[MyAppleMenu] Jun 26, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 26 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Apple, M-Audio To Offer New Hardware For Musicians
<http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/industries/11986236.htm>
Greg Sandoval, Associated Press

At Apple's request, M-Audio has designed a new music-mixing board designed specifically to control Apple's garageBand.

*** Secret Identity
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2005/06/25/secret_identity/>
Joseph P. Kahn, Boston Globe

Apple is suing 19-year-old Nicholas Ciarelli. Is he an arch web villian or a cyber hero?

[Opinion]

*** The iPod's Dirty Little Secret
<http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2005/06/26/the_ipods_dirty_little_secret/>
Mark Pothier, Boston Globe

The popularity of Apple's iPod has further accelerated the disappearance of visual clues to who might be compatible or, at least, safe. Getting next to a 1.67-inch backlit screen requires cooperation or intimacy, and where's the fun in that?

[Sidetrack]

*** We Like It Cold
Heng-Cheong Leong

In Singapore, where the two seasons are simply hot, and hotter, it's no wonder we treasure our air-conditioners. And where such a sight <http://www.flickr.com/photos/turniptopia/21575390/>, though not too common, is not really surprising.

*** Rumor Today: July 7th Is The Date
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, it looks like you'll will not have the new iTunes to tinker with during your July 4th holiday. AppleInsider <http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1148> reported that Apple is holding a very special event on July 7th, probably to launch it's new iTunes -- Podcast edition.

But, the question is, will you also get new iPods on July 7th?

*** Buying The Cow, Though The Milk Is Free: Why Some Publishers Are Digitizing Themselves
<http://www.thebookstandard.com/bookstandard/news/publisher/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000968186>
Anna Weinberg, The Book Standard

*** The Opening
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/06/26/the_opening/>
Ethan Gilsdorf, Boston Globe

Follow Brian Lesser as he launches a Back Bay trattoria, going from blueprints to braised rabbit in just over a year. He dreams of packing the place and turning a buck. Can he and his team pull it off?

*** E-Mailapropism
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/26/magazine/26ONLANGUAGE.html?ex=1277438400&en=e0c074a60b95c387&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Charlton Reynders Jr., New York Times

In recent years, mankind has devised means of information transmission so vast and so rapid and so efficient that they would seem to challenge the natural order. But our capacity to communicate nonetheless seems, for some mysterious reason, to have diminished radically.

*** Their Unexpected Adolescence
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/26/magazine/26KIDS.html?ex=1277438400&en=cfa7465ce128b432&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Jonathan Dee, New York Times

Over the last decade, the revolution in medical treatment of H.I.V. has created a generation of young people whose unexpected maturation is both a miracle and an extraordinary challenge. The idea that any H.I.V.-infected child could reach adolescence without knowing he or she has the disease threatens to beggar belief.

*** The New Fragility Of Marriage, For Better Or For Worse
<http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=ek3jux83y65oy150jwad617cacgsie5>
Stephanie Coontz, CChronicle Of Higher Education

The current rearrangement of both married and single life is without historical precedent. When it comes to the overall place of marriage in society and the relationship between husbands and wives, nothing in the past is anything like what we have today, even if it may look similar at first glance.