[MyAppleMenu] Jul 6, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 6 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, July 6, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** iPod's Scarcity Seems To Make Future Buyer's Hearts Grow Fonder
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/9083281.htm?ERIGHTS=-8562883632224696689mercurynews::webmaster@myapplemenu.com&KRD_RM=1ikpnmklmphlhhhhhhhhijlonh|Heng-Cheong|Y&is_rd=Y>
by Jon Ann Steinmetz, San Jose Mercury News
No one could've expected how phenomenal the demand has been.

[News]

*** iPod Packaging Wins Design Distinction Award
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/07/06.4.shtml>
by Brad Gibson, Mac Observer
For the sixth straight year, Apple has taken home another I.D. Magazine Annual Design Review award, this time for its iPod packaging.

*** Fee-Based Web Music Hits Asia. But Where Is Apple?
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=internetNews&storyID=5595454>
by Jason Szep, Reuters

*** 'Take My House: It's A Dump' -- Jobs
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9078>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple CEO Steve Jobs is offering to give away his historic house -- but there's a catch.

*** Apple Tries To Bite Into High-Performance Market
<http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004/0705/tec-apple-07-05-04.asp>
by Michael Hardy, Federal Computer Week
With the announcement that it is providing 1,566 servers to an Army supercomputer project, Apple is making a move into the high-performance computing market that may open new doors for the company.

*** iPods Are Security Risk, Woarns Analyst
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39159670,00.htm>
by Andrew Donoghue, ZDNet UK
Companies should consider banning portable storage devices such as Apple's iPod from corporate networks as they can be used to introduce malware or steal corporate data, according to an analyst.

[Opinion]

*** Concerns About Spotlight And Non-Extensible Types Of Data
<http://blogs.msdn.com/cyrusn/archive/2004/07/06/173909.aspx>
by Cyrus Najmabadi
I don't just want fast searching and thing like search folders/groups. I want to be able to extend the system to pay attention to the metadata I care about.

*** Tiger And The (R)evolution Of Mac OS X
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040706072329499>
by Ted Landau, MacFixIt

*** Widget Wars: Thoughts On The Konfabulator-Dashboard Brouhaha
<http://www.macsimumperspective.com/more.php?id=255_0_1_0_M>
by Dennis Sellers, Macsimum
The Konfabulator-Dashboard issue is a public relations nightmare for Apple. The company should have seen it coming and did nothing to diffuse it.

*** Tiger Primer: Dashboard
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/archives/000248.php>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
It's safe to assume that once Tiger arrives we'll be seeing a flood of homegrown Dashboard applications.

*** Konfab Confab
<http://daringfireball.net/2004/07/konfab_confab>
by John Gruber
Apple does buy products from third-party developers. What Apple doesn't pay for are ideas. I am unaware of any company that does.

*** It Was The Best Of Times, It Was The Worst Of Times
<http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=12499>
by Kevin Schmitt, Creative Mac
Which Apple is going to show up in the next twelve months?

*** Rendezvous With The Desktop
<http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=316>
by Timothy R. Butler, Open For Business
While Apple remains a proprietary software vendor, their increasing portfolio of Free Software shows that they have a serious commitment to Free Software, perhaps more so than many of the proprietary GNU/Linux distribution companies that have appeared in recent years.

[Review]

*** Annoying AirPort Error Message #1
<http://discuss.jarretthousenorth.com/2004/07/05#a3751>
by Tim Jarrett
If you're going to throw an error message this useless, log more detailed information to the Console or wherever so I can figure out what the hell is going on without wasting two hours on a nice holiday afternoon.

*** Out With The Old, In With The New; A Comedy Of Eras
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7589>
by Sean Cohen, OSNews.com

*** Office Workers
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/05/1089000077992.html>
by Adam Turner, Sydney Morning Herald
One of the most appealing features of Microsoft Office for Mac is Project Centre.

[Sidetrack]

*** Smart Folders, Bookmarks, And More
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/06/#20040706bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Here's Mail 2.0<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=532>.

*** iPod Can Be Used To Steal Data?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/07/06/#20040706bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Gartner advises that companies should ban iPods<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39159670,00.htm>, as the portable hard disk can be used to steal large amount of corporate data.

What? Ths security risk has always been there since the days of floppy disks.

Maybe we should ban people with photographic memory too?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** KM Tools Put Users In Control
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/07/02/27NNcm_1.html>
by Cathleen Moore, InfoWorld
Two upstart software vendors are aiming to break ground in KM by giving workgroups and end-users more control of how information is gathered and shared.

[Internet]

*** BBC Ordered To Make Its Website Less Commercial
<http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/media/story.jsp?story=538520>
by James Burleigh, Independent
The BBC was ordered by Tessa Jowell, the Culture Secretary, to make its websites more distinctive from commercial alternatives after an independent review into its online services was published yesterday.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Crash Course
<http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/July-August-2004/scene_hoffman_julaug04.html>
by Jascha Hoffman, Legal Affairs
The science of reconstructing car accidents.

[Life]

*** Widescreen
<http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/ArticleView.asp?P_Article=12690>
by Mark Cousins, Prospect Magazine
In the current rejection of the close-up in mainstream cinema, filmmakers seem to have learnt nothing from the past.

*** Got The Time? At Grand Central, It Has Never Been That Simple
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/06/nyregion/06CLOC.html?ex=1246766400&#38;en=94abf08dce95808d&#38;ei=5088&#38;partner=rssnyt>
by Michael Luo, New York Times
For year, Grand Central Terminal's clocks have maddened riders. Soon, however, a new system will synchronize every second of every day with the Boulder atomic clock.

[Expressions]

*** Figurative North Topeka
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2103155/fr/rss/>
by Eric McHenry, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>

*** Surprises Unlikely In New Cabinet Under Lee Hsien Loong: Analysts
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/94095/1/.html>
by Hwee Goh, Channel NewsAsia
Political watchers say it's unlikely Mr Lee Hsien Loong will make drastic changes to the Cabinet after taking over as Singapore's Prime Minister. They also do not think there'll be an early election.

*** Cabby Spends Time In Lockup After Ferrying Fare With Bogus Passport
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,260114,00.html?>
by Ben Nadarajan, Straits Times
After immigration officers found that one of his passengers was using a fake passport, a taxi driver was himself handcuffed and detained.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.