[MyAppleMenu] Oct 7, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 7 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** iTunes For Video? Don't Hold Your Breath
<http://news.com.com/iTunes+for+video+Dont+hold+your+breath/2100-1026_3-5890592.html?part=rss&tag=5890592&subj=news>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

Wouldn't it be great if you could buy and download your favorite episodes of Sex in the City from a web site? Unfortunately, that sceanrio is probably a long way off, according to a panel of internet executives sounding off on the future of entertainment and media at the Web 2.0 conference on Thursday.

*** 'A Is For Apple' On iPod
<http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/city/carrollton/stories/100705dnmetipod.1c6af386.html>
Jay Parsons, Dallas Morning News

MP3 players used as vocabulary tools in Carrollton-Farmers Branch schools.

*** iPod Win Music To Pupils' Ears
<http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=2042522005>
Scotsman

*** Apple Loosens Up On "Mac" Trackmark Use
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@698.XQ7VagzJ7Qa@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c7075da>
Adam Engst, TidBITS

It appears to be true: "Mac" and "Macintosh" no longer trigger the trademark warning from Google.

*** Apple May Sell More iPod Nanos Than Initially Expected
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/09/14/apple-ipod-nano-sales-0914markets03.html>
Ed Lin, Forbes

*** Anticipation Over Apple Earnings
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B728B21CC%2D13FA%2D48B9%2D85BE%2D3EE0C0865176%7D&dist=rss&siteid=mktw>
Rex Crum, MarketWatch

Apple will release one of the most anticipated technology-earnings reports next week, and by many indications Wall Street won't be surprised if Apple thoroughly exceeds consensus expectations.

[Opinion]

*** Apple - All I Want For Christmas Is Working Smart Playlists...
<http://talios.blog-city.com/apple__all_i_want_for_christmas_is_working_smart_playlists.htm>
Talios

*** What Would Apple Be Without Jobs?
<http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops/0,39024645,39153109,00.htm>
Seb Janacek, Silicon.com

It's safe to say that for the time being Apple needs Jobs more than Jobs needs Apple.

*** Did Steve Jobs Reveal Apple's Upcoming Special Announcement Early?
<http://www.2manage.de/managementchannel/?p=22>
Management-Channel

Apple is going to announce an AirPort Express with video streaming capabilities.

*** What's Behind The Red Curtain? I'm Looking For Macs
<http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2005/10/whats_behind_th.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_techbeat>
Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

[Review]

*** Sent Messages Disappearing From Mail.app -- Possible Solution
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2005100608371226>
MacFixIt

*** Ever Had Your Screen Saver Hacked? (And Are You Sure)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8016?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Network

*** Griffin Technology's iFill
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/07/tuaw-revew-griffin-technologys-ifill/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

iFill is an example of a simple application that does a single task well.

*** Scratches Mar New iPod's Beauty
<http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/mailbox-20051006.html>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

I have never tested or owned any portable electronic device that picked up as many scratches as quickly as the iPod nano.

[Sidetrack]

*** Season Of Acquisitions Continues
Heng-Cheong Leong

... with Dave Winer selling weblogs.com <http://infrablog.verisignlabs.com/2005/10/weblogs_20_1.html> to VeriSign.

Dave Winer: What a day! <http://archive.scripting.com/2005/10/07#whatADay>

*** "Web 2.0" Has Arrived
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/10/wo/wo_100705roush.asp?trk=top>
Wade Roush, MIT Technology Review

*** More U.S. Workers Playing Hooky
<http://news.com.com/More+U.S.+workers+playing+hooky/2100-1022_3-5888522.html?tag=nl>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

Calling in sick -- it's the corporate equivalent of "the dog ate my homework."

[Linux]

*** Linspire Nears Million-User Mark
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39226542,00.htm>
Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

The desktop Linux vendor claims to be gaining traction in the enterprise, including a pilot project at a company that has 'hundreds of thousands' of desktops.

[World]

*** Virginity Becomes A Commodity In Uganda's War Against AIDS
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/06/AR2005100602147.html>
Emily Wax, Washington Post

Scholarship program for proven virgins aims to encourage girls to resist entreaties from older men offering them money and security in exchange for sex.

[Life]

*** Do Dogs Think?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2127419/fr/rss/>
Jon Katz, Slate

Owners assume their pet's brain works like their own. That's a big mistake.

*** Everyone's On Board
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/30/AR2005093000467.html>
Roxanne Roberts, Washington Post

On a Caribbean cruise, a mother and a teen find common waters.

*** We Need A Poetry Idol
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,16488,1587032,00.html>
Catherine Gander, The Guardian

Today's sadly neglected writing needs a dynamic, fashionable ambassador to get people reading it.

*** Opening Arguments, Endlessly
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/07/technology/07blawg.html>
Jonathan D. Glater, New York Times

Inside every lawyer, it is said, there is a brilliant writer, held back by professional ambition or by fear of failure. Nowhere is that truism more evident than in the explosion of online blogs by, for and about lawyers.

*** Chinese Town Loses Hyperlink To Future
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fg-internetvillage6oct06,1,6801189.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Ching-Ching Ni, Los Angeles Times

A remote Chinese village was poised for prosperity after a tycoon introduced it to the internet. Then fate stepped in.

*** Police Give Stern Warning To Protester
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,345258,00.html?>
Leslie Koh, Straits Times

The punishment for putting up eight outlets of cartoon elephants in front of Buangkok MRT station to protest against its non-opening: A stern warning from the police.

*** PM Lee Expects Strong Support From Voters When Polls Are Called
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/172056/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Thursday he expected strong support from voters when elections are called.

[Opinion]

*** Love, Hate, Name Something You Ate V
<http://singadventure.blogspot.com/2005/10/love-hate-name-something-you-ate-v.html>
Singapore Adventure

One thing I love about living in Singapore is the ease with which we can get downtown... One thing I hate about living in Singapore is the inexplicable way they "roll up the sidewalks" early.

*** Commuters' Rights Will Be Protected
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/76770.asp>
Joan Chang, for Permanent Secretary (Transport), Today

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]