[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 28 13:15:04 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, September 28, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Fans Ripe For A New Apple Shop
<http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/9776286.htm>
by David Hayes, Kansas City Star
They're a dedicated lot, these Apple people. The first pulled upu chairs about 11.30 pm Friday. More followed soon after midnight. By 10 am, Saturday, theline stretched for a block and a half.

*** DIY iPod Flashlight
<http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/diy-ipod-flashlight-022195.php>
by Gizmodo
If you don't want to shell out the $20 for the new Griffin iBeam flashlight (and laser pointer) accessory for the iPod, you can always shell out $20 for parts (fine, a little less) and build your own.

*** New Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update Posted
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/09/28/uniprocessor/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-0904>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
The update apparently corrects "unexpected issues" that have appeared on some Power Mac G5s after applying the first uniprocessor update, released earlier this month.

*** Analysts See Opportunity, Caution In Apple
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story.asp?source=blq/yhoo&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo&guid=%7B7887E695%2DFA0E%2D46E6%2DAB3A%2D17F35368AE65%7D>
by Rex Crum, CBS MarketWatch
With its iPod music player a hit and the new all-in-one iMac personal computer on the market, industry analysts say Apple's poised for more growth during the rest of the year and into 2005.

*** Apple Market Share To Grow Over Next Two Years
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2004/09/27/0927automarketscan04.html>
by Forbes
Strong iPod and iMac demand will lead to a strong fiscal first quarter ending in December.

*** The Laptop Experiment -- Learning Or Laziness?
<http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040927.gtlaptops25/BNStory/Technology/>
by David Stonehouse, Globe And Mail
They are costly and some parents fear them, but teachers say students who use the computers are more eager to learn and are showing increased confidence.

*** Apple Makes Data Centre Inroads With Federal Deal
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/27/1096137157170.html?oneclick=true>
by Rob O'Neill, The Age
Apple Australia has landed a deal within federal government for its storage and server systems by selling 14 RAID storage systems and five Xserve G5 servers to the Australian Sports Commission.

[Opinion]

*** Apple Needs To Dispel The Premum Price Myth
<http://www.macnightowl.com/#myth>
by Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl

*** How To Save Your City Hundreds Of Dollars With A Mac
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/MacNetJournal/#note_2911>
by Rob McNair-Huff, Mac Net Journal

*** Why You Should Never Name Your Company After A Fruit
<http://www.wistechnology.com/article.php?id=1219>
by Naseem Javed, Wisconsin Technology Network

*** Apple iMac Less Expensive Than DIY PC
<http://osviews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2350>
by osViews

*** For Schools, Apple Offers Special iMac G5, eMac
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,96217,00.html?SKC=macos-96217>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
While these special educational models offer some price savings, the question to ask when considering them is whether the savings come at too great a price.

*** For Whatever Reasons
<http://daringfireball.net/2004/09/for_whatever_reasons>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
New Windows updates, new anti-virus software, new ad-blocking software -- regular people are starting to realize that the cycle never ends, that they are never going to successfully secure Windows, and that the easiest and best solution to the Windows security problem is not to use Windows at all.

*** Is The iPod Killing Music?
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7948-1277937_1,00.html>
by John Bungey, The Times
Any original, thoughtful musical creation demands your attention, all your attention, not the bit of brain that isn't grappling with the gears on the exercise bike.

[Review]

*** Editing Photographs For The Perfectionist
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07832>
by Charles Maurer, TidBITS
In this article, I shall summarize my take on the most suitable products available for the perfectionist to finish photographs.

*** AirPort Express
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0410/rev.express.html>
by Niko Coucouvanis, MacAddict

*** ArtMatic Voyager
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0410/rev.artmatic.html>
by David Biedny, MacAddict
While Voyager is not going to make you give up dedicated 3D apps, it's easy, fun, and less of a hassle than making your own world from scratch.

*** Battlefield 1942
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0410/rev.battlefield.html>
by Helmut Kobler, MacAddict
The pace of 1942 is just too slow. Still, it's an undeniably fun game, and if you digt the retro-war theme, then its huge outdoor maps and vehicles are a great way to relive the '40s.

*** iPod 40GB
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0410/rev.ipod.html>
by Rik Myslewski, MacAddict

*** PiXiMation
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0410/rev.piximation.html>
by Tom Lassiter, MacAddict
PiXiMation should brag about how it just provided you with a great QTVR movie without costing you an arm and a leg.

*** Wireless Driver For Mac V3.0
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0410/rev.wireless.html>
by Niko Coucouvanis, MacAddict
If you don't mind violating your PowerBook with a PC card instead of an internal AirPort card, get this driver.

*** XIII
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0410/rev.xiii.html>
by Niko Coucouvanis, MacAddict
We thoroughly enjoyed playing XIII.

*** Audio Chatting: iChat Vs. Skype
<http://www.themacmind.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=591&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0>
by TheMacMind
iChat is a little older, and a little wiser. It's more stable, manages buddies better, has clearer quality in audio, and has video on top of that.

[Sidetrack]

*** 20 Years Later, We Are Still Teaching
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/28/#20040928bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
20 years ago, Apple released the Macintosh, along with its wonderful user-interface guidelines.

20 years later, Jakob Nielsen<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20040927.html> still have to teach folks the difference between checkboxes and radio buttons.

*** Slate Goes Washington (Post)
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/28/#20040928bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
One of the best thing that came out of Microsoft during the dot-com era is Slate<http://www.slate.com/>, which is rumored to be bought over by Washington Post Company.

Good luck to all the fine people working behind the scene of one of my favorite web-zine.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** E-Government Inches Ahead
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/09/wo_asbrand092804.asp?trk=top>
by Deborah Asbrand, MIT Technology Review
Monaco? Togo? A new ranking says tiny countries may have the edge in devising websites to deliver information and services.

*** Big Wi-Fi Project For Philadelphia
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/27/technology/27ecom.html?ex=1254110400&#38;en=42cb2571a281e194&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Bob Tedeschi, New York Times
Forget cheese steaks, cream cheese and brotherly love. Philadelphia wants to be known as the city of laptops.

*** Phone Lines Deliver Next-Gen TV
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,65105,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Reuters
TV over phone lines -- also known as TV over internet protocol, or TVIP -- is already taking roots in Europe.

*** Airbus' Magic In-Flight Cell Phone Technology May Be Make-Believe
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1650205,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by Guy Kewney, eWeek
Airbux makes it possible to make in-flight cell phone calls. Is it a real technology advancement, or does it work like my anti-lion powder?

*** AOL Wants Developers To Get The Message
<http://news.com.com/AOL+AIMs+for+a+mobile+standard/2100-1039_3-5384077.html?part=rss&tag=5384077&subj=news.1039.20>
by Ben Charny, CNET News.com
America Online is putting out a call to developers to bring its instant-messaging software to more cell phones.

*** Adobe Plans New Format For Digital Photos
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53032-2004Sep27.html?nav=rss_technology>
by May Wong, Associated Press
Adeobe plans to introduce a new format for digital photos on Monday in an attempt to create an industry public standard to make the archiving and editing process compatible across all types of cameras and photo software.

*** Google Admits Omitting Chinese News Links
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39167942,00.htm>
by Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK
Google News China has been accused of censorship, but the company maintains there's little value in linking to sites which the government has rendered inaccessible.

*** IBM Releases Source Code Of Speech Software
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,39020381,39167946,00.htm>
by Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

*** A Close Look At Sony's E-Book
<http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&aid=71954>
by Steve Yelvington, E-Media Tidbits
Whether this evolves into a viable news platform will depend not only on the overall price dropping substantially, but also on whether Sony opens up the device for periodical publishers without charging painful licensing fees for the digital rights management software.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Solving A Riddle Written In Silver
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/28/science/28scro.html>
by John Noble Wilford, New York Times
Modern imaging techniques have revealed some new information about the earliest biblical passage ever found in ancient artifacts.

[Life]

*** NBC Blows A Golden Opportunity
<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/236238p-202635c.html>
by David Bianculli, New York Daily News
Everything that's wrong with television these days, and with NBC in particular, is reflected in tonight's stunning disregard for TV history, tradition and quality.

*** The Sky Is Always Falling
<http://nypress.com/17/38/news&columns/feature.cfm>
by David Ritchie, New York Press
As the world awaits the passing -- or crashing -- of planetold Toutails, thoughts on the doomsday tradition and our own end-times culture.

[Expressions]

*** The Dressmaker's Child
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?041004fi_fiction>
by William Trevor, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** Obey, And Stop Asking Questions
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/28/#20040928bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
>From the Straits Times forum page<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,4386,275008,00.html?>, the Deputy Director for Corporate Communications for Chief Executive Officer at Health Sciences Authority answered a reader query on why transations of chewing gum with medicainal/dental value are recorded: because we say so.

Well, not exactly that. Here's the full response: "The Ministry of Health allows the sale of chewing gum with medicinal/dental value by a pharmacist to customers. Our current regulations require records to be kept so as to verify transactions if the need arises."

Okay, on second reading, that's exactly what was said. "Because we say so."

I am guessing that the post of deputy director, corproate communications for Chief Executive Officer is actually outsourced to China, where such responses are common-place and acceptable.

[News]

*** Singapore Partially Lifts Ban On Poultry From Malaysia
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/latest/story/0,4574,130381,00.html?>
by Business Times
Singapore partially lifted its ban on poultry from Malaysia, saying it was satisfied with steps authorities there have taken to contain the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu.

*** Taiwan Minister Slams George Yeo's Comments
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/story/0,4386,274944,00.html>
by Straits Times
Mr Chen described Singapore as 'a tiny country no bigger than nose dropping' in an agry response to BG (NS) Yeo, who said in his speech that Taiwan could drag in other countries if it continued to pursue independence.

See Also : MOFA Slams Singapore's U.N. Remarks
<http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2004/09/28/1096341945.htm>
by Taiwan News
"How dare a little country criticize Taiwan and former President Lee Teng-hui at the United Nations?"

*** Registers Of Electors Open For Inspection
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,274897,00.html?>
by M Nirmala, Straits Times
The list of Singaporeans here and overseas who are eligible to vote in the next Presidential and general elections is open for inspection from Tuesday at community clubs and centres, and at designated embassies and consulates abroad.

[Opinion]

*** No More JCs Named After Roads, Let's Make Up A Word
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2004/09/no_more_jcs_nam.html>
by Mr Brown
Sounds like a retired Russian porn star.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.