[MyAppleMenu] Dec 20, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 20 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** HP To Drop iTunes In PCs In 2006?
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13407>
Macworld UK

HP is preparing to reengage in the digital music market, following the termination of its exclusive deal with Apple to distribute HP-branded iPods.

*** Apple Bigwig Makes $33 Million
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28449>
Nick Farrell, The Inquirier

It looks like it has been a good year for Apple's chief software technology officer, Avadis Tevanian. He has just pocketed more than $33 million by twice exercising options to buy and then flog 300,000 shares of Apple stock.

*** Students Plug Into iLectures
<http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051220/BIZ04/512200364/1026/LIFESTYLE>
Dough Guthrie, Detroit News

There's no such thing as a missed lecture for University of Michigan dentistry students, who are transforming their personal iPods into the latest college learning tool.

*** Greene County To Get New Macs
<http://www.kinston.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=32967&Section=Local>
Michael Abernethy, Kinston Free Press

*** The Info-Mac Network Retires
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=08375>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

To all godo things there must come an end, and it is with some sadness that I officially retire the Info-Mac Network.

*** iPod Overseas Report: Singapore
<http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/6190/>
Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge

*** Eh? iPod Earbuds Can Cause Hearing Loss
<http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=175006733>
Gregg Keizer, InformationWeek

Earbud headphones, the type that rest inside the ear, can lead to permanent damage after just an hour of high-volume music in the 110- to 120-decibel range, equivalent to the noise level of a concert.

[Opinion]

*** End Of An Era: Mac Internet Explorer
<http://www.jimmygrewal.com/?p=187>
Jimmy Grewal

Four years of my life were dedicated to this product and others based on it. Those four years in the Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft were incredible, and I learned many important lessons and made some great lifelong friends.

*** Don't Ask Me No Questions
<http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000730.html>
DrunkenBlog

More and more I'm getting the feeling that whoever is writing technical docs for Apple either doesn't think anyone is watching, is bored and amusing themselves in the outlet they have, or just knows I'm reading them.

*** Taken To A New Place, By A TV In The Palm
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/18/weekinreview/18carr.html>
David Carr, New York Times

Much was made of how silly it was for Apple to believe people would watch television on a 2.5-inch screen. But consumers have downloaded three million video programs from iTunes since the new video iPod became available in October. What gives?

*** The Reasons Why Apple Is Better
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28430>
Charlie Demerjian, The Inquirier

The thing that makes Apple better is not the design, OS, or a mouse button less, it is not playing the same rules that govern PCs. It is more a willingness to do the right thing, not the cheap thing. Because Apple doesn't play, it wins, and that really is the better way.

*** The End Of Explorer
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/12/explorer/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Curt Poff, Macworld

So the model for browser development shapes like this; Either pick a platform and stick with it or embrace open-source.

[Review]

*** Putting The Power Of iMovie To Work
<http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1134309610997&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull>
David Shamah, Jerusalem Post

*** Return Of Control Strip
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/12/menustrip/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** 10 Apps Every New Mac User Should Download
<http://www.paulstamatiou.com/2005/12/19/10-apps-every-new-mac-user-should-download/>
Paul Stamatiou

*** Getting Things Done With The Finder
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8792?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Getting+things+done+with+the+Finder>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

*** Smarter iPhoto Archives
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/12/smartiphoto/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christpher Breen, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Merry Christmas
Heng-Cheong Leong

Linda Levine <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/19/nyregion/19diary.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1135054836-WPjBIaHLKXIcYtBC2xWGgA>:At Loehmann's, a young child was acting up, to the dismay of her mother, who could not quiet her down. Finally, the mother took out her cellphone and "made a call." "Yes, Santa, I'll tell her what you said." That did the trick.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Eats iPods?
<http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05121915.htm>
Rick Aristotle Munarriz, Motley Fool

Just as Apple managed to use the halo effect of iPod's success to win back market share in its once-fading personal computer business, the rumored scuttlebutt indicates that Microsoft is hoping for a halo effect with its Xbox 360 to enter other consumer electronics markets.

*** Google Offers A Bird's-Eye View, And Some Governments Tremble
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/20/technology/20image.html?hp&ex=1135141200&en=511ace6173042ea4&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Katie Hafner and Saritha Rai, New York Times

*** Just Another Displaced New Yorker
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/20/opinion/20seal.html?ex=1292734800&en=6cec730437c514d8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Jeremy Seal, New York Times

Though Santa's home may no longer be in Manhattan, his spirit remains here, in the city so influential in his creation.

*** Lolita At 50
<http://www.slate.com/id/2132708/>
Stephen Metcalf, Slate

Is Nabokov's masterpiece still shocking?

*** The War On "Munich"
<http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2005/12/20/munich/index_np.html>
Michelle Goldberg, Salon

Neoconservatives launch a preemptive strike on Spielberg's latest, which dares to break the rules of post-9/11 political correctness.

[Expressions]

*** The Albanian Writers' Union As Mirrored By A Woman
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/051226fi_fiction>
Ismail Kadare, New Yorker

*** Pregnancy Diary
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/051226fi_fiction1>
Yoko Ogawa, New Yorker

*** The Word
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/051226fi_fiction2>
Vladimir Nabokov, New Yorker

*** Singapore Sets Pace For Developing Nations
<http://www.monitor.co.ug/bizfin/bf12206.php>
Zurah Nakabugo, Uganda Monitor

A country that was once Uganda's 'age mate' economically is today one of the most highly developed in Southeast Asia.

[Opinion]

*** Ops, TT Durai Did It Again!
<http://www.pink-ist.com/?p=35>
My Little Magical World

I was screaming What The Fuck? inside me as I was reading it.

*** Look For Win-Win Solutions To Taxi Woes
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,359848,00.html?>
Paul Chan Poh Hoi, Straits Times

The 'flaws' aris from the way taxi operations are run here.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]