[MyAppleMenu] Sep 15, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 15 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** iTunes Under Fire Over UK Pricing
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3658200.stm>
by BBC News
Apple's iTunes music download service has been accused by the Consumers' Association of overcharging UK users. The group accused the service of charging UK-based customers nearly 20% more than those with addresses and payment details in France or Germany.

[News]

*** COLSA Corporation: Taking Apple Xserve To MACH5
<http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/colsa/>
by Barbara Gibson, ap
"The Xserve G5 is a perfect fit for us because it has a smaller footprint, uses less power, and it gives us the performance that we were looking for. We went through a bid process with specific requirements and the Apple Xserve G5 gave us the best value."

*** Apple Offers Refurb Sale As Mac Frought Continues
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9641>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
The move comes as Apple's fourth and final year quarter reaches its end this month -- while resellers across the UK complain that demand for Apple products exceeds supply.

*** Mac OS 9 Finds A Deeper Grave As Power Mac G4s Eliminated
<http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0409powermacg4.html>
by Ryan Katz, Think Secret
More than two years after Steve Jobs put Mac OS 9 "into the grave" at WWDC, Apple recently removed the last new Mac OS 9-bootable systems it offered.

*** Adobe Announces Photoshop Elements 3.0
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/15/photoshopelements/>
by MacMinute
Photoshop Elements 3.0 includes several advanced editing tools that were previously only available in Photoshop CS such as the powerful Healing Brush, which fixes blemishes and imperfections iwth one click.

*** Yahoo Shells Out $160 Million In Cash For MusicMatch
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@49.PkaAalPcPyV.0@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c51a238>
by Geoff Duncan, TidBITS
Apple's iTunes Music Store may be the current 800-pound gorilla of the online music industry, but now Yahoo -- possibly the most visited site on the Internet -- is getting into the fray.

*** Rob Glaser Responds, Talks Up Real Networks
<http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/14/1347226>
by Slashdot
"The legality of Harmony under the DMCA is well established in law... The DMCA contains a specific provision enabling companies to create just this kind of interoperability."

*** MacSoft Ships Railroad Tycoon 3
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/09/14/rt3/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-0904>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral

[Opinion]

*** Apple Expo France 2004 Show Report
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8268>
by Nicholas Blachford, OSNews.com

[Review]

*** The Keys To Happiness
<http://www.fortune.com/fortune/peterlewis/0,15704,692348,00.html>
by Peter Lewis, Fortune
Microsoft's wireless ergonomic keyboard gives those weary fingers a rest, while Logitech builds a better mouse using laser beams.

*** Meandering Macs
<http://popularmechanics.com/technology/television/2004/9/meandering_macs/>
by Christopher Allbritton, Popular Mechanics
There are a lot of things right about the EyeHome -- its simplicity, good looks and cost, but its interface drove me crazy, often leaving me frustrated and cursing.

*** Acrobat To A Paperless Office
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/09/14/pdf.html>
by Julie Starr, O'Reilly Network
I'm not to a paperless office just yet, but I'm getting there. For OS X, it's a natural. If you can print it, you can save as a PDF. Below is an introduction to Acrobat for markup if you too want to aim for less paper in your life.

*** First Look: Mozilla's Firefox Mac Browser. Oh Boy!
<http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/first_look_mozillas_firefox_mac_browser_oh_boy/>
by ALex Kayhill, Mac360

*** An RSS Reader Made The Apple Way
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2004/09/newsfire/index.php>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
What struck me the msot about NewsFire was it's simplicity.

*** BBEdit 8
<http://daringfireball.net/2004/09/bbedit_8>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The appeal of BBEdit is in its balance of powerful text-editing features and an elegant, intuitive, and unabashedly Macintosh-style interface -- and wehre by "interface" I don't mean in the sense of superficial cosmetic appeal, but in the deeper, interactive sense.

[Sidetrack]

*** Why, We're Better Than Windows, And We Will Be Better Than The Macintosh
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/15/#20040915bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Jeff Waugh<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/0,2000061733,39159436,00.htm>, Head Beekeeper of the GNOME<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME> project: "In terms of feature parity with the basic Windows desktop we've done it and we're already there. When it comes to enterprise management we need to do some work there and when you compare GNOME to features like in OS X we're almost there."

*** Who Will Apple Work With?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/15/#20040915bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Looks like Apple has learnt a lesson or two from its great Macintosh cloning experimentation.

Look at who Apple is working with in the iPod/iTunes front: Audible.com, because they offers original content that Apple cannot easily offer; HP, because (supposedly) they offer additional distribution channels that Apple cannot easily reach.

Look at who Apple is not working with: MSN, Real. What do they have that Apple doesn't already have?

*** World's Best Toilets
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/15/#20040915bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
The world's best toilets, according to the Travel Channel<http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/worldsbest/slideshows/bathrooms/bathrooms.html>. Time to redeocrate the toilet in your own castle? :-)

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Amazon To Take Searches On Web To A New Depth
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/technology/15search.html?ex=1252987200&#38;en=eb3f051def99a6a1&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by John Markoff, New York Times
Amazon.com plans to take aim at Google with an advanced technology that the company says will take searches beyond mere retrieval of Web pages to let users more fully manage the information they find.

*** A Conversation Between Dan Gillmor And Jay ROsen
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2004/09/14/gillmor.html>
by Jay Rosen, O'Reilly Network
Jay and Dan sat down recently to discuss the current state of journalism and the impact technology is having on traditional media.

*** Theme Park Takes Visitors To RFID-Land
<http://news.com.com/Theme+park+takes+visitors+to+RFID-land/2100-1006_3-5366509.html?part=rss&tag=5366509&subj=news.1006.20>
by Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com
A Florida theme park is helping parents keep track of their kids -- by giving them wristbands embedded with high-tech radio signal technology.

*** Net Service Will Cater To Camera Phone Users
<http://news.com.com/Net+service+will+cater+to+camera+phone+users/2100-1039_3-5366145.html?part=rss&tag=5366145&subj=news.1039.20>
by Ben Charny, CNET News.com
Digital photo company OurPictures plans to soon introduce a new service for camera phones, a move that hints at the day when cameras in handsets could represent the mainstream way of snapping photos.

[Linux]

*** Tech Industry To Adopt Standards For Linux
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/9658612.htm>
by Sam Diaz, San Jose Mercury News
Linux, which has been gaining ground on Microsoft, stands to get a major boost today with the unveiling of a board agreement within the tech industry to back a set of standards for the open source operating system.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** He'll Always Have Paris
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-matters15sep15,0,7046986.column?coll=la-headlines-food>
by David Shaw, Los Angeles Times
A recent trip to Frane leaves a restaurant lover longing for more affordable times.

*** I'm Cooking As Fast As I Can
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/dining/15FAST.html>
by William Grimes, New York Times
I have a new, nonnegotiable demand. I want solid, one-star dining in my home. That means a respectable two- or three-course meal, with dessert every night. And I don't want to spend a lot of time preparing it. As it happens, there is an entire industry catering to home cooks like me.

*** At The Gift Shop: Souvenirs Of Buchenwald
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/arts/design/15buch.html?8hpib>
by Andreas Tzortzis, New York Times
In a move that aims to confront the challenge of passing the solemn lessons of the Holocaust on to future generations, the Buchenwald Memorial began working with design students at Bauhaus University in Weimar last spring to create what until now had been taboo: concentration camp souvenirs.

[Expressions]

*** Romance
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2106654/fr/rss/>
by Stanley Moss, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Singapore Extends Detention For Terror Suspects
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1200010.htm>
by AFP
Singapore has extended for another two years the detention orders on 17 suspected Islamic militants accused of terrorist plots against foreign and local targets.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.