[MyAppleMenu] Dec 12, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 12 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** The Advent Of iPod U
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051211-5738.html>
Charles Jade, Ars Technica

It appears a brave, new world is in the offing for academia, one of courses-on-demand and poorly understood ramifications.

[Opinion]

*** What's With Apple Powerbook G4's CD Drive?
<http://iamtagged.blogspot.com/2005/12/whats-with-apple-powerbook-g4s-cd.html>
Tech Tips Caught Between The Tags

We spend a handsome $3000 and not even a week has passed we faced problems with the product. When we try taking the problem to the customer support, the kind of support we received was apalling.

*** A Word About Encoding Music And iTunes...
<http://creativebits.org/mac_os_x/a_word_about_encoding_music_and_itunes>
CreativeBits

*** Buying An iPod Is Just The Beginning...
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/story/0,6903,1664323,00.html>
Andrew Don, The Observer

Many parents intending to buy their children an Apple iPod this Christmas will do so in the mistaken belief that it will be a one-off investment.

[Review]

*** Resolve To Back Up Your Drive
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/2002675251_ptmacc10.html>
Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

*** HarperCollins Plans To Control Its Digital Books
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113435527609919890-w6DEaw_pnhG1E1xxXlDcT2S9ptM_20061212.html?mod=rss_free>
Jeffrey A. trachtenberg and Kevin J. Delaney, Wall Street Journal

In the latest salvo in the fight over the future of books on the internet, one of the country's biggest publishers said it intends to produce digital copies of its books and then make them available to search service offered by such companies as Google, Yahoo, Microsoft and Amazon.com, while maintaining physical possession of the digital files.

*** The Death Of Traditional Book Publishing
<http://www.michaelhyatt.com/workingsmart/2005/12/the_death_of_tr.html>
Michael Hyatt

We are only one device away from a digital publishing tsunami.

*** Handhelds Go To School
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,69806,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Associated Press

As school districts scout ways to engage students already accustomed to instant messaging and interactive video games, they're buying up the kind of tech tools once reserved for jet-setting corporate executives.

[Tech & Science]

*** That Placebo Punch
<http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-placebo12dec12,0,3405707.story?coll=la-home-health>
Emily Singer, Los Angeles Times

Scientists are learning to harness the power of sham treatments -- without the trickery.

*** Science Project
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/12/11/science_project/>
John Hanc, Boston Globe

After 175 years, the Museum of Science is embarking on a mighty mission: to get schoolschildren excited about engineering and technology, help the US compete in the global economy, and, oh yes, make field trips more fun.

*** Madness About A Method
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/magazine/11wwln_lead.html>
Jim Holt, New York Times

How did science become so contentious and policized?

[Life]

*** How Do You Say 'D'oh!' In Arabic?
<http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-et-simpsons12dec12,0,954043.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels>
Ashraf Khalil and Jailan Zayan, Los Angeles Times

'The Simpsons' travels to the Middle East and undergoes a few changes along the way.

*** Sesame Street Goes Global: Let's All Count The Revenue
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/12/business/media/12sesame.html>
Doreen Carvajal, International Herald Tribune

The makeovers -- in places like Bollywood, Paris, Tokyo and South Africa -- are transforming what it means to be a Muppet.

*** 'Tis The Season To Obsess About Food
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2005/12/12/fat/index_np.html>
Ayelet Waldman, Salon

Thanksgiving yams, Chanukah latkes, Christmas cookies... for me, they all add up to a holiday-size serving of self-hatred.

*** Temasek Expects Only Fair Play
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/12/12/nation/12843996&sec=nation>
The Star

Singapore government investment arm Temasek Holdings expects no special privileges and just hopes for equal treatment like any other Singapore investor when it invests in the region. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said: "Temasek takes a purely commercial view of its investments and that is how it operates. It is no different from any other Singapore company."

*** Govt Accepts The Temasek Sensitivities
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/89652.asp>
Sharon Vasoo, Today

Not worth souring ties over perceptions, says PM.

[Opinion]

*** Sieve Out The Good In Human Rights Reports
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,358334,00.html?>
Juliana Ng Soo Liah, Straits Times

We must not underestimate how difficult it is for an abused person to speak out against injustice, especially when her much-needed job hangs in the balance.

*** The Airport Passenger's Headache: Making Short Trips Worth The Cabbie's While
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/89630.asp>
Shirlee Seng, Heng Cho Choon, Today

We can always suggest ways to work around the problem. But if the attitude and mentality of the taxi drivers is wrong, nothing will work out.

*** The Front Door's Open, The Backyard's Locked
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/89603.asp>
Terence Chong, Today

To be global, must we rethink our conservative outlook at home?

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]