[MyAppleMenu] Jan 19, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 19 13:15:00 EST 2005

[Top Stories]

*** Apple: Four-Week Wait For iPod Shuffle
<http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/01/18/ipod.shuffle.reut/index.html>
Reuters

It could be deja vu all over again for Apple. Just one week after launching the tiny iPod Shuffle, customers face a wait of two to four weeks before their order is shipped, according to the company's Web site Tuesday.

[News]

*** 'Other' MP3 Players Getting Widespread Markdowns?
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000947028041/>
Barb Dybwad, Unofficial Apple Weblog

This evening I noticed that, almost universally, in every electronics store I went into, the 'other' MP3 players were marked down.

*** Darwin Flaws Survive In Apple's Mac OS X
<http://news.com.com/Darwin+flaws+survive+in+Apples+Mac+OS+X/2100-1002_3-5540955.html?part=rss&tag=5540955&subj=news.1002.20>
Robert Lemos, CNET News.com

A source-code audit of the open-source operating system from which Apple borrowed much of the code for Mac OS X revealed four vulnerabilities of varying severity in Apple's software, a security company said Monday.

*** Apple's Music Boom Not Moving Macs
<http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11968674%5E15306,00.html>
Simon Hayes, News.com.au

Apple's consumer hit, the iPod music player, has not budged sales of the company's core Mac computer line, according to analyst IDC.

*** iPod Shuffle Jewelry
<http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/ipod/ipod-shuffle-jewelry-029971.php>
Gizmodo

*** NFL Catches iPod Fever
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,66318,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Wired News

The National Football League announced an agreement with Audible to make recordings of this year's remaining playoff games available for portable audio players, including Apple's iPod.

*** Jobs, Apple Design Team Up For Wired Rave Award
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/01/18/wired-rave-awards/>
MacMinute

Steve Jobs was nominated in the Business Leader category, while the Apple industrial design team was nominated in the Industrial Designer category for the iMac G5 and iPod shuffle.

*** Apple To Open Third Japanese Retail Store Saturday
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/01/18/nagoya/>
MacMinute

*** .mac To Be Down 8 Hours For Maintenance
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/01/18.1.shtml>
Mac Observer

[Opinion]

*** 2005: Apple's 1984?
<http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020505,39184541,00.htm>
ZDNet UK

We have one message for the company: Bullies aren't cool.

[Review]

*** iPod Shuffle: Smallest, Most Affordable iPod Yet Is A Very Big Deal
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/reviews/ipodshufflereview/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0105>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

To appreciate the iPod shuffle, you must abandon some notions of what a music player must be.

*** Run Mac OS X On A PC
<http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/01/18/PearPC.html>
Wei-Meng Lee, O'Reilly Network

In this article, I will show you how to install and run Mac OS X Panther on your PC using PearPC, a free, architecture-independent PowerPC platform that runs on PCs.

*** How To Use Mutt, FastMail, And Mail.app Together On Your Mac
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/01/18/fastmail.html>
Philip Hollenback, O'Reilly Network

Would I be able to combine my command-line environment with the graphical tools available on Mac OS X? The answer is yes, and in this article I describe one part of that integration: email.

*** Thumbs Down To Thumbnails
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/01/iphoto4thumbs/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

I forego burning CDs within iPhoto if I want to print pictures from that CD.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Reverses Plan, Will Patch Media Player
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1752247,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Ryan Naraine, eWeek

One week after saying it had no plans to change the way Windows Media Player handles the download of DRM licenses, Microsoft now says it will release an update in the next 30 days to help thwart the threat of spyware infection.

*** Search Engines, Bloggers Team To Fight Spam
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1752331,00.asp>
Matt Hicks, eWeek

Google, MSN, Six Apart and Yahoo plan to support an HTML tag to keep comment-spam postings out of search engines.

*** Golf Courses Put Wi-Fi To Work
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1752064,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Carol Ellison, eWeek

What began as a GPS tool to help golfers improve their games has evolved into a fixed wirelss management system that is turning golf courses into community hot spots.

*** Entrepreneurship Not In Europe's Blood?
<http://news.com.com/Entrepreneurship+not+in+Europes+blood/2100-1022_3-5540511.html?part=rss&tag=5540511&subj=news.1022.20>
Ed Frauenheim, CNET News.com

The next Amazon.com, Yahoo or Google appears less likely to come from Europe than the United States, according to a new study on entrepreneurship from the European Commission.

*** Does "Reverse Outsourcing" Mean Much?
<http://news.com.com/Does+reverse+outsourcing+mean+much/2061-1022_3-5540692.html?part=rss&tag=5540692&subj=news.1022.20>
Ed Frauenheim, CNET News.com

*** Transmeta -- How A Great Idea, Brilliant Minds And Big Investors Equaled A Big Flop
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/10661009.htm>
Chris O'Brien, San Jose Mercury News

While the company suffered a number of self-inflicted wounds, it also apparently fell victim to a painful reality in Silicon Valley: Innovators don't always win in the marketplace.

*** One Nation, Overfed
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-matters19jan19,1,5794939.column?coll=la-headlines-food&ctrack=1&cset=true>
David Shaw, Los Angeles Times

It's no news that we're too fat. But why is it that Americans eat so much, especially as compared with Europeans?

*** The Lawyer Enters A Plea Of Lucky
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/19/dining/19GRIS.html>
Frank Bruni, New York Times

"And for 15 years I've had the luxury of staying at home, being there with my kids, coaching Little League baseball." Mr. Grisham had that luxury in part because he kept writing and writing, at least a book every year, and those books kept selling and selling.

*** Ask Not Why Inaugural Addresses Are So Rotten
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2112390/fr/rss/>
David Greenberg, Slate

We have the answer.

[Expressions]

*** Farmer Bob's Good Life
<http://www.well.com/user/jleft/wordz/fbob.html>
Ward Parkway

*** Meditation On A Moth
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2112348/fr/rss/>
Meghan O'Rourke, Slate

*** Opposition MPs Criticise Singapore Election System
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,296348,00.html?>
Asad Latif, Straits Times

Two opposition Members of Parliament attacked the government for continuing to rein in the political system and keep it closed despite promises to open up society.

*** SIngaporeans No Longer 'Cocky' About Future
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,296407,00.html?>
Natalie Soh, Straits Times

Dr Wang (Bukit Timah) identified two sources of concern: their jobs and their fears about Singapore's vulnerability in the global competition against other countries like India and China.

*** New Cab Firms Doing Better Than Expected
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,296324,00.html?>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

All three new taxi companies also expanidng their fleets after a good first year.

[Opinion]

*** Disabled Carpark Lot Meant Only For Disabled
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/forum/story/0,5562,296368,00.html?>
Chai Chon Fah, Zhenghua Citizens Consultative Committee, Straits Times

We will ensure such incidents do not recur in future. Once again, we apologise to Mr Om for our handling of the incident.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]