[MyAppleMenu] Sep 5, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 5 13:15:01 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, September 5, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Paris Showcase For Apple's Vision
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/3580988.stm>
by Richard Taylor, BBC News
"When Apple is the innovator, the leader doing remarkable things that are successful, then of course the market will start to follow in our footsteps. That's a sign that Apple's back in front and doing great things, a great situation to be in."

*** Dot-Com Busts Converted Charleston Man Into iPod Acessorizer
<http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031777746332&path=!localnews&s=1037645509099>
by Associated Press
A telvision ad for Apple's new iPod digital music player caught his attention -- and ambition.

[Opinion]

*** It Takes Time To Judge The True Impact Of New Technology
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61088-2004Sep4.html>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
Price cuts, bug fixes, maintenance upgrades and better or worse marketing all change how a piece of hardware or software fares in the market. How did those factors affect the things I've covered in the past year?

[Review]

*** BBEdit -- The Text Editor For Processing Words
<http://www.macblog.com/comments.php?id=218_0_1_0_C>
by MacBlog

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** A World-Stopping Moment Lost In The News Buzz
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60767-2004Sep3.html>
by Philip Kennicott, Washington Post
It's a photograpic conceit that people in pain speak to us. It's a conceit of television that the world flows in and through some process that mirrors the average viewer's conscience.

[Life]

*** The New New York Skyline
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/arts/design/05OURO.html?ex=1252123200&>
by Nicolai Ouroussoff, New York Times
For the last three years, our collective focus has been on ground zero. Meanwhile, some of the world's most prominent architects have been quietly pressing ahead with plans that will remake the city's skyline on a level not seen since the World Trade Center was built in the 1970's.

*** Check It Out!
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47910-2004Aug30.html>
by Cari Shane Parven, Washington Post
Libraries are looking for readers, the younger the better.

*** Safe And Sound
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/05/nyregion/thecity/05ipod.html>
by Andre Aciman, New York Times
Rituals are magical. Riding a bike through Central Park every summer morning while listening to Maria Callas on my iPod, then coming back two hours later along the sunswept trees of Riverside Drive and finding Callas exactly where I'd left her. Listening to Brahms's intermezzos at Satrbucks every afternoon while indulging my new addiction, iced grande skimmed lattes. Such rituals give greater luster to random things I already love.

*** 'Airline' Reality TV At BWI
<http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/bal-bz.airline03sep03.story>
by Meredith Cohn, Baltimore Sun
On your average day, not a lot of Southwest Airlines' passengers are particularly unruly, unkempt, drunk or romantic -- in other words, hardly worthy of a reality TV show. But consider the material.

*** Hearts And Minds
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50653-2004Aug31.html>
by Paul Gustafson, Washington Post
Will a group of Arlington teenagers renounce the siren call of pizza, PlayStation 2 and the Internet after witnessing bypass surgery and learning the risks of coronary disease?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** Dubai As A Model For Singapore
<http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/44676.html>
by Richard Dean, AME Info
Singapore's economic miracle can serve as a model for the Middle East. But increasingly it is Singapore that can learn from places like Dubai.

[Technology]

*** Photo Portals Are Great For Storing, Not Printing
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/click/story/0,4386,271005,00.html?>
by Mike Lee, Straits Times
More people are posting their photos online but many baulk at ordering prints online.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.