[MyAppleMenu] Nov 23, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 23 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Battle for iTunes.co.uk Is Over
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39237481,00.htm>
Matt Loney, ZDNet UK

The fat lady has sung for Ben Cohen's fight over the iTunes.co.uk domain. The lesson for others embroiled in domain name disputes: use the procedures, don't go running off to court and don't call Apple users a cult.

*** S.Korea Watchdog Probes Samsung's Apple Supply Deal
<http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=governmentFilingsNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20051123:MTFH36430_2005-11-23_02-01-41_SEO225624:1>
Reuters

South Korea is investigating a flash memory supply deal between Samsung and Apple over pricing, officials at the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) said on Wednesday.

*** Samsung, Hynix, Toshiba Shares Plunge After Intel-Micron Flash Deal
<http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/051122/b112218.html>
Kelly Olsen, Associated Press

[Opinion]

*** Instant Gratification From Apple?
<http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05112225.htm>
Seth Jayson, Motley Fool

I think Apple going to be offering instant-on computers in the very near future. Make that near-instant. Faster than normal, anyway.

*** Giving Thanks
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2005/11/thanksgiving/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

[Review]

*** Of Macs & Tux
<http://www.mb.com.ph/TECH2005112349914.html>
om Feria, Manila Bulletin

The .Mac advantage.

*** HTML Tools On The Mac Command Line
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/11/22/cli-tools.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=HTML+Tools+on+the+Mac+Command+Line>
Robert Daeley, O'Reilly Network

I'll be focusing on how these few utilities can help while working with HTML on Mac OS X.

[Sidetrack]

*** Kopi-O!
Heng-Cheong Leong

Vietnam's coffee -- both taste and presentation -- is definitely pretty unique, as blogged by Meg <http://www.megnut.com/2005/11/the-magic-of-vietnamese-coffee>. I find it pretty good, but my wife prefers the Kopi-O <http://www.flickr.com/photos/miyagi/17342543/> at our local coffeeshop <http://sg.ksdb.com/768018.page>.

Note: In the language of Singapore <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Singapore>, Kopi-O means coffee with sugar but without milk. It literally translates to "coffee-black".

*** TiVo Handheld Device Software Draws Ire At TV Network
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1892482,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Chris Preimesberger, eWeek

*** Library Of Congress Plans World Digital Library
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1892040,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Eric Auchard, Reuters

[World]

*** The Misleaders
<http://www.slate.com/id/2130884/>
Jacob Weisberg, Slate

Powell's old colleagues now defend themselves by saying they didn't know their claims about Iraq weren't true. But the truth is most of them didn't care whether their assertions were true or not, and they still don't.

[Life]

*** An Anchor Who Carried Weight
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/22/AR2005112202036.html>
Tom Shales, Washington Post

In the 25-year history of "Nightline," millions tuned in not because Koppel seemed like the man who thought he knew everything but because he gave the impression of wanting to know everything.

[Expressions]

*** Birdland
<http://www.richmondreview.co.uk/library/fienne01.html>
William Fiennes, The Richmond Review

Reflections of green pixelled phrases hover in the thick panes of Malcolm Collier's spectacles whenever he leans close to his computer screen. I noticed this when we sat together in the study of Malcolm's comfortable home, Fo'c'sle, just outside Letchworth, one evening earlier this year. Malcom is a burly man in his late forties and there is a gap between his two front teeth that suggests a single ebony semi-tone on a piano keyboard.

*** Walking Wu Wei's Scroll
<http://www.thedrunkenboat.com/wirth.html>
Ann Fisher-Wirth, The Drunken Boat

[Ramblings]

*** What Has Nationality Have To Do With Punishment?
Heng-Cheong Leong

On the one hand, we have people saying that people shouldn't be treated differently under the law, depending on the nationality of their passports. I agree, but I am opposed to the death penalty, so if it takes Australia to ignite discussions about the justification of using capital punishment, I'm all for it.

On the other hand, in a letter which I totally do not understand, Chan Kim Yong seems to argue that we should give out different punishments <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,354343,00.html?> based on the offender's origin of birth.

[News]

*** Singaporeans Back Death Penalty
<http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1514768.htm>
Lisa Millar, ABC

*** 'Whilst There's Life, There's Hope'
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/singapore-hypocritical-judge/2005/11/23/1132421693497.html>
AAP

Victoria's Attorney-General Rob Hulls is still hopeful the Singapore government will spare the life of condemned drug trafficker Nguyen Tuong Van.

*** Singapore Govt To Quit Industrial Land Development
<http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/11/23/business/12668894&sec=business>
The Star

The Singapore government will exit the business of developing industrial land and divest properties worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

*** Singapore's Hand In Golden Triangle
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,17336571,00.html>
Michael McKenna, The Australian

While Singapore has an unwavering policy of hanging drug mules such as Australia's Nguyen Tuong Van without mercy, it has for years been one of the strongest backers of Burma, the world's second-biggest producer of heroin.

*** Court Appeal For Nguyen Pointless: PM
<http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17337080-2,00.html>
Daily Telegraph

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday said the fate of condemned Australian Van Tuong Nguyen was sealed, despite pressure for the government to appeal to the International Court of Justice in a bid to save the drug trafficker's life.

[Opinion]

*** Trade In Your Dog, Upgrade To New One. What's Next?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,354339,00.html?>
Brigit Sebastian, Straits Times

I am rather disgusted by the latest sales gimmick from a pet shop which promises to replace any dog with a new one.

*** Allow CPF Funds For Home Rentals
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/86026.asp>
Kuo How Nam, Today

*** Singapore 'Misjudged Likely Fallout'
<http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17333593-2,00.html>
Paul Kelly, The Australian

Singapore has the most intimate ties with Australia of any Asian nation, yet the issue of Van Tuong Nguyen exposes the rift over principles and culture that bedevils Australia's ties with Asia.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]