[MyAppleMenu] Mar 30, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 30 13:15:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, March 30, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Noah Johnson: Folding Proteins At Home
<http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/proteinfolding/>
by Barbara Gibson, Apple
In what is rapidly becoming a new world of democratic computing, Noah Johnson's three Power Macs are humming quietly away, helping Stanford University scientists solve a complex problem that, one day, may help them fight disease.

[News]

*** Apple Accpeting WWDC Annual Design Award Entries
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/03/29/wwdc/?lsrc=mcrss-0304>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
The Apple Design Awards recognize excellence throught hree separate contests: Application Software, QuickTime Content, and new for 2004, Performance Demos.

*** New Vail High School To Use Laptops Instead Of Text Books
<http://www.kgun9.com/story.asp?TitleID=3686&ProgramOption=News>
by Terry Gonzalez, KGUN 9
A Tucson school district has proposed a plan that woul dhave "clicking" instead of "flipping."

*** Mass Merchants Pounce On iPod
<http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?id=980571522&fp=16&fpid=0>
by Sarah Stokely, ARN
Apple's iPod has confirmed its mass market appeal with the news that Myer, Megamart, Target and Domayne stores are to stock the top performing music player.

*** Police Warn iPod Users After Spate Of THefts
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/03/30/nipod30.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/03/30/ixnewstop.html>
by Nick Britten, Telegraph
Owners of the iPod are being urged by police to use cheaper headphones to prevent muggings.

*** Virgin Gets Taste For Apple's iPod
<http://news.com.com/2009-1088_3-984352.html>
by CNET News.com
Apple's iPod is a big hit "across the pond," in the Virgin Atlantic Airways lounge at London's Heathrow Airport.

*** Apple Wants Patent On iPod Interface
<http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5181088.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news>
by Matt Loney, CNET News.com
Apple appears to have learned from its mistake in relying on copyright law and is now turning to patent law to protect its user interfaces.

*** BBEdit Update Adds Features, Fixes Problems
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/03/29/bbedit/index.php?redirect=1080571117000>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral

*** Tiny Server Powers Big Jobs
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,9091774%5E15309%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
by David Frith, The Barrow
There's not a Mac in sight among its 40-odd Windows XP and 2000 desktop computers -- but there is a dual-processor Apple Xserve network server at the centre of this hub of industry.

[Review]

*** The Majestic Alps And The King Of Keyboards
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07607>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
If you live and die by your keyboard as I do, Matias's Tactile Pro Keyboard is absolutely worth a try.

*** iChat Status Report
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07606>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
Despite its undeniable utility, I retain a love-hate relationship with iChat, and after much consideration, I've realized that it has nothing to do with actually using the program, but with the limited ways that the program lets me manage my availability with different groups of people.

*** iClip
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=1021_0_1_0_M>
by Bill Stiteler, Applelinks
Power users who find themselves jugggling a lot of information, or using the same bits over and over again will find this tool one of the must-haves for their Mac.

*** iChat Pack Rat
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/archives/000129.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
What happens when you've got 1,725 iChat transcripts -- a full 15 MB of data? Simple answer, questionable name: Spiny Software's excellent Logorrhea.

[Sidetrack]

*** Free (As In Lunch) Software In Trouble?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/03/30/#20040330bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Macromedia<http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/productinfo/faq/updater/#item-5>: We wanted to offer the updater to our users for free and, to comply with US accounting rules, we couldn't include any additional functionality and not charge for it.

[Wintel]

*** Gates Points To 2006 Longhorn Release
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/29/HNgateshorn_1.html>
by Joris Evers, IDG News Service
Bill Gates stopped short of setting 2006 as the year for the next version of Windows, code-named Longhorn, but said that industry speculation that the operating system will come out in 2006 is "probably valid speculation."

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** What Is Bill Gates Thinking?
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1556075,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by eWeek
Microsoft's chief software architect recently returned from one of his fabled "Think Weeks" full of ideas on mesh networking, unified networking and more.

[Internet]

*** Google Gets Its Groove On
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,62858,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Associated Press
Google has fine-tuned its popular online search engine with a new look designed to drive more traffic to its shopping service, Froogle, and promote little-known tools that aren't featured on its website's sparse front page.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Face The Fetus
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2097927/fr/rss/>
by William Saletan, Slate
It's time for abortion rights advocates to stop denying reality.

*** At The Center Of The Storm Over Bush And Science
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/30/science/30ADVI.html>
by James Glanz, New York Times
To a degree not seen in previous administrations, a wide range of influential scientists express dismay at White House science policy.

[Life]

*** The Height Gap
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040405fa_fact>
by Burkhard Bilger, New Yorker
Why Europeans are getting taller and taller -- and Americans aren't.

[Expressions]

*** Super Goat Man
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?040405fi_fiction>
by Jonathan Lethem, New Yorker

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** The Road To Singapore
<http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA406776>
by Ed Sperling, Electronic News
Singapore remains a central and civilized place for managing the entire region.

*** Yes, The Singapore Economy Has A Higher Speed Limit
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/commentary/story/0,4386,243022,00.html>
by Eddie Lee, Straits Times
Underlying the assumed speed limit of 3 to 5 per cent is the belief that Singapore's labour force can grow no more than 1 to 2 per cent.

[News]

*** Days Of Job-Hopping Are Here Again
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/premiumstory/0,4574,112311,00.html?>
by Chuang Peck Ming, Business Times
Over four in 10 of more than 600 employers polled in Singapore in January anticipated talent retention to be a problem this year.

*** PM To Youth: Singapore's Not Centre Of World
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,242956,00.html?>
by Eugene Low, Straits Times
Apathy of the young worries PM Goh, who wants them to understand that external events can affect their lives.

[Technology]

*** Singapore Regulator May Be Less Stringent On 3G Deadline
<http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/040330/15/3j4vq.html>
by Sai Man, Dow Jones
Singapore's telecom regulator may back off from slapping stiff penalties on mobile phone operators that fail to meet the year-end deadline to offer high-speed third generation, or 3G, phone services, an official said Tuesday.

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore Is Worth All The Fuss
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2004/03/30/singapore_is_worth_all_the_fuss/?rss_id=Boston%20Globe%20--%20Living%20/%20Arts%20News>
by Alex Beam, Boston Globe
Mr. Fussy is thinking: I have died and gone to heaven.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.