[MyAppleMenu] Sunday, Mar 7, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 7 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Mar 7, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
iMovie For Kids (Nathan Torkington, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4536>
"The kids are loving them!"

Computer Wars (Roadstead.com)
<http://www.roadstead.com/weblog/index.php?entry=/Commentary/ComputerWars.txt>
You know -- the Sony and BetaMax analogy.

About Apple Care (Sivasothi, MacSingapore)
<http://www.macsingapore.com/news/archives/200403.php#000025>
While this experience has not been njoyable, the clarification has been somewhat reassuring.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Experts Question Microsot's Caller ID Plans (Paul Roberts, IDG News Service)
<http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115095,00.asp>
Microsoft's claim that it owns patents around Caller ID and its decision to license the technology to third parties, rather than submit it to an Internet standards body, have riled e-mail experts and domain owners.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
The Golden Age Of Mediocrity (Patrick J. Kiger, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-mediocre10mar07,1,5475503.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine>
We live in age peopled by more artistic geniuses than in any other moment in history, though the bar is set considerably lower than in the past.

Food Fighter (Peggy Orenstein, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/07/magazine/07WATERS.html>
Alice Waters is taking her message of eating healthfully, organically and locally to middle schoolers in their lunchrooms. If she builds a better sloppy Joe, will they eat it?

In The Realm Of Jet Lag (Pico Iyer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/07/magazine/07JETLAG.html>
Because jet lag is so much a part of my life now, I tell myself I will make the most of it; attend to it, enjoy its disruptions, as I would those of a geographically foreign place.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Gay Culture Comes Out In Conversative Singapore (Sophie Hares, Reuters)
<http://www.reuters.com/locales/newsArticle.jsp?type=worldNews&locale=en_IN&storyID=4512226>
"The scene has blossomed over the past five or six years, as the government has chosen to close one eye to the development of an entertainment industry catering to the gay crowd."

New Film Makes Fun Of Singapore Censors (Wong Kim Hoh, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,238751,00.html?>
Royston Tan made "Cut", a 12-minute musical that satirises censorship in Singapore, and lampoons Ms Amy Chua, director of media content at the Media Development Authority.

Controversial Pilot Will Lose PR Status (Rebecca Lee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4386,238756,00.html?>
The ICA has informed Capt Ryan Goh, fingered as the instigator in the Alpa-S ouster, of its intention.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.