[MyAppleMenu] Jan 29, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 29 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Podcasting Brings Radio On Demand To Your iPod
<http://rdu.news14.com/content/Living/tech_talk/default.asp?ArID=62954>
Adam Balkin, NY1

Chances are, if you own an mp3 player like an iPod, you have it stuffed with all the music you like -- just the music. Now, though, you can also start toting around the radio programming you like.

*** PowerSchool To Help Teachers, Parents
<http://www.pulaskicountydemocrat.com/articles/2005/01/28/pcd/schools_sports/news05.txt>
Ed Musgrove, Richland Mirror And The Pulaski County Democrat

"PowerSchool met all the criteria above, plus it offered an online web access for parents and students and automated e-mail updates for parents."

*** Creating A Wireless Classroom
<http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~7514~2678447,00.html>
Bill Carey, Berkshire Eagle

A slew of educational, political and business leaders gathered yesterday to celebrate a pilot program that will supply Apple laptop computers to some 2,500 students in Pittsfield and North Adams middle schools.

*** Best Buy To Sell Mac Mini, iPod Shuffle In Stores
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/28/bestbuy/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0105>
MacCentral

[Opinion]

*** Why Apple Makes A One Buttoned Mouse
<http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/why_apple_makes_a_one_buttoned_mouse_01280820/>
Gear Live

Although I can envision a day where Apple will ship with a two button mouse, they have really, really, really good reasons for sticking to a one button mouse.

*** Unloading An Older Apple Powerbook
<http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2005/012005/01292005/1652705>
Chris Muldrow, Free Lance-Star

Making the decision to upgrade isn't always easy.

*** The School Of The Future
<http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~6267~2680666,00.html>
Berkshire Eagle

Everyone in the America of the future will have to be cmputer literate, and middle school is a good place to start.

*** Bloggers As Journalists: Why We Fight Apple's Subpoenas
<http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/002242.php>
Kurt Opsahl, Electronic Frontier Foundation

Online journalism, whether in the form of blogs, email newsletters, or websites, is a growing part of our national discourse.

*** Into The Mac Trap
<http://www.infoworld.com//article/05/01/28/05OPcurve_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com//article/05/01/28/05OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

The combination of no pressure, the spooky quiet, and pristine white surroundings made this Apple Store feel like a mixture of a museum, a church, and the waiting room at the Mercedes-Benz dealership.

*** Dethroning King Gillette
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050127.html>
Robert X. Cringely, PBS

In the case of Apple, is the iPod a razor or a blade?

[Review]

*** iPod Photo Is Almost A Dream Come True
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/2002164310_ptgett29.html>
Linda Knapp, Seattle Times

*** The Mac/Thinkpad Shuffle
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/6326>
Jonathan Gennick, O'Reilly Network

Despite a few rough points during the configuration and setup process, and despite a few adjustments she's had to make, [my daughter] Jenny is a very happy teenager. When I offer to take back the iBook and let her keep her Thinkpad, the answer is a resounding "No!"

[Wintel]

*** Regulators Tell Microsoft There's Plenty In A Name
<http://news.com.com/Regulators+tell+Microsoft+theres+plenty+in+a+name/2100-1016_3-5555523.html?part=rss&tag=5555523&subj=news.1016.20>
Alore Gilbert, CNET News.com

Microsoft has agreed to rename the new slimmed-down version of Windows it's preparing to release in Europe, after antitrust regulators there balked at the title.

*** Tablet PCs Primed For The Mainstream
<http://www.infoworld.com//article/05/01/28/05NNtablet_1.html>
Joris Evers, InfoWorld

Two years after introducing Tablet PC technology, Microsoft is attempting to drive it into the mainstream in 2005 with less expensive tablets, but some analysts believe reduced prices alone won't do the trick.

*** Dead Herring Sandwich
<http://doc.weblogs.com/2005/01/28#deadHerringSandwich>
Doc Searls

The real conflicts are between old systems that everybody knows and new systems we're just starting to figure out.

*** The Currency Of Offshoring
<http://news.com.com/The+currency+of+offshoring/2061-1022_3-5555457.html?part=rss&tag=5555457&subj=news.1022.20>
Ed Frauenheim, CNET News.com

Much of the discussion about skilled U.S. jobs going offshore focuses on fairly tangible topcis such as low wages in Asia, better telecommunications systems and even guest worker visas. But another, more arcane subject may play a role in U.S. job losses as well: currency policy.

*** Singapore Heightens Precautions For Bird Flu Virus
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/1/29/latest/21028Singapore&sec=latest>
Associated Press

Singapore authorities said Saturday they are stepping up inspections of farms and poultry imports at border checkpoints to keep out bird flu, which has killed 11 people in Vietnam over the past month.

*** National Library Puts Authors Online
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/33629.asp>
Channel NewsAsia

The National Library Board has launched Singapore's only online repository of artistic works.