[MyAppleMenu] Dec 21, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 21 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Apple, Intel Cooking Up PC/TV Connection Standard
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13420>
Macworld UK

Apple and Intel are spearheading work to develop a new standard to get video from computers to HD televisions and PC displays.

*** NeXT Fans Give Up The Ghost
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,69888,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Pete Mortensen, Wired News

Among the many milestones in the tech world this last year, one occurred almost without notice. The Bay Area NeXT Group, an important user group formed 15 years ago around Steve Jobs' second great computer design, slipped into history in 2005, even as the technology that sparked it reached millions of users under a new name: OS X.

*** Stores Have Designs On Your Cash
<http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051221/BUSINESS01/512210402/1044/BUSINESS>
Naomi Snyder, Tennessean

Retailers are rearranging their showroom to make you more likely to buy than move on.

*** Mac Veteran To lead Macworld Events
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13416>
Macworld UK

Macworld Expo organiser IDG World Expo has appointed Mac industry veteran Paul Kent as new vice president.

*** Strategist Likes Apple, Corning
<http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Articles/StockPicks/P139322.asp>
MSN Money

Apple is the next Starbucks, said Pip Coburn. Like the specialty coffee purveyor, Apple is discovering that the sky's the limit to the number of retail outlets it can successfully open.

*** iTunes Makes Apple Traffic Sing
<http://news.com.com/iTunes+makes+Apple+traffic+sing/2100-1030_3-6002956.html?part=rss&tag=6002956&subj=news>
Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com

Music fans flooding iTunes last month helped outpace Google and Amazon as the fastest-growing web site among the top 10 best-known online brands, according to a report released Tuesday.

*** Final Cut Pro v5.0.4 Update
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/12/20/final-cut-pro-v5-0-4-update/>
Damien Barrett, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** Why Developing Scientific Apps For The Mac Is A Dead End Street
<http://www.maniacalextent.com/blog/?p=7>
Maniacal Blogger

There simply isn't the market for the big boys, and most scientists have better things to do with their time than writing help pages and answering questions.

*** Where Are The Killer Scientific Apps For OS X?
<http://www.macresearch.org/where_are_the_killer_scientific_apps_for_os_x>
MacResearch

*** That Intel Inside Thing
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8809?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=That+Intel+inside+thing>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

If Apple can engrave "Assembled in Cina" in 4 points font on the back of an iPod, why couldn't they, if they wanted to , engrave "Intel Inside" on the tough casing of a PowerBook? It would be the ultimate weapon, the one logo you cannot remove, peel away, scratch and yet, it would get plenty of press coverage.

[Review]

*** Is It Wrong, Doctor?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8808?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Is+it+wrong+doctor>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

Path Finder is slowly convincing and spoiling me.

*** iTunes And The 7-Burn Limit
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2005/12/7burn/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

You may be wondering what needs to be modified in a playlist in order for you to burn seven additional copies...

[Sidetrack]

*** Why Strike?
Heng-Cheong Leong

I definitely may not fully understand the motivation of the New York transit union to go on strike, but it definitely sucks to be alienating your long-time customers.

Actually, why go on strike? Since you are going to break the law anyway, go back to work, operate those trains and buses, but don't collect any fares. You'll still hurt your employer, but your customers are going to be really happy.

*** Will The Reality Distortion Field Finally Run Out Of Juice?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Kevin Maney <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kevinmaney/2005-12-20-jobs_x.htm>: Sometime in 2006, Steve Jobs will probably get hosed. That's not so much a prediction as it is playing the odds. Nobody in America gets such a long ride onthe oh-we-sooooo-adore-you bandwagon. Well, except maybe Jennifer Aniston.

*** The Sparring And Spin Of The Google Dance
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,16559,1671763,00.html>
Bobbie Johson, The Guardian

How unscrupulous firms are manipulating world's leading search engine.

[Tech & Science]

*** Defending Science By Defining It
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/20/AR2005122001715.html>
David Brown and Rick Weiss, Washington Post

When evolution's defenders find themselves tongue-tied and seemingly bested by neo-creationists -- when they believe they have the facts on their side but do not know where to find them -- this 139-page document may be the thing they turn to.

*** Survival Of The Unfittest
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/12/21/teachers/index_np.html>
Gordy Slack, Salon

A Pennsylvania judge has ruled that intelligent design is not fit for science classes. But I.D. remains rooted in U.S. schools, where science teachers are pressured to address God int he classroom.

[Life]

*** A Christmas Chronicle
<http://www.slate.com/id/2132719/>
Maile Meloy, Slate

How I learned the secret of Santa Claus' annual visit.

[Expressions]

*** The Practice Of Physiognomy
<http://www.zineweb.com/2003/winter/poetry-physiognomy.html>
Alison Eastley, 24:7 Magazine

*** Dead Load
<http://www.loft.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_ID=328>
Andrea Worth, Speakeasy

I stood on an iron girder up top of the Carquinez Bridge, a line circled around my legs, and looked down to the water of the strait, a couple hundred feet below. From such a height, the waves looked like a blue, wind-whipped field of wheat. When Hernandez told me to go on and jump, I tried to give myself to the sky, to the goddamned beautiful mirage of wheated water. But my body wouldn't budge.

*** Psalm, 1950 DA*
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120098/>
Josh Kellar, Slate

*** Government Accepts Auditor's Report On NKF, To Press For Charges
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/184735/1/.html>
S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>