[MyAppleMenu] Sep 29, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 29 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** How Do You Play It?
<http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=20716&pid=1190>
by Defne Gunay, Cavalier Daily
The bulky walkman has been long replaced by its new counterparts -- the Discman, the MP3 player and the iPod.

*** Adobe Presses On In Digital Pics Editing For Mac
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,10873851%5E15309%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
by David Frith, The Australian
The whisper was that feeling weer less than warm between Apple's Steve Jobs and Adobe's Bruce Chizen, and that a miffed CHizen might put the kybosh on further development of Elements. That hasn't happened, and there seems to be a new, chummy spirit between them.

*** Springfield School Board OKs Plan To Purchase Apple Laptop Computers
<http://www.registerguard.com/news/2004/09/28/d3.cr.springlaptop.0928.html>
by The Register-Guard
The aim of the four-year pilot project is to increase student achievement by delivering instruction in new, engaging ways.

*** First GarageBand CD?
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=460494>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
Steve Sobek, a Pennsylvania-based folk rocker, claism to have made the "first studio-quality CD of original songs recorded entirely using Apple's GarageBand software."

*** Apple Responds To .Mac Email Problems
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/28/macemail/>
by MacMinute
"A small number of customers were having difficultiies receiving mail due to database issues... The issue is now resolved and mail should be delivered as expected."

*** iTunes Get Exclusive Eminem Single Despite Lawsuit
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/28/eminem/>
by MacMinute

*** Fly Business On Air France, Get An iPod Mini
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/09/28/airfrance/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-0904>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
Air France is offering customers of its "l'Espace Affaires" business class service an opportnity to get a free iPod mini.

[Opinion]

*** iDon'tGetIt
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/9546544886697421/>
by Laurie Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog
So wy can't I stop laughing at Griffin's new $20 mini light show?

*** No Such Thing As A Free iPod?
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2004/09/freeipod/index.php>
by Chistopher Breen, Playlist
Though it might introduce an unwelcome bit of reality, the Pyramid Scheme Calculator clearly shows that those who join the pyramid party late are the one tasked with cleaning up the mess.

[Review]

*** How Apple's iPod Stores And Delivers Digital Music
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/10/visualize1004.asp?trk=top>
by MIT Technology Review

*** Introduction To Quartz 2D For QuickDraw Programmers
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/09/28/quartz.html>
by Scott Thompson, O'Reilly Network

[Sidetrack]

*** Busy Days Ahead
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/29/#20040929bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Between the new  NetNewsWire/BlogLines<http://ranchero.com/?comments=1&postid=919> and the new Frontier<http://kernel.scripting.com/>, together with my existing tasks like taking care of my daughter and bringing out the trash :-), I foresee interesting and busy times ahead for my weekend "hacking".

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** School Cellphone Bans Topple (You Can't Suspend Everyone)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/29/national/29cellphone.html?ex=1254110400&#38;en=6a1ed6893fad3899&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Matt Richtel, New York Times
Now that the phones have become tools used by parents to keep in touch with, and keep track of, their children, schools are facing a more basic reality: it is no longer possible to enforce bans on cellphones.

*** China, Google News And Source Inclusion
<http://www.google.com/googleblog/2004/09/china-google-news-and-source-inclusion.html>
by Google Team, Google Blog
On balance we believe that having a service with links that work and omits a fractional number is better than having a service that is not available at all.

*** Japanese Schools Use Computer Chips To Keep Tabs On Children
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/09/ap_2092804.asp?trk=top>
by Associated Press

*** Drowned Out By Keywords
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5667>
by Edd Dumbill, O'Reilly Network
I live in the beautiful city of York, UK. In most search oriented applications I cannot search for my city. Why?

*** Bloglines Tackles RSS Bandwidth Issue
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1659429,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by Matt Hicks, eWeek
A Weblog aggregation startup is partnering with some of the leading news reader applications to address the bandwidth consumption of XML syndication feeds.

*** Simpsons Swallowed Whole By DVD Of The Future
<http://news.com.com/Simpsons+swallowed+whole+by+DVD+of+the+future/2100-1041_3-5387732.html?part=rss&tag=5387732&subj=news.1041.20>
by Rupert Goodwins, CNET News.com
A new technologyc apable of storing the equivalent of 100 DVDs on a single DVD-size disc has been unveiled by researchers from London's Imperial College.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Expressions]

*** Macdougal Street Old-Law Flat
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2107307/fr/rss/>
by Anne Winters, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** Maybe That's Why They Rebranded It As "FairPrice" Rather Than "NTUC FairPrice"
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/29/#20040929bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
>From the latest Singapore National Education<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2004/09/sne_part_101.html>, by Mr. Brown: "We kick up a fuss over a brand like FCUK, but we can have NTUC."

[News]

*** MOFA Backtracks On Singapore
<http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2004/09/29/2003204817>
by Taipei Times

*** Singapore Resumes Poultry Import From Johor And Malacca
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/9/29/nation/9002789&sec=nation>
by K. Saithuruka, The Star
Singapore will import poultry and eggs exclusively from Johor and Malacca starting tomorrow because it is confident the products are safe, Malaysia's Argiculture and Agro-Based Industry Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said.

*** Taiwan Acknowledges Minister's 'Improper Wording' On Singapore
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=aSMkt9z5uxeQ&refer=asia>
by Bloomberg
Taiwan Foreign Minister Chen Tan-sun, who dismissed Singapore as "a country the size of a booger," regretted his "improper wording," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Michel Lu.

*** Flats-To-Condos Finds No Takers
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,275118,00.html?>
by Daryl Loo, Straits Times
In an unusual bid to cut its stock of 10,000 unsold flats, the Housing Board has asked private developers to buy entire blocks for conversion into condominiums. But the group sounded out, the Real Estate Developers' Association, has said 'no'.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.