[MyAppleMenu] Jun 25, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 25 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Cingular Considering iTunes Phone -- Sources
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/24/AR2005062401369.html>
Sinead Carew, Reuters

Cingular Wireless, the No. 1 U.S. mobile service, is considering selling a Motorola cell phone that can play music using Apple's iTunes music service, sources familiar with the matter said on Friday.

*** Faster Talk: Apple In Their Eyes
<http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/95/fast-talk-extra.html>
Jennifer Vilaga, Fast Company

Digital-audio players weren't exactly virgin territory when Apple netered the fray in 2001. But the iPod -- with its sublime design, intuitive usability, and unparralleled cool quotient -- set a new standard by which all other MP3 players would be judged. Six rivals talk here about designing their answer to an icon.

[Review]

*** Easier Automated isight Snapshots
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/7279>
Gordon Meyer, O'Reilly Network

I'm happy to have stumbled across Axel Bauer's isightcapture utility.

*** Switching To Mac Easier Than You Think
<http://www.betanews.com/article/Switching_to_Mac_Easier_Than_You_Think/1119665575>
Ed Oswald, BetaNews

Due to Mac's ease of use, no-hassle operating system, and the productivity boost it has provided, I find myself using Windows less and less.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Draws Cheers, Jeers Over RSS In Longhorn
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1831451,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Matt Hicks, eWeek

The core of Microsofft's RSS plans is to bring feeds into Windows applications, bot its own and those from developers.

*** Microsoft Makes Web Feeds Easier
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4621223.stm>
Jo Twist, BBC News

IE7 will have an orange button on the toolbar which will light up when it detects a Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feed on a site.

*** Almost All Libraries Offer Free Web Access
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/24/national/24library.html?ex=1277265600&en=864132d4843c7fe3&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Gretchen Ruethling, New York Times

*** Sun's New New New Java Nomenclature
<http://news.com.com/2061-10808_3-5761479.html?part=rss&tag=5761479&subj=news>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

Java has had 10 years to accumulate an awkward hodgepodge of version numbering systems. The newest chapter in this enumeration history will begin next week at the JavaOne trade show.

*** The Race To Alaska Before It Melts
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/26/travel/26alaska.html?ex=1277438400&en=e88a73a4a3496676&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Timothy Egan, New York Times

To some visitors who fear that global warming is toblame for the accelerated pace of change, theer is a sense of urgency in their travel planning. They seem to be fearful that if they don't get to Alaska soon, they will never see the full glory of the state's frozen magnificence.

*** Body Parts Case: Lawyer Can't Meet Accused
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/58098.asp>
Wong Fei Wan, Today

When should an accused person be allowed access to his lawyer? And is he presumed innocent until proven guilty? These fundamental questions were hotly debated in court yesterday.

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore Fling
<http://news.scotsman.com/features.cfm?id=693552005>
Alexandra Borthwick, The Scotsman

I'm not one of those bores who can't cross the Channel without a box of Weetabix. But I reasoned that somewhere in Singapore there must be a trace of Scottishness to quell my homesick blues.