[MyAppleMenu] Jan 20, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 20 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Legal Downloads Soar In iPod WOrld
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/208543_downloads20.html>
Angus Whitley, Bloomberg

Legal music downloads in the United States and Europe increased tenfold in 2004 after demand surged for iPod digital players and thousands of pirate Web sites were shut down, an industry group says.

*** Skype Gets Extra Friendly
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@621.trM4atkET46.0@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c575954>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

The latest beta of Skype, a voice over IP application, is just out and finally includes conference calling, a long-time feature on the Windows version.

*** CIO Jury: Apple 'Irrelevant' To Businesses
<http://comment.silicon.com/ciojury/0,3800003161,39127189,00.htm>
Andy McCue, Silicon.com

Leading IT bosses claim that despite Apple's recent revival -- largely around its consumer products -- the company will continue to have little impact on corporate IT strategies.

*** Prominent Internet Lawyer To Defend Think Secret
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/01/19/think-secret/>
MacMinute

Terry Gross of Gross & Belsky LLP will defend Mac news site Think Secret from a lawsuit brought against it by Apple. Gross has "been at the center of Internet law since the early days of the net," and served as the first counsel to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

[Opinion]

*** Apple Users Hit Back Over "Irrelevant" Claim
<http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39127209,00.htm>
Andy McCue, Silicon.com

Mac fans not happy at IT bosses shunning Apple for business use...

*** Don't Eat This Apple
<http://www.fool.com/news/mft/2005/mft05011923.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y&bounce=y>
Alyce Lomax, Motley Fool

I'd venture to guess that Apple's still got the musically minded held in thrall with its devices.

*** Group Think Part Of Corporate America's I.T. Strategy?
<http://homepage.mac.com/sbarton/iblog/apple/C1088576432/E324044078/index.html>
Sanford Barton, Apple In The Enterprise

*** Doin' The Shuffle -- My First Week With The New iPod
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/shuffle/index.php>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Everyone, including me, seems impressed with the iPod Shuffle.

*** Switched On: Mac Mini, The Best Media Center That Isn't
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000460028138/>
Ross Rubin, Engadget

*** Introducing The iLawsuit
<http://www.thecrimson.com/today/article505352.html>
Matthew A. Gline, Harvard Crimson

[Review]

*** With new Mac Mini, Apple Makes Switching Attractive, Affordable
<http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

Overall, the Mac mini is a good choice for Windows users on a budget who are tempted to switch. It's not a technological breakthrough, but it may just be one of Apple's smartest business moves.

*** Considering iLife '05
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/technology/circuits/20POGUE-EMAIL.html?oref=login>
David Pogue, New York Times

The changes in iLife '05 are far subtler than they were in iLife '04. That may be a signal to you that the $80 upgrade isn't quite so urgent -- or it may be a welcome sign that Apple has chosen to polish and refine what it had instead of junking the programs up with superfluous features.

*** New Ways To Manage Your Photos
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/technology/circuits/20stat.html>
David Pogue, New York Times

In a world of software that's so bloated it actually intimidates you, the polish and grace of programs like Picasa and iPhoto are a breath of fresh air.

*** A RAW Look At iPhoto 5
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/01/19/iphoto5.html>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

Bottom line, existing iPhoto users should be thrilled with this overhaul, and I suspect we'll see many converts too.

*** Apple iPod Shuffle
<http://www.time.com/time/gadget/20050119/>
Wilson Rothman, Time

In a world filled with flash-memory players, what makes it so special?

*** Radio Recording For The PC
<http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2005/01/19/cx_ah_0119tentech.html?partner=yahoo>
Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes

Griffin Technology makes a lit of terrfic products. With a little more work, the RadioShark could have been one of them.

*** The 30-In Apple Cinema Display
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,99033,00.html>
Ken Mingis, Computerworld

[Wintel]

*** Creative Shares Fall As War Costs Climb
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=10661>
Macworld UK

Creative Technology's war against Apple chopped 10 per cent from its quarterly profits, analysts say.

*** MS Office Encryption Flaw Uncovered
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/19/HNmsofficeflaw_1.html>
John E. Dunn, Techworld.com

The problem relates to the way Microsoft implements the encryption algorithm when re-saving documents after their initial creation.

*** Like It Or Not, Blogs Have Legs
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,66336,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Adam L. Penenberg, Wired News

We are in the midst of a new kind of internet boom, thanks in large part to this weblog phenomenon.

*** Does The World Need Wireless Robots?
<http://www.thefeature.com/article?articleid=101357>
Mark Frauenfelder, The Feature

*** Stamp Collecting In An E-Mail Age
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/technology/circuits/20stam.html?ex=1263877200&en=635ba76477f29410&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Sandeep Junnarkar, New York Times

The hobby's online dimension is striking because most collectors are from an older generation less familiar with computers and the Internet. Still, the lure of meeting other stamp collectors, locating that one elusive stamp for a collection, or showcasing entire collections has drawn many onto the Web.

*** High Tech Isn't Just For The Big Guys
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/business/20sbiz.html?ei=5088&en=7a344d8ab82f287f&ex=1263877200&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&adxnnlx=1106198239-fVBmuBPU0lS1T7uhtxszqw>
Shira Boss-Bicak, New York Times

As technology has become more affordable and easier to use, millions of small and medium-size businesses are putting investment dollars into it, or plan to shortly.

[Internet]

*** Chinese 'To Overtake US Net Use'
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4190937.stm>
BBC News

The Chiense net-using poplation looks set to exceed that of the US in less than three years, says a report.

[Tech & Science]

*** How Do They Measure Wind Chill?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2112443/fr/rss/>
Sam Schechner, Slate

It's all about how thick your skin is.

[Life]

*** Is "Doggie Style" Hyphenated?
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2005/01/20/copy_editor/index_np.html>
Daniel Asa Rose, Salon

My stint as a copy editor at a skin mag taught me more than I ever wanted to know about the sexual proclivities of the American public.

*** The First Nonsmoking Nation
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2112449/fr/rss/>
Eric Weiner, Slate

Bhutan banned tobacco. Could the rest of the world follow?

*** PM Lee Offers Lifelines To Old, Needy And Jobless
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/topstories/story/0,5562,296555,00.html?>
Lydia Lim, Straits Times

The old, the poor and the jobless will have their pressing worries addressed under a billion dollar package announced by Lee Hsien Loong in Parliament yesterday.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]