[MyAppleMenu] Oct 6, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 6 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Big Labels Play Waiting Game With iTunes
<http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/20051006TDY14001.htm>
Steve McClure, Daily Yomiuri

Some of Japan's biggest record companies aren't ready to play ball with iTunes Japan, and that's got some artists crying foul.

*** Which? Calls Apple 'Most Reliable' Brand
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12817>
Macworld UK

*** My Songs, My Format
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/technology/circuits/06basics.html?ex=1286251200&en=30116b1ac1fa2e62&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Sean Captain, New York Times

Those who want to remain neutral in the format wars -- or who want to switch sides -- may spend more and endure inconveniences.

*** iPod, iTunes Still Gaining Share
<http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=9&issue=20051005>
Investor's Business Daily

Piper Jaffray's poll of buying patterns for digital audio players and online music among teenagers suggested that Apple's iPod and iTunes are still growing market share, rather than topping out as many analysts expected.

[Opinion]

*** IBM And Apple Swap Server Strategies
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/10/05/41OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

If Apple gets the message that Xserve G5 is the right solution across the rack server lineup, and not just for specialized markets, it'll have a share of the growing Unix market in addition to that volume market it longs for.

*** Independent Label Addresses The Apple iTunes 99c Question
<http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments_opinion/7113/>
David Faiman, MacDailyNews

Increasing prices now, obviously isn't going to increase number of downloads and, in fact, might stall the whole market and this is my main concern.

*** Video iPod: From Rumor To Reality?
<http://cnet.com.au/mp3players/harddisk/0,39029137,40057403,00.htm>
Jo Best, Silicon.com

Let's examine the evidence...

[Review]

*** Apple .Mac
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1866963,00.asp>
Troy Dreier, PC Magazine

We're impressed that Apple has never raised the price and that users can work seamlessly with their .Mac tools from within the OS and various iLife apps. But at the same time, .Mac still doesn't feel essential or robust enough.

*** The Incredibles: When Danger Calls
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=621>
D.G. Chichester, Inside Mac Games

It's not that the game is outright bad; that, at least, would have spawned a far snarkier review for your enjoyment. It's simply that it's just -- "there."

*** The Best Blogging Tools For The Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/10/features/betterblog/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dori Smith, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Game Pad Gives You Wings
Heng-Cheong Leong

I have nothing much to say except to say that I like the headline created by Gizmodo for this article <http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/game-pad-gives-you-wings-129262.php> about the Aving game pad device.

*** Season Of Acquisition
Heng-Cheong Leong

You are probably familiar with the Unofficial Apple Weblog <http://www.tuaw.com/>, which I do link to often here on MyAppleMenu. But do you know that the Unofficial Apple Weblog is part of a larger venture called Weblogs, Inc? Well, now you know...

Oh, and do you know that Weblogs, Inc. is now part of a larger venture called AOL <http://www.paidcontent.org/pc/arch/2005_10_05.shtml#051691>? Well, now you know too....

*** Wishlist And Reality
Heng-Cheong Leong

My wishlist for the "One More Thing" <http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/05/think-secret-no-video-ipod-on-oct-12th/> next week: a TiVo-like device that you can sync with existing iPods and iPod nano of which the video capability will automagically be enabled via a firmware update.

Reality? I'm guessing pre-Intel Macintosh firesale.

*** New In Fall Colors
Heng-Cheong Leong

Interestingly, both Salon <http://www.salon.com/> and CNET News.com <http://news.com.com/> unveiled their new designs.

*** "Fuck You" Media
Heng-Cheong Leong

Ryan Tate <http://ryantate.com/Updates/Oct52005.html>: I'm still waiting for someone to start a Fuck You newspaper... They just need some balls, some smart investors and a new approach.

*** Smaller Video Producers Seek Audiences On Net
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/technology/06video.html>
Saul Hansell, New York Times

*** Photoshop Magic Melts Prison Bars
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,69035,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Christopher Null, Wired News

For $10, Friends Beyond the Wall takes your prison visiting room photo, crops you and your loved one out of it, and digitally inserts you into one of dozens of exotic backgrounds.

[Tech & Science]

*** Seeing Creation And Evolution In Grand Canyon
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/science/sciencespecial2/06canyon.html?hp&ex=1128657600&en=8fc8f41ec2ec6c4e&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Jodi Wilgoren, New York Times

Two groups examing the same evidence. Traveling nearly identical itineraries, snoozing under the same stars and bathing in the same chocolate-colored river. Yet, standing at opposite ends of the growing creation-evolution debate, they seemed to speaki n different tongues.

[Life]

*** Follow Directions And It's Cake
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/05/dining/05nige.html>
Nigella Lawson, New York Times

Baking is a cinch. More, it is a joy. You need know nothing to be proficient. Proficiency engenders confidence. And confidence breeds an attachment that can become habitual.

*** College Cafeterias Serve Food Grown Close To Home
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/04/AR2005100400263.html>
Judith Weinraub, Washington Post

"Seasonal" and "local" are the watchwords of the food world today.

*** Hurry! Only 81 Days To Go...
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/retail/story/0,16587,1585938,00.html>
Stephen Moss, The Guardian

Tesco stores are covered in baubles, Boots has its 'Xmas' gifts out and John Lewis staff are already wishing customers 'Merry Christmas.' Can they be serious?

*** The Tiger Strikes Again
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/03/AR2005100301754.html?nav=rss_print/style>
Neely Tucker, Washington Post

After an early bedtime, Calvin and Hobbes are up and running in a new collection.

*** Scrambling To Fill A Vacancy After Stern
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/arts/television/06ster.html?ex=1286251200&en=f941beda97be05d6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Jeff Leeds, New York Times

With less than three months to go before Mr. Stern is expected to shift his show -- belching, porn stars and all -- to the subscription-based Sirius Satellite Radio service, dozens of competitors are making a less than subtle play for his listeners.

*** A Writer Not Fusty, If Addicted To Mystery
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/05/books/05ruth.html>
Dinitia Smith, New York Times

When the Nobel-prize winning novelist Toni Morrison is drained after finishing a book, she once said, there is sometimes only one other author she can bear to read -- the British writer Ruth Rendell.

*** News Come In COde: Judy Miller's Return To The Times
<http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/weblogs/pressthink/2005/10/04/tms_pst.html>
Jay Rosen, PressThink

Just one man's opinion, but now is a good time to say it: The New York Times is not any longer -- in my mind -- the greatest newspaper in the land. Nor is it the base line for the public narrative that it once was.

*** URA To Sell Another Orchard Road Site
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/171987/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The Somerset site is at the junction of Orchard Road and Killiney Road, opposite Centrepoint Shopping Centre.

*** Parcel Scare At Nine Embassies
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/10/5/nation/12232478&sec=nation>
The Star

*** Safety Standards For Tall Buildings To Be Raised?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/76533.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

[Opinion]

*** Some Parents, Teachers Ignorant Of Constitutional Rights
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,344967,00.html?>
Aw Wah Soon, Straits Times

No person shall be required to receive instruction in or to take part in any ceremony or act of worship of a religion other than his own.

*** Why Mar The Beauty Of Brickwork By Painting It?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,345136,00.html?>
Goh Tong Jwee, Straits Times

Like so many things in life, we often choose to take the easy way out and live to regret it later.

*** No Reason To Wait 10 Years To Ban Smoking
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,345139,00.html?>
N. V. Ramani and Lee Wei Ling, Straits Times

If chewing gum, which neither kills nor disables, can be banned practically overnight, we see little reason to wait 10 years to ban cigarette smoking in Singapore.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** Shipping & Handling
<http://www.darediablo.com/listen.php>
Darediablo
<http://www.darediablo.com/mp3/Darediablo-ShippingHandling.mp3>

*** When The Morning Comes, And The Day Is Quiet, And You Are In Bed With A Naked Person
<http://www.kelprecords.com/downloads.htm>
The Acorn
<http://www.kelprecords.com/downloads/acorn_nakedperson.mp3>