[MyAppleMenu] Aug 29, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 29 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Adobe Under Construction
<http://news.com.com/Adobe+under+construction/2008-1082_3-5843856.html>
Charles Cooper, CNET News.com

*** Missed Church? No Worries. Download It To Your iPod.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/29/technology/29godcast.html>
Tania Ralli, New York Times

[Opinion]

*** Tiger iSync Madness
<http://www.theappleblog.com/2005/08/28/tiger-isync-madness/>
Chris Holland, Apple Blog

What we used to be able to achieve with a single click or entirely automate in the background before Tiger is no longer possible.

*** How To serve Your iTunes Library To Your Sony PSP Using WiFi Internet
<http://www.funponsel.com/blog/archives/2005/08/29/how-to-serve-your-itunes-library-to-your-sony-psp-using-wifi-internet/>
My Other Side Of The Stories

*** Are Dialogs Too Easy?
<http://bura-bura.com/blog/archives/2005/08/25/are-dialogs-too-easy/>
Jeremy's Little Corner Of The Web

I think this dialog from iTunes is probably one of the worst I've seen.

*** Intel-Cisco Deal May Be Big For Wi-Fi
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/08/26/HNintelciscowifi_1.html>
Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service

Companies want to ensure wireless LANs deliver good VoIP quality.

*** Early Look At Research Project To Re-Engineer The Internet
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/29/technology/29internet.html?ex=1282968000&en=550e75301af34083&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
John Markoff, New York Times

The National Science Foundation is planning an effort to fundamentally re-engineer the internet and overcome its shortcomings, creating a network more suited to the computerized world of the next decade.

[World]

*** Now Showing: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly Americans
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/27/AR2005082700034.html>
Martha Bayles, Washington Post

American popular culture is no longer a beacon of freedom to huddled masses in closed societies. Instead, it's a glut on the market and, absent any countervailing cultural diplomacy, our de facto ambassador to the world.

[Life]

*** A Refrigerator Door And A Handle On Life
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/28/AR2005082800891.html?nav=rss_print/style>
Barry Berkey, Washington Post

I had never thought of the notes on my refrigerator door as personal and sensitive until a recent visit from my Califronia cousin, Janice.

*** Beijing's Quest For 2008: To Become Simply Livable
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/international/asia/28beijing.html>
Jim Yardley, New York Times

Beijing is so efficient at pouring concrete that the International Olympic Committee has asked it to slow down rather finish construction too soon. Far more difficult will be fulfilling Beijing's promise of playing host to a "green" Olympics as well as meeting a new goal in the city's revised master plan -- to become "a city suitable for living."

*** Single, White With Dildo
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2005/08/29/teledildonics/index.html>
Anna Jane Grossman, Salon

Thanks to developments in the field of "teledildonics," quick and easy cybersex is becoming an option for anyone with a mouse. Could internet-enabled sex toys soon become must-haves for online daters?

*** All-Elvis Radio? It's Now Or Never
<http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/radio/cl-et-elvis29aug29,0,1942955.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels>
Martin Miller, Los Angeles Times

There are those who say that pop-radio stations play the same set of songs over and over again and all sound alike -- a statement that is both true and not true of Sirius Satellite Radio's Elvis Radio.

*** Language Born Of Colonialism Thrives Again In Amazon
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/international/americas/28amazon.html?8hpib>
Larry Rohter, New York Times

When the Portuguese arrived in Brazil five centuries ago, they encountered a fundamental problem: the indigenous peoples they conquered spoke more than 700 languages. Rising to the challenge, the Jesuit preiests accompanying them concocted a mixture of Indian, Portuguese and African words they called "lingua geral," or the "general language," and imposed it on their colonial subjects. Elsewhere in Brazil, lingua geral as a living, spoken tongue died off long ago. But in a remote and neglected corner of the Amazon where Brazil, Colombia and Venezuela meet, the language has not only managed to survive, it has made a remarkable comeback in recent years.

[Expressions]

*** Coupling
<http://www.fencemag.com/v7n2/text/maliszewski.html>
Paul Maliszewski, Fence

*** Carolina Wren
<http://www.fencemag.com/v7n2/text/wald.html>
Diana Wald, Fence

*** Stunning Bukit Batok Catholic Church Has Private Pool For Priest
<http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,93714,00.html>
Skye Tan, New Paper

*** Poor Need Some Form Of Welfare, Say MPs
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/69266.asp>
Val Chua, Today

Low-income families are becoming a worry for the government as it tries to balance helping this group without going down the slippery slope of welfarism.

*** Essence Of Fine Dining
<http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2005/8/29/lifeliving/11662430&sec=lifeliving>
Majorie Chiew, The Star

*** Singapore Press: Johor Port Expansion May Hurt Singapore
<http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/050829/15/3uk34.html>
Dow Jones

Malaysia's Port of Tanjung Pelepas in Johor is on the expansion trail which could divert some container traffic from Singapore, reports the Business Times.

[Opinion]

*** We're Naughty By Nature Too!
<http://benaudz.blogspot.com/2005/08/were-naughty-by-nature-too.html>
Metamorphosis

Last week, I received a call telling me I had won a free makeover with 2 complimentary shots from Naughty By Nature...

*** Marching In The Rain = Very Tough?
<http://atypicalsingaporean.blogspot.com/2005/08/marching-in-rain-very-tough.html>
Atypical Singaporean

In the spirit of building a "rugged society" that can walk/march in the rain, do sychronized dance in the mud, I implore the government not to open the Buangkok station for an indefinite time. Let them walk.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]