has many facets with broader implications, which explains why an official decision on the case is so long in coming and why the public is so interested.

*** Not Just Lifts, A Lifestyle
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/71829.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

There should not only be life after 65, but a lifestyle as well.

*** Fort Canning Hill
<http://thirtypounces.blogspot.com/2005/09/fort-canning-hill.html>
Thirty Pounces

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu