[MyAppleMenu] Sep 14, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 14 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, September 14, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Aural Heaven: iPod And Analog
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64920,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2>
by Nobuyuki Hayashi, Wired News
In high-tech Japan, an antiques dealer pioneers a new way to listen to digital music -- by piping the tunes through tube radios.

*** Mac Users Get Windows Media Tools
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9626>
by Macworld UK
Telestream has released Windows Media 9 series encoding support for Mac OS X, Flip4Mac.

*** Security Update 2004-09-07 Revised
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/09/13/security/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-0904>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
This is an updated version of the security update first released last week.

*** Apple Airs New Hip Hop TV Ad
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/13/ipodad/>
by MacMinute

*** Power Mac G5 'Uniprocessor' Firmware Update Posted
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/13/g5firmware/>
by MacMinute

*** What Steve Wozniak Learned From Failure
<http://workingknowledge.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=4367&t=innovation>
by Evan I. Schwartz, HBS Working Knowledge
The Apple II was a hit. The Cloud Nine universal remote was not. Here's what Steve Wozniak learned about creativity, and what it means for his latest venture.

*** Sonance Announces iPort
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/4611617748549252/>
by Ryan Block, Engadget

*** Apple Begins Shipping iMac G5s
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/13/imacg5/>
by MacMinute

*** Apple To Open Pleasanton, CA Store Saturday
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/13/applestore/>
by MacMinute

[Opinion]

*** Apple Too Pretty To Gain Marketshare
<http://www.applematters.com/comments.php?id=172_0_1_0_C>
by Gregory Ng, Apple Matters
If Apple thinks they will eventually dominate the market they are grossly miscalculated.

*** The Dangerous Road Ahead For Apple Computer
<http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/the_dangerous_road_ahead_for_apple_computer/>
by Jack D. Miller, Mac360

[Review]

*** Microspot Interiors 3.4: 3-D Decorating Program Helps You Avoid Surprises
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/microspotinteriors/index.php>
by Greg Miller, Macworld
Microspot has a tough job in trying to satisfy both the casual user and the professional at the same time. Current users should upgrade to this OS X version. New users should try it out first.

*** Design Intuition 1.3: 3-D CAD Software Makes Woodworking And Design Projects Easy
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/designintuition/index.php>
by Greg Miller, Macworld
Design Intuition 1.3 is easy and fun, as well as a great value. I recommend it for woodworkers, cabinetmakers, and kitchen designers.

*** Studio Artist 3.0: Graphics Program Explodes With New Tools
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/studioartist3/index.php>
by Ben Long, Macworld
If you're a hobbyist, you won't want to dismiss Studio Artist 3.0; it's one of the best deals you'll find in graphics software.

*** Epson PictureMate: Little Photo Printer Offers Computer-Free Snapshots
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/picturemate/index.php>
by James Galbraith, Macworld

*** Pyramid Therapy
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07812>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS
Anyone who has been attracted by the mind-map idea but found the existing programs too complex or too expensive should definitely investigate Pyramid.

*** I-Phono Eliminates iPod Wires
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07811>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
If you're not yet desperate to eliminate your iPod's wires (or not so desperate that you'd spend more than $200 to do so), I recommend waiting a few months... On the other hand, if you're addicted to your iPod and dying for a pair of wireless headphones, give the i-Phono a look.

*** Using iTunes As An Audio Processor
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5580>
by Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network
I've been working on an audio restoration project that's helped me to discover new ways to use my existing tools. The one that I simply can't live without is the Volume Logic plug-in for iTunes made by OCTiV software. Let me explain why.

*** iMate Is My Mate
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2004/09/imate/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Apple Macintosh 17in PowerBook
<http://www.vnunet.com/products/hardware/1158045>
by Anthony Dhanendran, Computeractive
The 17in PowerBook is a notebook computer that will be of maximum use to only a few people, but it is quite stunning to look at and a joy to use.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Of The Day: Huge Settlement Ahead
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/14/#20040914bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
As picked up by everyone, the rumor today is that the Apple-Beatles music settlement<http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040913-4182.html> may be huge. We are talking about "mind-boggling" huge.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** The Future Is Now
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-tr-change14sep14,1,4941693.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
by Laurie Berger, Los Angeles Times
Welcome to the e-travel revolution. Change is already happening, as technology cuts frustration and time.

*** Professional Bloggers Find Workload High, Return Slim
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1645505,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by Ellen Simon, Associated Press
The money that is in blogland goes to only a few.

*** Innovations For An Increasingly Demanding Wireless Crowd
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/data/2004-09-13-demomobile-recap_x.htm>
by Frank Bajak, Associated Press
Wi-Fi wireless and Voice over Internet phoning have tossed the telecoms industry into turmult, making carriers more desperate for new streams of revenue. Unfortunately for the carriers, some of the hottest new applications won't lend a hand.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** 'Excuse Me. May I Have Your Seat?'
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/14/nyregion/14subway.html?8hpib>
by Michael Luo, New York Times
Thirty years ago, first-year graduate students boarded a crowded train and ask someone for a seat. What happens when you repeat the experiment?

[Life]

*** Picasso's Buried Treasure
<http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2004/09/14/picasso/index_np.html>
by Barbara Tannenbaum, Salon
Using X-rays and Silicon Valley technology, conservators have discovered a previously unknown painting behind the artist's "Rue de Montmartre."

[EOF]

*** No Name For Hush-Hush Magazine
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/13/business/media/13amex.html?8hpib>
by David Carr, New York Times
What would you call a magazine with no newsstand sales, just five articles, four ads, and an unknown, very small, number of subscribers?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Singapore Highway Collapse Caused By 'Glaring' Safety Lapses
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/9/14/latest/18874Singapore&sec=latest>
by Associated Press
The cave-in of a newly excavated subway tunnel that left four construction workers dead in Singapore earlier this year was likely caused by lapses in basic safety guidelines, an inquiry board has said.

*** Fancy A Massage At 3 In The Morning?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/25865.asp>
by Jose Raymond, Today
All-night spas and massage parlours with liquor licences could soon be available in Singapore if the police's licensing division accepts recommendations made by the Advisory Panel on Licensing.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.