[MyAppleMenu] Nov 19, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 19 13:15:00 EST 2004

[Top Stories]

*** Wanna Buy An iPod, Guv?
<http://news.com.com/Wanna+buy+an+iPod%2C+guv%3F/2100-1041_3-5458607.html?part=rss&tag=5458607&subj=news.1041.20>
Jo Best, CNET News.com

Don't bet your house on getting your hands on the iPod of your choice, though. The newest iPods have yet to arrive.

*** Apple Confirms More UK Retail Stores
<http://macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10201>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple today confirmed it plans new retail outlets across the UK and Europe.

[News]

*** iPod Updater Brings Parity And A Bit More
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2004/11/miniupdate/index.php>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

So what's this "and a Bit More" promised in the headline? It turns out that the update changes some of the mini's diagnostic tests.

*** MacExpo: Fans Wait With Intent For Apple Store Opening
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10211>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

The queue has started. A tent and a handful of dedicated Mac users were spotted outside the Apple Store on Regents Street last night at 1 am. Two days before the store is set to open to the public.

*** U2 Sees iPod TV Spots As Synergy, Not Sellout
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2004-11-18-u2-ipod_x.htm>
Edna Gundersen, USA Today

"Selling out is when you do something  you don't want to for cash. We really wanted to do this. What could be cooler than having our own iPod and exploring new digital formats?"

*** Wozniak Gives Old Friend Jobs High Marks For Technology Leadership
<http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=53700553>
Steven Burke, CRN

Wozniak said Apple is the best bar none at developing technology that "fits how a human being is and thinks. I still see that going on at Apple more than any other company in the world."

*** The iPod Economy
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/2004/11/18/cx_ld_1118ipod.html>
Lisa DiCarlo, Forbes

All kinds of companies are going along for the ride.

*** MacExpo: Knoica Minolta Offers Free iPods
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10172>
Macworld UK

Knoica Minolta is offering a free 20GB iPod with some printers.

*** iPod Updater 2004-11-15 Released
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/11/18/ipodupdater/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1104>
Peter Cohen, MacCentral

This update is mainly aimed at iPod mini users.

[Review]

*** Apple's iSight, A Webcam And More
<http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,118595,00.asp>
Rebecca Freed, PC World

Software developers have made the iSight good for much more than just video chat.

*** Radio Takes The Big Leap Forward
<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/18/scitech/pcanswer/main656356.shtml>
Larry Magid, CBS News

Despite some flaws, for radio buffs like me, RadioShark is a very useful product but it could use some fine-tuning.

*** Spider-Man 2: The Game
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=528>
Matthew Stoton, Inside Mac Games

If you are not 110% hardcore Spider-Man fan you will not enjoy this.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Says IE Updates Possible
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+says+IE+updates+possible/2100-1012_3-5457324.html?part=rss&tag=5457324&subj=news.1012.20>
Paul Festa, CNET News.com

Microsoft, under pressure to add new features to Internet Explorer, said it might do so by way of the browser's add-on mechanism.

*** Advertisers Muscle Into RSS
<http://www.wired.com/news/ebiz/0,1272,65745,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Daniel Terdiman, Wired News

Create a useful technology, and it's only a matter of time before advertising worms into its heart.

*** Do Software Users Need Indemnificiation?
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/11/18/HNindemnification_1.html>
Joris Evers, IDG News Service

With the growing threat of infringement lawsuits users are showing more interest in indemnification programs.

[Linux]

*** Microsoft 'Warns Of Linux Claims'
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4021775.stm>
BBC News

Microsoft has reportedly told Asian governments that they could face intellectual property rights claims if they use free software such as Linux.

[World]

*** Under The Cover Of Islam
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/18/opinion/18manji.html?ex=1258520400&#38;en=61949cd76971077f&%2338;ei=5088&%2338;partner=rssnyt>
Irshad Manji, New York Times

What gives me the sense the ven modern Muslims can't be modern enough for Western Europe?

[Tech & Science]

*** Running Extra Mile Sets Humans Apart In Primates' World
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/18/science/18run.html?ex=1258520400&#38;en=03313452b1c3fdde&%2338;ei=5088&%2338;partner=rssnyt>
John Noble Wilford, New York Times

Endurance running, unique to humans among primates and uncommon in all mammals other than dogs, horses and hyenas, apparently evolved at least two million years ago and probably let human ancestors hunt and scavenge over great distances.

[Life]

*** How I Learned To Love Larry
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.11/larry.html>
Hilary Rosen, Wired

She was the champion of the music industry. He was the voice of the people. It was a deathmatch made in heaven -- but they found common ground.

*** Censorship -- Yes, But Whose?
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2004/11/17/bmrc17.xml&sSheet=/arts/2004/11/17/ixartleft.html>
Rupert Christiansen, Telegraph

With society so fragmented and our values so relative, there can be no such consensus today. Unsatisfactorily, one is left to conclude that the only workable form of censorship is access to the off-switch.

*** Bono's New Casualty: 'Private Ryan'
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/21/arts/21rich.html?oref=login&ex=1258520400&>
Frank Rich, New York Times

Merely the threat that the F.C.C. might punish a TV station or a network is all that's needed to push them onto the slippery slope of self-censorship before anyone in Washington even bothers to act. This is McCarthyism, "moral values" style.

[Top Stories]

*** The Litmus Tests Of A More Open Society
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/29695.asp>
Derrick A Paulo, Today

"It actually gives a sense of openness: the government is listening. But, really, it is on these issues that don't touch them at all."