[MyAppleMenu] Mar 31, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 31 13:15:01 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, March 31, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** iPod People
<http://www.courier-journal.com/features/2004/03/30/ipodpeople.html>
by Larry Muhammad, Courier-Journal
Legions of music lovers turn to little portable jukeboxes.

*** Mac Word Notes View ANd OneNote
<http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2004/03/17/91475.aspx>
by Rick Schaut
The number one constraint is development resources. Availability of development resources doesn't invovle what you already have in the bank. It involves the return you can expect to receive from committing those resources to a particular project. It's about profitability.

*** Apple, Adobe Drifting Apart
<http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5181434.html>
by David Becker, CNET News.com
They share an area code, a customer segment and a history dating back to the early days of personal computing. But Apple Computer and Adobe Systems, like many in long-term relationships, have seen the 20-year-and-counting bond betwen them run hot and cold.

[News]

*** Apple's iPod Patent Not Thinking Differently Enough
<http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/apples_ipod_patent_not_thinking_differently_enough.php>
by Gizmdo
Designer Noel Rubin was a little perturbed. iPod's interface bears a striking resemblance to his 'scrollJET' project, a Macromedia Shockwave front end that allows visual hierarchical browsing of filesystems.

*** iTunes 'Is Music-Licence Leader'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8308>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple's business model "responds to many of the current legal and technological challenges in online media distribution."

*** Apple In 3D-Audio Move
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8302>
by Macworld UK
Apple has announced that it is officially endorsing OpenAL -- a cross-platform three-dimensional audio API -- and has contributed modifications that result in dramatic performance enhancements for gaming audio on Mac OS X.

*** WiebeTech Offers Quad BayDock 800
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/03/30/wiebetech/index.php?redirect=1080656971000>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
The device is a four-drive FireWire 800 enclosure suitable for RAID applications.

*** Coolshield.com Offers BriefPaks For iBook, PowerBook
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/03/30/briefpak/index.php?redirect=1080656870000>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral

[Opinion]

*** Apple Display Dyslexia
<http://www.macobserver.com/columns/devilsadvocate/2004/20030330.shtml>
by John Kheit, Mac Observer
Why is Apple losing the resolution race to Dell?

*** Is The Pismo The Most Elegant, Desirable PowerBook Ever?
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=1026_0_1_0_M>
by Charles W. Moore, Applelinks

[Review]

*** On The Road, Again?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2097997/fr/rss/>
by Peter Rojas, Slate
The best ways to listen to MP3s in your car.

*** Going On Safari
<http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/mac/story/0,24330,3652587,00.html>
by Christopher Breen, TechTV
Safari has a few tricks of its own. I'll take you on a tour of some of my favorites.

*** Mac OS X: Making The Switch
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6537>
by James Kahan, OSNews.com
I know this article seems like a long advertisement for Apple, but now I understand why Mac users are such zealots. I am so amazed by the fact that everything just works that I feel the need to convert everyone I know.

*** Mac OS X 10.3.x: Time Being Incorrectly Set One Hour Ahead
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040330082514701>
by MacFixIt
"The time on finder shows one hour ahead although on the preferences the time is correct."

[Sidetrack]

*** Codename Tiger
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/03/31/#20040331bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Tiger<http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/03/20040330150815.shtml>: That's probably the name that Apple will use to sell the next major version of Mac OS X. And if past histocial trends continue, expect to see Tiger (a.k.a. Mac OS X 10.4) in stores by end of the year.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Criticized For Vulnerable Software
<http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/democrat/8308142.htm>
by Jube Shiver Jr., Los Angeles Times
As Windows users are being plagued by computer viruses, spam, buggy software and Web pop-up ads, some people are questioning why Microsoft has failed to integrate security and repair features that would make computers less prone to problems.

*** EC's Microosft Ruling -- A Big Mistake
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107_2-5181729.html>
by John Carroll, ZDNet
A common complaint I have against antitrust is its tendency to turn what was previously legal illegal, and then penalizing the offending company for actions performed before the shift.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Report: Offshore IT Outsourcing Helps Economy
<http://news.com.com/2100-1022_3-5181612.html>
by Ed Frauenheim, CNET News.com
In the latest salvo in a debate over sending tech work overseas, a report sponsored by an industry group concludes that the practice is good for the U.S. economy and its workers.

*** Google Hit With 'Geo-Location' Lawsuit
<http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5181810.html>
by Jonathan Skillings and Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com
A Georgia company is suing Google over technology that the search giant uses to target advertising at Web surfers based on their location.

[Internet]

*** Should The United Nations Run The Internet?
<http://news.com.com/2010-1028_3-5181327.html>
by Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com
The United Nations wants to expand its influence over the Internet, but would it be wise to let that happen?

[Linux]

*** Wal-Mart Sells PCs With Sun's Linux
<http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5182158.html>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com
Wal-Mart has begun selling Microtel PCs that come with Sun's version of the Linux operating system.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** The Military Industrial Porn Complex
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/03/30/military_mags/index_np.html>
by John Feffer, Salon
Popular science magazines used to be aimed at the geeky wannabe inventor. Today, it's all about the glamour of war.

*** Simply Simpson
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2097974/fr/rss/>
by Kevin Canfield, Slate
Why pop songwriting's not what it used to be.

[Expressions]

*** Poem To Fire
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2097969/fr/rss/>
by Peter Campion, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Civil Servants Get Wake-Up Call
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,243129,00.html?>
by Eugene Low, Straits Times
The weakness Teo Chee Hean pinpointed among public servants are that they are to risk averse, lack a good understanding of how markets work and that they do not cooperate enough with other ministries.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.