[MyAppleMenu] Monday, Mar 8, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 8 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Mar 8, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Inside The Apple iPod Design Triumph (Erik Sherman, Electronics Design Chain Magazine)
<http://www.designchain.com/coverstory.asp?issue=summer02>
Apple's design chain relied on off-the-shelf components integrated in an elegant way. Where the value rapidly accumulates is in the intelligent coordination among the vendors and integration of their products.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
iTunes Song Swap Helper Vanishes From Net (John Borland, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5171519.html>
Bill Zeller simply lost the source code in a catastrophic computer crash.

FileMaker Boosts Workgroup Database (Paul Krill, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/08/10NNfilemaker_1.html>
Capacity, relational capabilties, security to be enhanced.

Pocket PCs Masquerade As iPods (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,62542,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
StarBrite is selling a pPod, a virtual iPod for Pocket PCs, that -- given Apple's past tolerance for knockoffs -- may not be available for very long.

'Glorious' OS X Eclipses Linux (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8112>
Linux experts say the best Linux interfaces "pale besides the glory that is the Mac OS X user interface."

The Macintosh At 20: Interview With Jef Raskin (Berkeley Groks)
<http://socrates.berkeley.edu/%7Efrank/BerkeleyGroks_Raskin.htm>
"I'm very disappointed in the Macintosh interface. It's more complex, harder to use than it was when we started."

Apple Confirms Xserve G5 Delay -- Power Mac Revision Affected? (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=8111>
"We're working hard to start shipping the new Xserve systems in March 2004, not by the end of February as originally announced."

Macs At Work -- Interview With Kathy Lies (Russ Walkowich, MyMac.com)
<http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=1679>

Apple In The Pink (Barry Willis, Stereophile)
<http://www.stereophile.com/news/030804apple/>
Apple is riding a wave that shows no sign of breaking.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
More On "Mac-Like" (Rick Schaut)
<http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2004/02/28/81575.aspx>
This is a mistake that we in the software industry make all too often. We assume that casual, or even somewhat savvy, users mean the same thing we do when they use the terminology we use.

Apple's Competitive Advantage (Rob Enderle, TechNewsWorld)
<http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/33061.html>
Where Apple really stands out is in marketing.

Why Is Apple MIA From The Living Room (Dave Salvator, ExtremeTech)
<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,,1543233,00.asp>
Making a serious living-room play could improve Apple's fortunes.

Apple Mini Rescues The Microdrive (Richard Menta, MP3NewsWire.net)
<http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2004/microdrive.html>
Give Hitachi credit for making viable to the marketplace. Give them credit for convincing Apple this was the drive for them.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Rally Shift (Perry Longinotti, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=486>
A lot of the elements that make other games in this genre entertaining are absent.

I Came, I Saw, iPod (Butch Dalisay, Philippine Star)
<http://www.philstar.com/philstar/Lifestyle200403080503.htm>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
One Person, One Phone (Corie Lok, MIT Technology Review)
<http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/innovation10304.asp?trk=nl>
As Wi-Fi networks link with cellular networks, telephonic unity nears.

Competing Standards May Shake Up E-Mail (Paul Roberts, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/03/05/10NNemail_1.html>
Microsoft, Sendmail, and Yahoo are pushing anti-spam protocols.

Computers 'Must Become Greener' (Tim Hirsch, BBC News)
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3541623.stm>
Worldwide efforts are needed to reduce the environmental damage caused by computer equipment, according to a United Nations research group.

A Software Aimed At Taming File-Sharing (John Schwartz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/08/technology/08music.html>
Audible Magic has developed a technology that it says can spot copyrighted materials while they are being passed from computer to computer and block the transfer.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
Unhappy Birthday (Eric Gibson, Wall Street Journal)
<http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110004775>
Is it the literary Seuss, creator of charmingly anarchic, oddball characters whose adventures are recounted in ingenious nonsense verse? Or is it the Seuss of Hollywood and myriad product tie-ins who has been "interpreted" and marketed and theme-parked within an inch -- maybe beyond -- of his reputation?

Do Straight Guys Want To Read A Men's Shopping Magazine? (Larry Smith, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2004/03/08/cargo/index_np.html>
Do gay men? Does anyone? Should everyone? A close encounter with Cargo, the new Lucky for men.

The Terrazzo Jungle (Malcolm Gladwell, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040315fa_fact1>
Fifty years ago, the mall was born. America would never be the same.

In Alaska, Getting There Is Half The Fun (Bill Pennington, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/sports/othersports/01ALAS.html>
In Alaska, to play something as routine as a basketball or volleyball game, hundreds of teams habitually crisscross a mammoth state on jets, marine ferries, vans and even caravans of snowmobiles.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Flash Floods Hit Several Areas; Bukit Timah And Rochor Worst Hit (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/print/74430/1/.html>

SIA Pilot Ryan Goh To Appeal Revocation Of Entry Permits (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/print/74313/1/.html>
"If you want to have a long lasting relationship, both sides must be open, must be frank and must be logical, you don't play games, then there will be a climate of trust and confidence."

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.