[MyAppleMenu] May 31, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 31 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Newcomer Is No.1; Apple's Jobs Falls To 99
<http://www.latimes.com/business/careers/work/la-fi-newbies31may31,1,7538062.story?coll=la-headlines-business-careers>
Josh Friedman, Los Angeles Times

Apple boss Steve Jobs, who topped the Los Angeles Times' executive pay survey last year, is next to last on the new list after his compensation plunged from $74.8 million to just $1.

[Opinion]

*** Kill The "iPod Killers"
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/05/killipodkill/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

The popularity of the iPod is about far more than the device's design. The iPod is part of a digital music experience -- one that beautifully integrates an intuitive software client in iTues and a source for music in the iTunes Music Store. Name a simple "iPod killer" that offers this kind of integration. It doesn't exist.

*** Source Lists
<http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/2005/05/source_lists>
Sven-S. Porst, Quarter Life Crisis

Not even within the company that makes up the operating system and writes down the rules for the user interface, there seems to be a single concept of what a source list is and how it should behave.

*** How Apple Will Change Everything About Podcasting, #2 -- How Much Could Howard Stern Make Podcasting Via iTunes Vs. Broadcasting Via Sirius?
<http://www.rexblog.com/2005/05/29#a6980>
Rex Hammock, rexblog.com

*** Mail And Click Through
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3107>
Brent Simmons, inessential.com

The new toolbar does the icons-inside-buttons thing, which makes sense, and may be a usability gain. However, here's a weird thing I noticed.

*** Focus Madness
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3106>
Brent Simmons, inessential.com

OS X has been a step backwards for focus indication, which makes using your computer just a little bit harder than it should be.

[Review]

*** Griffin Powermate
<http://binarybonsai.com/archives/2005/05/30/griffin-powermate/>
Binary Bonsai

I like it, but the price is a bit heavy for something which isn't quite as nice as it could have been.

[Sidetrack]

*** So, The iPhone Was Delayed?
Heng-Cheong Leong

The switch <http://theswitch.blogsome.com/2005/05/31/itunes-48-supports-ipod-phone/> blog discovered localization support for phone within the current version of iTunes. So, perhaps, iPhone was indeed delay due to non-technical issues as it was supposed to be introduced together with iTunes 4.8?

Just guessing, on my part.

*** An Apple A Day
Heng-Cheong Leong

Ridiculous Fish <http://ridiculousfish.com/blog/>: I'm a developer on Apple's AppKit team; I work to make Cocoa better. With a few exceptions, we are responsible for both AppKit and Foundation. This is my blog.

*** IT Giants Accused Of Exploiting Open Source
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39201077,00.htm>
Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

Major companies that sell open source software have been accused by a top EU official of treating open source developers as mere subcontractors.

*** Is Your Laptop A Pain In The Neck?
<http://news.com.com/Is+your+laptop+a+pain+in+the+neck/2100-1022_3-5723559.html?part=rss&tag=5723559&subj=news>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

As people ditch desktop computers to work full time on laptops, doctors expect to see a lot more pains, strains and injuries among white collar workers.

[World]

*** Long Fight Back For Malaysia's Invisible Man
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldbriefing/story/0,15205,1495804,00.html>
Simon Tisdall, The Guardian

Anwar Ibrahim, Malaysia's leading opposition figure, launched a series of rallies and speeches across the country at the weekend -- but you would not know it from reading the newspapers.

[Life]

*** for Train Riders, Middle seat Isn't The Center Of Attention
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/31/nyregion/31seat.html>
Patrick McGeehan, New York Times

Because commuters would rather stand than occupy a middle seat, transit systems are reworking trains' seating arrangements.

*** Watching New Love As It Sears The Brain
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/31/health/psychology/31love.html?8hpib>
Benedict Carey, New York Times

Now for the first time, neuroscientists have produced brain scan images of new love.

[Expressions]

*** Blues In Half-Tones, 3/4 Time
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2118308/fr/rss/>
Rita Dove, Slate

[Ramblings]

*** Bloggers.SG
Heng-Cheong Leong

Executive Summary: Saturday, 16 July 2005, Woodlands Regional Library. More details and comments here <http://tomorrow.sg/archives/2005/05/31/singapore_bloggers_convention_20.html>.

[News]

*** NWC Urges Higher Pay Increase For Low-Wage Workers
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/150298/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Hospitals Retrench 108 Staff -- Report
<http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/050531/15/3srps.html>
Dow Jones

THe Singapore General Hospital and KK Women's and Children's Hospital are retrenching a total of 108 employees as part of a plan to oursource operations to a unit of Keppel Corp, a Singapore afternoon newspaper said Tuesday.

*** China Says Detained Reporter For Singapore Newspaper Admits Spying
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/5/31/latest/20050531124634&sec=latest>
Associated press

The Chiense government said Tuesday that a detained reporter for Singapore's Straits Times newspaper has admitted to spying for a foreign intelligence agency.

[Opinion]

*** Why Remisier's Pleadings Kept From Public?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/53411.asp>
J.B. Jeyaretnam, Today

What were the reasons for the court excluding any public inspection of the pleadings?

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]