[MyAppleMenu] Feb 12, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 12 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** Of MRIs And iPods
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/02/wo/wo_hoffman021105.asp?trk=top>
Karen Epper Hoffman, MIT Technology Review

Dr. Osman Ratib had a problem. As a radiologist, he dealt with mountains of digital images which needed to be tracked, stored, and shared on a regular basis -- but he didn't have a good way to easily transport everything he needed.

*** New Pepsi-iTunes Promo, Same Old 'Hack'
<http://news.com.com/New+Pepsi-iTunes+promo%2C+same+old+hack/2100-1024_3-5571366.html?part=rss&tag=5571366&subj=news.1024.20>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

With the second Pepsi-iTunes contest under way, iTunes fans have again discovered how to tilt the odds in their favor.

*** 'Hacking' The iTunes-Pepsi Promo
<http://news.com.com/Photos+Hacking+the+iTunes-Pepsi+promo/2009-1041_3-5571398.html?part=rss&tag=5571398&subj=news.1041.20>
CNET News.com

*** Two California Apple Resellers Shut Down, Blame Apple
<http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0502resellers.html>
Ryan Katz, Think Secret

Two independent Apple dealers in California have shut their doors, blaming Apple's dealings with them for their inability to maintain operations.

[Opinion]

*** Only A Theory...
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6465>
Chris Adamson, O'Reilly Network

The problem is, I really don't like the idea of computers in schools at all.

*** 64-Bit Traffic Jam
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/02/11/07OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

As vendors play down their own 64-bit technologies and wait for Microsoft, Linux and OS X roll along.

[Review]

*** Apache And AppleScript
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/02/11/applescript.html>
David Miller, O'Reilly Network

*** iPod Shuffle: Apple Understated
<http://www.betanews.com/article/iPod_Shuffle_Apple_Understated/1108142368>
Joe Wilcox, BetaNews

The [competitors] fail to realize that these extras add complexity. The vendors also don't understated how the whole package -- iTunes, synchronization and Shuffle play -- makes Apple's diminutive music player appealing.

*** Apple iPod Shuffle
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/11/review_apple_ipod_shuffle/>
Charles Arthur, The Register

The shocking thing about the Shuffle is the size, and lack of weight.

*** New PowerBook Benchmarks
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/02/11/pbg4benchmarks/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0205>
James Galbraith, MacCentral

We've finished benchmarking most of the new PowerBooks, and we can report that PowerBook performances has improved with this upgrade.

*** iPod Eye For The Linux Guy
<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1763851,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532>
Jim Lynch, ExtremeTech

Nothing I've seen in Linux is as slick to this and lord knows that nothing Microsoft has come up with is even remotely close.

[Sidetrack]

*** We Have The Money To Reinvent The Wheel
Heng-Cheong Leong

Sometimes, one wonders if teams within Microsoft make use of undocumented Windows APIs to gain an advantage over non-Microsoft competitors.

And sometimes, you realise that, Microsoft programmers are... well, programmers too, and processes the not-invented-here illness too. Take, for instance, the Internet Explorer team. Rather than fixing a weakness in the Windows SDK (limit of 10,000 USER handles per process, and running out of desktop heap), they reinvented the wheel <http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2005/02/11/371042.aspx>, and let IE have a totally different way of displaying controls.

[Wintel]

*** Is Microsoft Dying?
<http://abcnews.go.com/Business/SiliconInsider/story?id=88655&page=1>
Michael S. Malone, ABC News

Great, healthy companies not only dominate the market, but share of mind. Look at Apple these days. But when was the last time you thought about Microsoft, except in frustration or anger?

[Top Stories]

*** A Long Winding Road Out Of Beta
<http://news.com.com/A+long+winding+road+out+of+beta/2100-1032_3-5571590.html?part=rss&tag=5568415&subj=news.1032.20>
Paul Festa, CNET News.com

Once considered the final stage of software development, beta versions are taking on a life of their own, as companies tinker endlessly with their products in public.

[News]

*** Saving Energy At PC: It's As Simple As Sleep
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/10/technology/circuits/10powe.html?ex=1265950800&en=d8108941e5ff4d25&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Ian Austen, New York Times

*** Hand Scan Could Limit Kids' Net Access
<http://news.com.com/Hand+scan+could+limit+kids+Net+access/2100-1029_3-5571671.html?part=rss&tag=5571671&subj=news.1029.20>
Robert Lemos, CNET News.com

Future PCs may bar children from Internet sites by using an ultrasound device to gauge their age from a hand bone.

*** Hands Off Our Wi-Fi Network!
<http://news.com.com/Hands+off+our+Wi-Fi+network/2010-1071_3-5571655.html?part=rss&tag=5571655&subj=news.1071.20>
Dianah Neff, CNET News.com

Why are Wireless Philadelphia and other city wireless programs such a big threat? More precisely, why do the big boys keep trying to kill our Wi-Fi networks?

*** Google Blogger: 'I Was Terminated'
<http://news.com.com/Google+blogger+I+was+terminated/2100-1038_3-5572936.html?part=rss&tag=5572876&subj=news.1038.20>
Evan Hansen, CNET News.com

Mark Jen was fired for blogging, the ex-Googler confirmed in a Web posting on Thursday.

*** MPs Issued With Blackberry Threat
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4254271.stm>
BBC News

MPs will be thrown out of the Commons if they use Blackberries in the chamber Speaker Michael Martin has ruled.

[Tech & Science]

*** Tech Does It Better
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,66565,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Regina Lynn, Wired News

For women working in the sex industry, whether prostitution or prnography, technology just might be replacing men -- the middlemen, that is.

[Life]

*** A Little Anthology Of Love Poems
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2113367/fr/rss/>
Robert Pinsky, Slate

What to read your sweetheart on Valentine's Day.

*** A Fairy Tale For Grownups
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15400-2005Feb10.html?nav=rss_print/style>
Roxanne Roberts, Washington Post

And so, a happy ending for two crazy fifty-somethings -- with castles, servants and a mother-in-law who really does have the last word. No fairy tale, but a messy, real-life love story.

*** What Is A Princess Consort?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2113398/fr/rss/>
Daniel Engber, Slate

No one knows. Camilla will be the first.