[MyAppleMenu] Nov 28, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 28 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Disney Narnia iPod Video Deal Non-Mac Only?
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13231>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Access to video clips uses software which does not support Macs.

*** Disney Uses iPods For Ads
<http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=14612&hed=Disney+Uses+iPods+for+Ads&sector=Industries&subsector=InternetAndServices>
Red Herring

Viewers will be able to download and transfer trailers, clips, interviews, and other film content to their PCs and their iPods from the internet channel on the Narnia film's official website.

*** O.C. School Laptop Decree Draws Flak
<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-laptop27nov27,0,117261.story?coll=la-story-footer&track=morenews>
Seema Mehta, Los Angeles Times

An Orange County school district's efforts to integrate technology into students' lives by urging families to purchase laptop computers is creating a furor among parents who say the pricey oblication is segregating their children into the haves and have-nots.

[Opinion]

*** Now Playing Song S
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8583?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Now+playing+song+S>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

Next time you look at a picture, take a few seconds to peek at the screen: its contents reveal more about the company you are about to purchase from than the rest of the ad.

*** Still Planning To Buy An Apple, But...
<http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2005/11/still_planning.html>
Rob Hof, BusinessWeek

When a couple of people with far more tech knowledge than I will ever possess can't get their Apple media stuff to work right, I wonder what I may run into.

[Review]

*** One Email Client To Rule Them All
<http://assortedgeekery.com/archives/2005/11/24/email_client_to_rule_them_all>
Assorted Geekery

It looks like I'll be sticking with Apple Mail, bugs and all. Thunderbird and GyazMail don't seem to offer much in the way of additional functionality. Mailsmith does, but I have a hard time learning to love its UI.

[Sidetrack]

*** New Laptop, New Buttons
Heng-Cheong Leong

At work, I've upgraded to a new laptop, and for the first time ever in my life, I'm using a keyboard that has a "Windows" button right between the "Ctrl" and "Fn" on the left and "Alt" on the right. And it's throwing me off from all my shortcut habits.

I really hope I can get used to this new arrangement quickly, or I'll have to find some key-remapping software soon. :-)

*** Engineers Nervous About Future
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/249902_techies28.html>
Tom Abate, San Francisco Chronicle

Engineers nationally are worried about job security and fearful that the country may be losing its technological lead over foreign rivals, according to a survey of electronics design professionals.

*** For Some Technology Companies, 'Beta' Becomes A Long-Term Label
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113268410649404315-ELrl2qbVdw8qdn2g1oQMKv81cD4_20061127.html?mod=rss_free>
David Kesmodel, Wall Street Journal

Few people would fly on an airline that advertised its planes had untested engines, or swallow a pill from a drug company that admitted the side effects were unknown. Yet when it comes to software, it seems consumers are much more adventurous.

*** As Corporate Ad Money Flows Their Way, Bloggers Risk Their Rebel Reputation
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/26/technology/26blog.html>
Lousie Story, New York Times

After beginning as a vehicle for anti-establishment, noncommercial writers, many blogs have laid out welcome mats for corporate American in the last couple of years.

*** Could You Please Make Me A Shade Lighter?
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1134744,00.html>
Alex Perry, Time

How Indians came to view fair skin as an ideal -- and a business opportunity.

*** Peanuts In The Gallery
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1134770,00.html>
Richard Corliss, Time

Comics, slowly becoming appreciated as literature, are being celebrated in museums too.

*** Upstart From Chinese Province Masters The Art Of TV Titillation
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/28/business/28hunan.html>
David Barboza, New York Times

Here at the headquarters of Hunan TV, the station's producers say their formula for success is simple: create zany, off-beat and even risque entertainment programs in a country still dominated by bland and predictable state-run television programming.

*** For You, Half Price
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/nyregion/thecity/27brid.html>
Gabriel Cohen, New York Times

Since the Brooklyn bridge was completed in 1883, the idea of illegally selling it has become the ultimate example of the power of persuasion. A good salesman could sell it, a great swindler would well it, and the perfect sucker would fall for the scam.

*** Singapore Top Executioner 'Fired'
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4477012.stm>
BBC News

Singapore's chief executioner says he has been sacked after his identity was exposed by the media. "I think [the prison authorities] must be made after seeing my pictures in the newspapers."

*** Aussie Unionist Backs Call For Trade Sanctions Against Singapore
<http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/11/28/business/20051128132128&sec=business>
Associated Press

The leader of Australia's trade union movement said Monday that unionists stood ready to impose trade sanctions against Singapore and urged the government to take stronger steps to save the life of an Austrlian drug trafficker who is to be hanged by the city-state on Friday.

*** Artist's Protest Against Death Penalty Silenced By Singapore Censorship
<http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1517960.htm>
Lisa Millar, ABC

The noose remained but the card with Van Nguyen's prison number was blank. Other media was stopped from taking photos.

*** Singapore Mission Pointless: PM
<http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17387648-29277,00.html>
AAP

Opposition leader Kim Beazley's idea to send a high level mission to Singapore to plead for the life of condemned Australian Nguyen Tuong Van would not change anything, Prime Minister John Howard said today.

*** Unions Mull Action Against Singapore
<http://seven.com.au/news/topstories/124646>
AAP

The ACTU says the trade union movement won't take any unilateral action against the Singaporean government over condemned Australian Nguyen Tuong Van. But ACTU president Sharan Burrow said the next two days would determine whether the unions would join in with combined action of some sort.

*** Mum's Last Plea: Let Me Hug Him
<http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17383967%255E661,00.html>
Edith Bevin and Michael Harvey, Herald Sun

The mother of condemned Australian man Tuong Van Nguyen has begged Singapore to allow her the dignity of hugging her son one last time.

*** Singapore Route Now Off AirAsia's Radar
<http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Monday/Nation/20051127223455/Article/>
AFP

After a long campaign to secure landing rights in Singapore, Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia has said it is no longer interested in the lucrative short-haul route.

*** Leaders Call For Silent Protest
<http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17383822-2,00.html>
Elizabeth Colman and Steve Lewis, The Australian

Church leaders and members from both sides of Australian politics have called for the nation to stop and observe a minute's silence on Friday when convicted drug trafficker Tuong Van Nguyen is due to be hanged.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]