[MyAppleMenu] Sep 11, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 11 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Tekserve Are The Mac Daddies For All Things Apple
<http://www.thevillager.com/villager_123/tekservearethemacdaddies.html>
Olga Mantilla, The Villager

Tekserve, an Apple computer repair, resale and retail shop, tests and reviews Apple gadgets before deciding to put it on their shelves. The company is attracting Apple-users from the five boroughs and beyond thanks to its extremely frank and consumer-friendly approach.

*** Apple Store Buzzes With Nano Fever
<http://news.com.com/Apple+store+buzzes+with+Nano+fever/2100-1041_3-5858457.html?part=rss&tag=5858457&subj=news>
Michelle Meyers, CNET News.com

>From impulse buyers to careful contemplators, shoppers crowd a downtown San Francisco store to see and buy Apple's latest iPod.

[Opinion]

*** iTunes 5 Disasters
<http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000830058262/>
Brad Hill, Digital Music Weblog

Reports of destroyed iTMS libraries are floating around the Apple boards.

*** Finder + Cocoa = Finder
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3175>
Brent Simmons, inessential.com

Cocoa can't, on its own, fix problems with a flawed design.

*** Please Quit iTunes Before Beginning This Update
<http://mediacentric.nonliteral.com/articles/please-quit-itunes-before-beginning-this-update/>
Mediacentric

*** Is Apple's All-Singing Phone Out Of Date Already?
<http://news.independent.co.uk/business/analysis_and_features/article311715.ece>
Ben Schneiders, Independent

The Rokr is in danger of being left behind by its rivals.

[Review]

*** Apple iPod Nano
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1857405,00.asp>
Michael Kobrin, PC Magazine

We feel that Apple has made an incredibly satisfying product. We were so impressed that we're awarding it our Editors' Choice award.

*** iPod Nano First Impressions
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7771?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

It feels good in my hand, fits nicely in my pocket, looks beautiful, sounds terrific, and is priced to sell.

*** The Cost Of Online Anonymity
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/4227578.stm>
Dan Simmons, BBC News

In countries where free speech is not protected by the authorities, hiding your true identity is becoming big business.

*** Access Denied
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/news/0,12597,1567143,00.html>
Rafael Behr, The Observer

This is the golden age of the internet, a time of glorious anarchy where information is free and anyone, rich or poor, can blog their views to the world. But government and big business are moving in -- the clampdown has started.

*** Suddenly, Those Solar Panels Don't Look So 1970's
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/business/yourmoney/11sola.html?ex=1284091200&en=b2778b1966c2e263&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Tim Gray, New York Times

As prices for coal, natural gas and oil have soared, solar power has been getting perhaps its most serious look from investors since President Jimmy Carter pulled on a cardigan and asked Americans to damp their furnaces.

[World]

*** Flicked Aside By The Universe
<http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2005/09/11/scale/index_np.html>
Stacey D'Erasmo, Salon

9/11, the tsunami and Katrina have permanently altered our sense of scale.

*** The Bitter Lessons Of Four Years
<http://www.salon.com/opinion/conason/2005/09/11/911_anniv/index_np.html>
Joe Conason, Salon

Standing among the wreckage of two national disasters, it is no longer possible to deny the plain truth: Bush and his administration are unfit to wield power.

[Tech & Science]

*** When Is A Headache Not A Headache
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/magazine/11DIAGNOSIS.html>
Lisa Sanders, New York Times

"They tell me it's a rare condition. Of course," he added with a chuckle, "they also say it's frequently overlooked. So, who really knows how rare it is."

[Life]

*** One Bullet Away
<http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-et-warmemoirs6sep06,0,6678950.htmlstory?coll=cl-books-features>
Julia M. Klein, Los Angeles Times

New kinds of memoirs are emerging from the Iraq war, some by self-professed cowards and madmen. Often a slacker outlook replaces deeper musings common to the genre.

*** Dangerous Characters
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/books/review/11kunkel.html>
Benjamin Kunkel, New York Times

The novel registers historical change profoundly but not swiftly, for the simple reason that it usually takes several years to conceive, write, revise and publish a book. In terms of literary history, it's only now that the period before 9/11 is drawing to a close.

*** Move Over, Doc, The Guests Can't See The Baby
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/national/11birth.html?hp&ex=1126497600&en=6cdb99e563013b92&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Jodi Kantor, New York Times

Just a generation after fathers had to beg or even sue for the right to be present, the door to the delivery room has swung wide open. Even the most traditional hospitals now allow multiple guests during labor, transforming birth from a private affair into one that requires a guest list.

*** The Adventures Of Fanboy
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-fanboy37sep11,1,5209917.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
Deborah Netburn, Los Angeles Times

Television writer by day, comic book author by night.

*** Another Anniversay
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/magazine/11LIVES.html>
Raychul Goldenberg-Bivens as told to Sara Ivry, New York Times

I admit it's a little bit sad not to have pictures, not to have had a cake, not to have had loved ones there. But what are pictures compared with people's lives? Or what everybody else had to go through? Nothing. Those things are insignificant.

*** Dear New York City...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/11/opinion/11gray.html?ex=1284091200&en=9a6bb132a683e7d2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Spalding Gray, New York Times

You gave me a sense of humor because you are so absurd.

*** In New Orleans, A Menu Of Options
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/09/AR2005090902055.html?nav=rss_print/style>
Timothy Dwyer, Washington Post

These days, last call comes at 6 p.m. at Molly's at the Market, a bar in the French Quarter across the street from the French Market Place and several hundred yards from the Mississippi River.

*** Self-Regulate Or Government Steps In, Charities Urged
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,340149,00.html?>
Chua Kong Ho, Straits Times

Charities were yesterday urged to manage their affairs effectively, or face the possibility of government intervention.

*** Singapore: Where Games Mean Big Business
<http://asia.cnet.com/zd/news/business/0,39044229,39253354,00.htm>
Eileen Yu, ZDNet Asia

Asia is where the action is when it comes to the global gaming industry, according to a top official at Singapore's technology regulator.

*** Singpaporean Police Arrest Pinoy Maid Suspected Of Murdering Woman; Severing Body
<http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/net/2005/09/10/singaporean.police.arrest.pinoy.maid.suspected.of.murdering.woman.severing.body.(5.30.p.m.).html>
Associated Press

[Opinion]

*** Where Rules End And Common Sense Begins
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,340101,00.html?>
Ben Nadarajan, Straits Times

How do you calibrate who is more at fault when both sides did not break any rules and were simply exercising their common sense?

*** Good Bye, Lenin! And National Day Displays
<http://lzydata.djourne.net/?p=2360>
l.z.y./Data