[MyAppleMenu] Jul 7, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 7 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Wednesday, July 7, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Apple: iPod Mini Goes International July 24
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/07/07/ipodmini/index.php?redirect=1089187279000>
by Peter Cohen and Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral
Apple on Wednesday announced that its iPod mini will begin shipping internationally on July 24. However, it's still going to take some time to catch up with the demand the diminutive device has seen since it's release.

[News]

*** Apple Selects John Kraft As iCards Featured Artist
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/07/johnkraft>
by MacMinute

*** Analysts Weigh In On Apple iMac Shortage
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/07/07/analysts/index.php?redirect=1089187288000>
by Jim Darlymple, MacCentral
"It's pretty significant when you consider the iMac's lagging sales over the past year."

*** Bluetake I-Phono BT420EX Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
<http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=4377_0_6_0_C>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iPodlounge

*** Apple Retail Gets New VP
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/06/appleretail>
by MacMinute
Former Ralph Lauren executive Bridget Ryan Berman has been named vice-president and chief operating officer for Apple's retail operation.

*** Apple In Danger Of Missing Out On The Fruits Of Its Labour
<http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1087373539718>
by Scott Morrison, Financial Times
The pressure to innovate is mounting. Add to that problems getting products to market. Against this background, digital entertainment appears to represent Apple's best long-term growth prospects.

*** 100 Million Song Countdown
<http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/004784.html>
by Sandy McMurray
To enter the contest, you simply buy a song from the iTunes store. Or... you could enter the contest free!

*** Newton OS X-ified
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=365328>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
Install packages on a Newton MessagePad from a Mac OS X computer over a serial connection.

*** PearPC Co-Author Killed By Train
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=365503>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

*** Rich Wareham Of Desktop Manager
<http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000300.html>
by DrunkenBlog
Desktop Manager has garnered much praise for being high-quality, free, and open-source.

*** OS X Tiger Seeks Enterprise Adoption
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/34955.html>
by Blane Warrene, MacNewsWorld
"IT managers are standardizing their hardware and software, and Apple is trying to appeal to them and retain share."

*** IDG To Launch iPodworld Magazine
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/07/06/ipodworld>
by MacMinute
iPodworld will feature iPod and music news, previews of upcoming products, software and hardware reviews, digital lifestyle how-to articles, and review of music available from the iTunes Music Store.

*** Live365 Introduces Radio365 Player
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/07/06/radio365/index.php?redirect=1089128959000>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
The software leets user tune in to thousands of Live365 stations, browsing by genre or search by artists, album, track and other criteria.

[Opinion]

*** Mac Is Superior In The Workplace, But Often Falls Victim To Misconcepts
<http://www.macwrite.com/macsinbusiness/mac-superior-in-the-workplace.php>
by Anthony Lynn, MacWrite.com

*** Ode To The Flat Panel iMac: A Disappointment? I Think Not
<http://www.macsimumperspective.com/more.php?id=258_0_1_0_M>
by Dennis Sellers, Macsimum
The flat panel iMac wa sa triumph in computer design and a solid seller, even during tough economic times.

*** Apple's 'Just One More Thing' Product Design
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/34971.html>
by Joe Wilcox, MacNewsWorld
While some vendors look to lock in customers, Apple's panache is creating distinctive products that are so cool some people feel that they can't live without them.

*** Apple's WWDC 2004: Low Carb Keynote, Tiger Tease, Tablet Longing
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/2004/07/05.html#a34>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
WWDC is the first five-day conference I've been to that was worth staying the five days.

*** Many Windows
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=2883>
by Brent Simmons
The web has had a major impact on the design of desktop applications.

*** Feeds That Download To Disk
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=2885>
by Brent Simmons
All I'm saying is that I don't know what would be best here. It's broken in so many ways.

[Review]

*** iClip One Of The 'Must Have' OS X Utilities
<http://www.macsimumperspective.com/more.php?id=257_0_1_0_C>
by Dennis Sellers, Macsimum
A combination clipboard/scrapbook tool, iClip lets you drag and drop and copy and pasates all sorts of info into its "clipping bins."

*** FileMaker Server 7
<http://www.it-enquirer.com/index.php/ite/more/filemaker_server/>
by IT-Enquirer

*** Mac OS X Provides Superb Programs
<http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1089102945187970.xml>
by Al Fasoldt, Syracuse Post-Standard
I could do without a lot of the programs I run on my OS X Macintosh, but there are at least 10 I consider essential.

*** Apple's WWDC 2004: Necessity Breeds PowerBook Battery Hacks
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/2004/07/05.html#a35>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
Here are my suggestions for squeezing extra life from your PowerBook battery.

*** Shooters' Aim Is True
<http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1089102951187970.xml>
by Nancy Fasoldt, Syracuse Post-Standard
'Unreal, "Kaijin' both are engaging, fun.

*** Unix Gems For Mac OS X
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/07/06/unix_gems.html>
by Kevin O'Malley, O'Reilly Network
In this article, I'll expose you to some truly useful programs that you may not know about. Then I'll show you how to incorporate them into your daily work.

*** Fooling The Boss
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/archives/2004/07/000250.php>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Anyone who seriously thinks they can fool their employer with such a cheesy iChat tirck deserves to lose their job.

[Sidetrack]

*** Yet Another Reason Why You Should Use A Mac
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/07/#20040707bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
To plug in the power supply for your Dell, you'd need to plug the round peg in a square hole<http://broken.typepad.com/b/2004/07/dell_laptop_plu.html>, rather than doing the obvious, which is to plug the round peg into the round hole next to the square hole.

*** RTFA
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/07/#20040707bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
I think the headline-writer for Dr Gizmo<http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1089102949187972.xml> is in denial, when he or she wrote "No, Microsoft Didn't Steal Apple's Interface."

After all, look at what Dr Gizmo wrote:

"Microsoft borrowed ideas from Apple's Lisa and Mac operating systems..."

"Microsoft had no clue about a graphical interface should look and behave..."

"[Microsoft] saw how Apple did things with the Mac and knew it had to change Windows..."

"One could hardly make a computer work with a mouse, windows and icons without doing a little borrowing from the brilliant Apple designs..."

Of course he conclude, almost correctly, that "It's not true that Microsoft signed agreements to pay for the use of any part of Apple's interface."

Not publicly, at least.

*** Another Reason Why We Prefer RSS Than E-Mail Newsletters
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/07/#20040707bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
>From Dave Winer<http://archive.scripting.com/2004/07/06#When:10:37:12PM>, Mr. RSS himself: I never had the option to unsubscribe from spam in email, so I feel especially empowered here, in control, and okay with it.

*** You Know What...
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/07/#20040707bg000004>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Articles like this<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/04/books/review/04LAPPINL.html> convince me that I should just settle with Hong Kong Disneyland, rather than bring my daughter to the "real" Disneyworld at Florida. :-)

[Wintel]

*** Amid Belt-Tightening, Microsoft Talks Of A Bright Future
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/07/technology/07soft.html?ex=1246852800&#38;en=a76836e46035c905&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
Ballmer left no doubt that Microsoft must behave more like the mature company it has become to reduce the constant scrutiny it faces from antitrust regulators around the world and the pressure it increasingly faces from investors.

See Also : CEO Says Microsoft Needs To Avoid Pitfalls
<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/aptech_story.asp?category=1700&slug=Microsoft%20Ballmer>
by Allison Linn, Associated Press
Steve Ballmer said the world's largest software company cannot be run like the startup it once was, but "we have to avoid becoming a certain kind of big, process-bound bureaucracy."

*** Enterprise Slow To Dump IE
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1620425,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
by Matt Hicks, eWeek
The calls to dump Internet Explorer may be getting louder, but they are falling largely on deaf ears among enterprise users.

*** Microsoft, Under Attack, Aims To Offer Security
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/07/06/HNmsunderattack_1.html>
by Scarlet Pruitt, IDG News Service
Two and a half years after launching its Trustworthy Computing initiative, Microsoft is finding its products the target of escalating attacks, to the extent that some security experts are even warning that the company's Internet Explorer browser is simply not safe to use.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Sony Storage Gizmo Uses 1-Inch Hard Drive
<http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1620260,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532>
by ExtremeTech
Consumers interested in portable storage gained a new option Tuesday, when Sony Electronics unveiled a 2-Gbyte solution that takes up the space of a business card.

[Internet]

*** Kerry Team Shops For New Web Address
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32169-2004Jul6.html?nav=rss_technology>
by David McGuire, Washington Post

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** Your Country Is Safe From Me
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/04/books/review/04LAPPINL.html>
by Elena Lappin, New York Times
In the name of fighting terrorism, the Patriot Act has transformed a free, open, inimitably attractive democracy into something resembling an insular fortress of Kafkaesque absurdity.

[Life]

*** A Big Appetite For Small-Screen Fare
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-foodtv7jul07,0,6288120.story?coll=la-headlines-food>
by Corie Brown, Los Angeles Times
The culinary world shakes its head over the growing influence of food TV.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Welcome To 'Mini Singapore'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/21948.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
Teban Gardens, representing the Republic in microcosm, is the reserch surveyor's paradise.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.