[MyAppleMenu] Feb 13, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 13 13:15:00 EST 2005

[Top Stories]

*** How Apple Saved The Music Biz
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,1411672,00.html>
John Naughton, The Observer

For now the significant thing to note is that it was a computer manufaturer and not a record company that cracked the problem of providing legal music downloads.

[News]

*** 10 Million iPods, Previewing The CD's End
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19831-2005Feb12.html>
Sean Daly, Washington Post

CD album sales are bright, but the downloadable digital future is blinding.

*** Radio Feels The Heat Of High-Tech Competition
<http://www.rocklintoday.com/news/templates/tech_news.asp?articleid=1672&zoneid=12>
Adrian Mccoy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Question: What four-letter word won't get a radio station in trouble with the FCC, but is guaranteed to make radio executives cringe? Answer: iPod.

*** Podcasting To The Global Village
<http://www.record-journal.com/articles/2005/02/13/news/news01.txt>
Jeffery Kurz, Record-Journal

*** Springfield Taps Into Laptops
<http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/02/12/d1.cr.laptops.0212.html>
Anne Williams, The Register-Guard

As of this week, Springfield Middle School is "plugged in" like no other school in Oregon.

*** Forget Roses: Valentine Eyes Are On The 'i'
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1108163414737&call_pageid=970599119419>
Linda Barnard, Toronto Star

Music lovers' hearts have fallen for Apple's white stick iPod Shuffles are trickling into T.O.

[Review]

*** iPod Out Loud
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6959933/site/newsweek/>
Newsweek

A swarm of companies is putting out speakers designed just for your MP3s.

*** Mac Mini Could Carry Mighty Punch
<http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-livcobbs12021205feb12,1,3569977.column?coll=orl-business-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true>
Chris Cobbs, Orlando Sentinel

There has never been a more attractive, or attractively priced, Mac.

[Sidetrack]

*** iPod Shuffle Is Not Simple
Heng-Cheong Leong

People who believes that the iPod shuffle is just a simple little MP3 player -- people like Sim Wong Hoo <http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6934463/site/newsweek/> -- is not getting the whole picutre. In Apple's universe, the iPod shuffle does not stand alone. It is part of the iPod-iTunes-iTunes Music Store product, which is nothing but simple.

As many have observed, Apple can get away with having a screen because of the excellent iTunes. Creative has to evolve a screen into their device because Creative has nothing even remotely close to iTunes.

*** Apple Is More Than Macintosh
Heng-Cheong Leong

Felixsalmon <http://www.felixsalmon.com/000346.php>: If there's one overriding reason why Steve Jobs has been a huge success at Apple, it's that he has managed to demolish the old truism that Apple = Mac.

Of course, one may also remember that it was Steve Jobs that proved that Apple is not only Apple ][.

But, that would be only part of Apple's history. One may also remember that there are other non-Apple ][ and non-Macintosh projects from Apple. Newton, Pippin, QuickTime, FileMaker... It's just that only Steve Jobs seem to be successful in getting new product lines going at Apple.

*** Best iPod Shuffle Stand?
Heng-Cheong Leong

That Channel 9 guy <http://todd.dailey.info/index.php?p=8> from Microsoft. :-)

*** Love Is In The Air
Heng-Cheong Leong

... well, at least in MyAppleMenu Reader <http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/>.

[Wintel]

*** Podcasting To The Global Village
<http://www.record-journal.com/articles/2005/02/13/news/news01.txt>
Jeffery Kurz, Record-Journal

*** Chief Humanising Officer
<http://www.economist.com/people/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3644293>
The Economist

Does Robert Scoble, a celebrity blogger on Microsoft's payroll, herald the death of traditional public relations?

*** How To Stop Junk E-Mail: Charge For The Stamp
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/13/business/yourmoney/13digi.html?ex=1265950800&en=67f653d3ed7a57f4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Randall Stross, New York Times

The most promising news is that companies like Yahoo, EarthLink, America Online, Comcast and Verizon have overcome the fear that they would prompt antitrust sanctions if they joined forces to reclaim the control they have lost to spammers.

[Love]

*** Love Lit 101
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/13/opinion/13dowd.html?ex=1266037200&en=88e769b32049afd6&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Maureen Dowd, New York Times

For Valentine's Day, I decided to get some lucky guy the books from A to Z that would help him better understand me.

*** I Do. (Now What?)
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/02/13/i_do_now_what/>
Gar and Meg Ragland, as told to Louisa Kasdon, Boston Globe

It's supposed to be bliss. A honeymoon. No kids. No pressure. Lots of sex. So why is the first year of marriage so hard? One yound couple let us inside theirs for an intimate and revealing look.

*** The New Arranged Marriage
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/13/magazine/13MATCHMAKING.html?>
Melanie Thernstrom, New York Times

There are a lot of people out there who are willing to pay a lot of money to find their partners. But if you sign on with a modern-day matchmaker, you'll have to toss away your idealized notions of soul mates and embrace the romance of no romance.

*** Sighed And Sealed
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8964-2005Feb8.html>
Kristin Henderson, Washington Post

Unlocking the secrets of the love letter.

*** You Can Tell Everybody This Is Your Song
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2005/02/12/you_can_tell_everybody_this_is_your_song/>
Bella English, Boston Globe

Tired of buying the woman in your life the same old chocolate, perfume, and lingerie? Tom Mahan was. So when Christmas came around in 2003, he decided to do something different for his wife of 20 years.

[Life]

*** My Career In Bumper Stickers
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/13/opinion/13sparrow.html?ex=1266037200&en=a14eee303a3e4295&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Sparrow and Art Chantry, New York Times

One day it struck me that I could write my own messages, and pretend they were real.

*** Once More, With Feeling
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/lifestyle/story/0,5562,300471,00.html?>
Sumiko Tan, Straits Times

It's a scary thought that when I'm gone, my family's traditions will disappear with me.

*** Making The Extra Pass
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-nba-07feb13,1,436022.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
David Wharton, Los Angeles Times

American basketball has lost its way. A game born of teamwork became a celebration of individual prowess. Now a growing number of NBA franchises are trying to turn back the clock.

*** Singapore Says Extradition Treaty Will Not Solve Indoensia's Corruption
<http://www.chinapost.com.tw/asiapacific/detail.asp?GRP=C&id=58321>
Associated Press

Singapore said Sunday that an extradition treaty with Indoensia would not solve widespread corruption in its giant neighbor.

*** Australia, Singapore To Discuss Open-Skies Agreement
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200502/s1301726.htm>
AFP

*** No More New Pubs, Massage Joints In Joo Chiat
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,5562,300534,00.html?>
Chua Kong Ho, Straits Times

Joo Chiat Member of Parliament, Chan Soo Sen, said yesterday that no new licences will be issued for pubs, KTV lounges or massage parlous there.

*** Singapore Airlines Accused Of Bribery
<http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=&fArticleId=2407432>
IOL Business Report

Singapore Airlines Friday strongly rejected allegations by Austrlia's opposition Labour Party it had offered free flights to Australian lawmakers as part of lobbying efforts to gain access to lucrative Australia-US routes.

*** Singapore Business Confidence Takes A Knock
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,145048,00.html?>
Daniel Buenas, Business Times

Survey finds signs of an economic slowdown coming as early as the third quarter.

[Entertainment]

*** Little Jewel Of Retro Design
<http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2005/2/13/features/9882962&sec=features>
Beverley Hon, The Star

When they said good things come in small packages, they must have had Hotel 1929 in mind.