[MyAppleMenu] May 30, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 30 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Schools See Laptops As Motivator
<http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050530/NEWS02/505300339/1001>
Jonathan Roos, Des Moines Register

[Opinion]

*** Is Apple A Good Open Source Citizen?
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/30/22OPopenent_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/30/22OPopenent_1.html>
Neil McAllister, InfoWorld

If the momentum behind open source is going to continue to build, companies and independent developers must find a way to get along -- even if they don't always agree on practices.

*** Capsules Are The New New Thing
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3104>
Brent Simmons, inessential.com

[Review]

*** Windows-Mac Transition Should Be Painless
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/11758991.htm>
John J. Fried, Knight Ridder News Service

[Sidetrack]

*** Apples And Oranges
Heng-Cheong Leong

Mike Langberg <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002292806_btsoho30.html>, Knight Ridder Newspapers: The combination of Tiger and the G5 is delivering today as much or more as Longhorn is promising in 18 months.

*** Better PowerPC Chips For Macintosh Users?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Now that IBM has gained three more customers <http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/11762392.htm> -- Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo -- who are all out to create the most powerful gaming machines, can we see better chips for Macintosh users too?

*** Yes Sir, There Will Be Support For Podcast In The Next Windows Media Player
Heng-Cheong Leong

That's because Robert Scoble <http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/05/29.html#a10243> says so.

Well, that's not exactly what he said. Actually, I don't know what he actually said. All he said is that there is a podcasting team. Doesn't say what the team actually does.

Maybe podcasting is just another codename for implementing WinFS on the next-next version of Windows.

:-)

But seriously, podcasting will go mainstream. That's my prediction. We will -- or at least, my daughter will -- look back at the history of media, and note that the era of broadcasting is just a short exception to the rule of customer being in control.

*** Spam Milestone
Heng-Cheong Leong

Today marks a brand new milestone for me: I received my first-ever SMS spam.

*** The Ultimate iPod-Killer
Heng-Cheong Leong

Shawn Hartley <http://www.sh2.com/2005/05/29/my-poor-lonely-ipod/>: It is kind of funny that the first product that could truly be called an iPod killer, is in fact, a different iPod.

Shawn is talking about the iPod shuffle, which he uses more often than his first-generation iPod, which he also owns.

To me, the greatest appeal of the iPod is not because it is an iPod. The greatest appeal is iTunes. For any other companies that want to create an iPod-killer for me, they would have to duplicate the iTunes experience, and they would have to make the experience work for me on my iBook.

[Wintel]

*** Intel Preps Mac Mini Look-Alike
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,67664,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Simon Burns, Wired News

A new Wintel prototype that openly apes Apple's popular Mac mini is due out this week, sources told Wired News, giving Intel a showcase to prove its chips are a match for anyone when it comes to tiny PC designs.

*** It's A Wiki, Wiki World
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1066904,00.html>
Chris Taylor, Time

Want to add your 2 cents to an encyclopedia? Join the crowd.

*** No Privacy In Your Cubicle? Try An Electronic Silencer
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/30/technology/30hillis.html?ex=1275105600&en=9438d14aa4751700&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
John Markoff, New York Times

The cone of silence, called Babble, is actually a device composed of a sound processor and several speakers that multiply and scramble voices that come within its range.

[World]

*** America, A Symbol Of...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/30/opinion/30herbert.html>
Bob Herbert, New York Times

In much of the world, the image of the U.S. under Mr. Bush morphed from an idealized champion of liberty to a heavily armed thug in camouflage fatigues.

*** Ground Zero Is So Over
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/29/opinion/29rich.html?8hpib>
Frank Rich, New York Times

Perhaps it was inevitable we'd end up at pure unadulterated farce.

[Life]

*** Pitfalls For Parents
<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/articles/050606/6adoption.htm>
Kit R. Roane, U.S. News

International adoption has become big business, but regulation still lags.

*** Face To Face With Death
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8017907/site/newsweek/>
Vanessa Juarez, Newsweek

The funeral industry is opening up to newcomers who want to comfort families in mourning.

*** In Defense Of Certainty
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1066928,00.html>
Charles Krauthammer, Time

It's trendy to be suspicious of people with "deeply held views." And it's wrong.

*** The Hill Still Resonate
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/30/movies/MoviesFeatures/30soun.html?8hpib>
Todd S. Purdum, New York Times

In hindsight, a compelling case can be made for "The Sound of Music," as the last picture show of its kind, a triumph of craftsmanship and the apogee of the studio system that produced the kind of entertainment that dominated mid-20th-century mass culture.

*** Mama Warned Us About Fast Food And Fast Women
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/28/AR2005052800979.html>
Paul Farhi, Washington Post

Everything had to come together for such a button-pushing masterpiece to succeed.

[Expressions]

*** A Mouthful Of Cut Glass
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/050606fi_fiction>
Tessa Hadley, New Yorker

[Ramblings]

*** Frightened Of The Musical Fountain
Heng-Cheong Leong

Mr Dew <http://beconfused.com/blog/2005/05/29/away-sentosa/>: The Musical Fountain in Sentosa is perhaps one of the best features of Sentosa.

The first (and only time, so far) that I bought my 2-year-old daughter to Sentosa, she was really scared when we were at the musical fountain. You see, there's this huge scary creature (the Merlion building) standing right in front of her, with eyes that shoot out lasers.

So, I had to bring her out again, and didn't see the show. :-)

[News]

*** PTC Approves Fare Increases For Trains And Buses
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/150137/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal and Yvonne Cheong, Channel NewsAsia

Train fares will go up by between one and three cents if paid by the ez-link card. For buses, these will go up by between one and two cents.

*** Hong Kong Reporter Being Held By China
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/29/AR2005052900986.html?referrer=emailarticle>
Philip P. Pan, Washington Post

Ching, a Hong Kong citizen and a permanent legal resident of Singapore, is widely considered one of the most knowledgeable correspondents covering China.

*** Singapore Media Group Says Reporter Detained In China
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=8638012&type=worldNews>
Reuters

The chief China correspondent of Singapore's government-linked English-language daily, the Straits Times, has been detained in Beijing, the newspaper's publisher Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. said on Monday.

*** The Makings Of A President
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/53181.asp>
Derrick A Paulo, Today

With election looming, some observers urge loosening of eligibility rules.

*** Lion City Snaps Up Best Sites
<http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/World/GE30Wd06.html>
Bernice Han, Hong Kong Standard

Got any prime property to sell for a few hundred million dollars in a major world capital? Try offering it to Singapore, a land-scarce but cash-rich country emerging as a global property titan as it snaps up everything from serviced apartments in Japan to malls in Britain as part of a long-term investment strategy.

[Opinion]

*** Gag Order
<http://www.bigwhiteguy.com/archive/2005/05/30/gag_order/index.php>
Randall van der Woning, Big White Guy

beijing ought to spend less time criticising Japan over revisionist textbooks and focus more on its own moral responsibilities.

*** Don't Be Sexist: They're Stewardesses, Not 'Girls'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/53227.asp>
Richard Holland, Today

I was most offended by the blatant sexual discrimination and patronising tone adopted by a subsidiary of a well-known national airline which was seeking to recruit stewardesses.

*** Rethink Blanket Rule Banning Dual Citizenship
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/53185.asp>
Lim Thiam Poh, Today

*** Uncreative And High-Handed
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/53218.asp>
Denis Distant and Jeffrey Law Lee Beng, Today

LTA's new proposals sound ineffective and a 'revenue-raising exercise.'

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]