[MyAppleMenu] Jan 28, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jan 28 13:15:04 EST 2005

*** JHymn Goes Behind Atoms And Apple To Bring DRM-Free Music
<http://osdir.com/Article3823.phtml>
Howard Wen, O'Reilly Network

"What I say is that all I'm trying to do is to get the same flexibility to use my music that I'd have if I purchased a CD and ripped it myself, and that my efforts aid piracy no more than the existence of CDs aid piracy.

*** My iPod, My Self
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66426,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

Marketing professor Markus Giesler has some colorful ideas about Apple's music player. He argues it transforms listeners into "cyborg consumers," plugging them into a "hybrid entertainment matrix" where they can achieve "technotranscendence."

*** Apple Spotlight Patent Reveals 3-Year Head Start On Microsoft
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/01/27.10.shtml>
Bryan Chaffin, Mac Observer

*** iMovie HD 5.0.1 Released
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/27/imoviehd/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0105>
Peter Cohen, MacCentral

iMovie HD 5.0.1 "addresses issues related to video and audio synchronization for DV projects and other minor issues," according to Apple.

*** iMovie HD 5.0.1 Released
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/27/imoviehd/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0105>
Peter Cohen, MacCentral

[Opinion]

*** The Mac Mini: Apples And Oranges And Software
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/miniapplesandoranges3/index.php>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

The truth is that for many buyers the software that comes with the Mac mini will be a significant benefit because it makes the mini more functional than similarly configured (hardware-wise) Windows PCs.

*** Predictions: I Said, You Said
<http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2005/commentary05012702.htm?ref=foolwatch>
Rick Aristotle Munarriz, Motley Fool

[Review]

*** Griffin RadioShark: Great White USB Device Lets You Record And Pause Live Radio
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/reviews/radioshark/index.php>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Its software could use mor epolish, but it delivers the goods.

*** Apple iTunes 4.7.1
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1756006,00.asp>
Michael Kobrin, PC Magazine

*** Apple iLife '05
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1756088,00.asp>
Michael Kobrin, PC Magazine

All but iMovie compete well with the best Microsoft Windows has to offer consumers.

*** Apple iWork '05
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1755729,00.asp>
Edward Mendelson, PC Magazine

iWork '05 is a fine effort. It gives most Mac users an affordable alternative to Word, and whets the appetite for a more filled-out suite, which we hope is in the works.

*** A Linux Geek Embraces Mac OS X
<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1755304,00.asp>
Jim lynch, ExtremeTech

Some of my thoughts will no doubt strike veteran Mac users as silly, stupid, or downright heretical! For that all i can say is: Hey, I'm a newbie.

*** GarageBand 2: Features Of Note
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/01/gb2features/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** 20 Years Late, Apple Launches $500 Mac
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41723-2005Jan27.html?nav=rss_technology>
Matthew Fordahl, Associated Press

Despite the name, it's watered down only in size and cost. THis is as much a Mac as any other that's been sold over the years.

*** The Incredibles
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=552>
Ted Bade, Inside Mac Games

The Incredibles game isn't all that incredible. It is a fast paced game, with excellent animated graphics and terrific cut scenes, but stumbles in the game play and finished quality department.

*** Virtual PC 7
<http://www.it-enquirer.com/main/ite/more/virtual_pc_7/>
IT-Enquirer

*** Build Your Own PVR (For Free) With HackTV
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/01/26/hacktv.html>
Erica Sadun, O'Reilly Network

The secret is Apple's little-known HackTV utility. It allows you to watch TV via FireWire.

*** Apple's New $499 Mac Mini A Slick Little Budget Computer
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2005-01-26-baig_x.htm>
Edward C. Baig, USA Today

Once all is said and done, the Mac Mini will cost more than comparable entry-level Windows machines. You could make the case, though, that with the software loaded on the Mini, you're getting more bang for your buck.

*** Mac Mini: Perfect Bookshelf Box For Mac Minimalists
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/reviews/macminireview/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0105>
Jennifer Berger, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Buy Me, Bug Me
Heng-Cheong Leong

With the speedier flow of information bought about by the web, I often found myself new gadgets and widgets that I wish I can buy, but is either not available in where I live, or the price is beyond me.

But, every so often, I find myself longing for something that I cannot even buy, because it's not for sale. Today, it's the hanging alarm clock <http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/household/hanging-alarm-clock-031318.php>.

(My alarm clock went off at 6.00 am this morning, but I wasn't fully awake until 7.05 am. But, you probably don't need to know that.)

*** Rumor Today: 512-Meg Mac Mini Is Coming
Heng-Cheong Leong

Pioneer Press <http://yourtech.typepad.com/main/2005/01/512meg_mac_mini.html>: Stay tuned for at least one out-of-the-box config with 512 megabytes of RAM... as soon as next week, I've been told.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Reports Profit Surge
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+reports+profit+surge/2100-1014_3-5553600.html?part=rss&tag=5553600&subj=news.1014.20>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Citing strength in both the business and consumer markets, Microsoft on Thursday reported better-than-expected quarterly sales -- and profits that doubled those of a year ago.

[Top Stories]

*** Righting Copyright
<http://www.bookforum.com/boynton.html>
Robert S. Boynton, Book Forum

Fair use and "digital environmentalism."

[News]

*** PowerPoint Goes To The Fair
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/27/technology/circuits/27fair.html?ex=1264654800&en=f823e2d67cdc48b9&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Marcia Biederman, New York Times

Technology is rapidly changing the world of science, but it is now only starting to change the world of the science project, a ritual of the academic year. Now that computers are second nature to many students, some teachers are abandoning the traditional cardboard displays in favor of electronic files. Some are even creating PowerPoint templates to make it easier for students to produce a smart-looking showcase.

*** Why Punish The Technology?
<http://news.com.com/Why+punish+the+technology/2061-12_3-5553789.html?part=rss&tag=5553789&subj=news.12.20>
Charles Cooper, CNET News.com

The entertainment industry's challenge might lead to a change in the law that renders potentially important technologies stillborn.

*** No-Cost Skype Strikes Chord With Businesses
<http://news.com.com/No-cost+Skype+strikes+chord+with+businesses/2100-7352_3-5553053.html>
Marguerita Reardon, CNET News.com

The Internet telephony software Skype has found its way into the business world, as corporate road warriors and remote workers use it to reduce long-distance and cell phone costs.

[World]

*** Read My Ears
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/27/opinion/27fried.html?ex=1264568400&en=f6b174fef8a325b4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
THomas L. Friedman, New York Times

The only thing that President Bush could do to change people's minds about him would be to travel across Europe and not say a single word -- but just listen.

[Life]

*** He Said "Penis"!
<http://www.salon.com/ent/2005/01/27/ptc_fcc/index_np.html>
Amy Reiter, Salon

Warning: The way a right-wing "parents" group is wasting the FCC's time might just make you (dare we say it?) "pissed."

*** Can I Beat A Lie Detector?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2112734/fr/rss/>
Emily Yoffe, Slate

I always tell the truth. But not today.

*** How One Activist Thrives In Singapore
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/33464.asp>
Ng Shing Yi, Today

Braema Mathi's creed is negotiation, not protest.

*** Singapore Labelled 'A Hub For Illegal Wildlife Trade'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/33463.asp>
Jasmine Yin, Today

Strategic position may be attracting organised crime, says AVA.

*** Talk Of Tiger Airways Flying Into Subang Raises Eyebrows
<http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/1/28/business/10021487&sec=business>
B.K. Sidhu, The Star

Singapore's budget airline Tiger Airways flying into Subang airport and leasing aircraft from Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd (PMB), and eventually PMB ending up with a stake in Tiger, is that all possible?

*** An Investor Meets Her Match
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/01/26/bloomberg/sxtemasek.html>
William Mellor, Bloomberg

Can Tamask chief expand abroad while raising disclosure?

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore: Heat, SHopping And Eating
<http://www.thread.co.nz/article/306>
Thread

My top picks for a good time on holiday in the Lion City.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]