[MyAppleMenu] Monday, Jan 12, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 12 21:05:01 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, Jan 12, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
Expo Boost For Apple (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7648>
Apple directors of marketing Peter Lowe (consumer software) and Stan Ng (iPod) are on a roll, following last week's Macworld Expo.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
AppleCare Announces Optical Drive Enhancement Program For iBooks (MacFixIt)
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040112082922607>

Student iTeams Fix Tech Troubles (Tess Nacelewicz, Portland Press)
<http://www.pressherald.com/news/state/040110laptops.shtml>
As Maine's pioneering laptop initiative got under way in the state's middle schools two years ago, it quickly became clear that some of today's computer-savvy students knew more about using the portable computers than their teachers did.

SpamSieve Update Processing Messages Faster, More (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/01/12/spamsieve/index.php?redirect=1073918117000>
Accuracy tracking with Panther Mail has been improved; catching spam is better; bugs have been fixed; and more.

Apple Winning Over Wintel Schools (Jonny Evans, Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=7652>
Apple's efforts in the UK education sector continue to reap rewards, the company revealed at industry show BETT 2004 last week.

Apple's Supercomputing Scientists (Matthew Herper, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/2004/01/12/cx_mh_0112apple.html>
Apple Computer and its Macintosh, which has long sat on the desktops of many molecular biologists, are now seeing wider use in genomics.

Movable Movies? (Victoria Shannon, International Herald Tribune)
<http://www.iht.com/articles/124555.html>
Apple has doubts, but won't rule it out.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
HP Move Hurts Customers? (Sandy McMurray, Apple Matters)
<http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/001146.html>
Perhaps HP wil ask Microsoft to add support for AAC audio. (We'll see how that goes.)

Dead iPod Syndrome -- No Volt Found? (Rupert Goodwins, ZDNet UK)
<http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/rupertgoodwins/0,39020691,39119035,00.htm>
Apple has come under fire for the iPod's power problems -- but the Great Battery Rip-off is a much wider issue for the industry, and consumers.

Is Apple Ready To Face The Music? (Gene Steinberg, USA Today)
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/genesteinberg/2004-01-12-steinberg_x.htm>
Apple is facing the music, and we will all reap the benefits.

The Twenty-Plus't Anniversary (John Welch)
<http://www.bynkii.com/generic_mac_stuff/archives/000101.html>
Sometime in the first five minutes of dragging stuff around, it hit me. I mean... it HIT me. This is why you have hardware. To DO things. Not write code.

Democratizing The Media, And More (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/001654.shtml>
Not everyone is an artist, of course. Not everyone has a journalist's curiosity and ability to pull together disparate facts into something that resembles a coherent first draft of reality. Not everyone can play an instrument or sing on key. Not everyone should. But it's exciting to realize that anyone who wants to try can do so.

Apple Software: The End Of Free (Gene Steinberg, Mac Night Owl)
<http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2004/01/215.htm#free>
I am not going to suggest that Apple reverse its path... On the other hand, I do want to see Apple set as low a price point for its stuff as possible.

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
Shadowbane: The Rise Of Chaos (Casey Carbonneau, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=473>
Shadowbane is a damn fun game. Its just a shame that the game gets in the way of the fun most of the time.

iPhoto Deletes Camera Raw Images Without Saving! (Philip van Allen, MacFixIt)
<http://www.macintouch.com/iphoto8.html#jan12>
It's not surprising that iPhoto does not read the CRW raw files, but it is unacceptable that the software deletes them from the CF card and does not save them anywhere!

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
Microsoft Breathes Life Into Windows 98, ME (Seven Deare, PC World)
<http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php?id=668370860&fp=2&fpid=1>
Windows 98 and Millennium Edition users will have support for their operating systems extended by over two years, Microsoft announced on Monday.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Inbox Trauma: New Anti-Spam Tools Falter (Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=530&e=2&u=/ap/20040111/ap_on_hi_te/swimming_in_spam>
Software makers have spent millions of dollars developing new tools for battling spam, and a new federal anti-spam law went into effect on Jan. 1. So are our e-mail inboxes any less cluttered?

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
The Shushing Of The Symphony (James R. Oestreich, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/11/arts/music/11OEST.html>
The potentially harmful impact of sheer decibels, many times amplified, on the ears of rock musicians and audiences has received wide attention over recent decades. The problem in the more genteel precincts of the symphony orchestra is less apparent to those outside the profession.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Air Asia Sets Sights On Flights To Singapore (John Burton, Financial Times)
<http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1073280935004>
Air Asia is expected to use the Thai subsidiary to gain access to other south-east Asian markets, including Singapore and Cambodia, since Thailand has more liberal bilateral aviation agreements with these countries than Malaysia.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.