[MyAppleMenu] Sunday, Jan 11, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 11 21:05:01 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, Jan 11, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
iPod's Creation Spawned Businesses (Ellen Lee, Contra Costa Times)
<http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/business/7684725.htm>
The momentum behind the iPod has spawned a new and already competitive market devoted to the iconic device.

Companies Flock To Identify With iPod Enthusiasts (May Wong, Associated Press)
<http://www.tribnet.com/business/story/4610698p-4574839c.html>
>From snowboarding companies to soda conglomerates, marketing-savvy multinationals that worship at the altar of hip are fixated on wooing the iPod generation.

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
Audiobooks Open A New Chapter In Internet Downloading (Michael Booth, Denver Post)
<http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/entertainment/7684741.htm>

Loyal Mac Users Get An iLife (Ellen Lee, Contra Costa Times)
<http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/business/7684723.htm>
[Apple] signaled that its take on the digital life is about creating and enhancing it, not just enjoying and absorbing it.

John Mayer And Steve Jobs Live From Macworld Expo (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/10/mayer>

The Man With All The Best Tunes (Ian Watson, Scotsman)
<http://www.business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=33872004>
Last week, the ever inventive Jobs may have ignited another revolution.

We Happy Few, We Band Of Brothers (John Naughton, The Observer)
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,1120295,00.html>
[Jobs] is betting the company on making it easy for users to create, manipulate and publish digital content. Why is this interesting?

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
HP's Surprising Partnership With Apple (Apple Matters)
<http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/001133.html>
The HP/Apple alliance confirms that the iPod is miles ahead of the competition, not just in terms of hardware but interms of strategy.

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
New TVs Are Easy To Admire, Tougher To Comprehand (Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5386-2004Jan10.html>
It is becoming harder to buy a television set than a personal computer.

MIT Media Lab Launching Consumer Electronic Push (Richard Wallace, EE Times)
<http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20040109S0026>
MIT Media Lab has launched a new research initiative focused on consumer electronics.

Senator Wants VoIP To Be Regulation Free (Ben Charny, CNET News.com)
<http://rss.com.com/2100-7352_3-5138916.html>
U.S. Sen. John Sununu said he's preparing legislation to keep broadband telephone service providers from being "smothered by state and federal regulators."

MyAppleMenu Reader: World
-------------------------
Cattle Futures? (Michael Pollan, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/11/magazine/11WWLN.html>
Perhaps learning how beef is made will drive us back to an older way of rearing cows.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
Sure, It May Look Like Mars (Jack Hitt, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/11/weekinreview/11jack.html>
With the Mars rover, Spirit, on the ground and sending back color postcards as beautifully tinted as anything your grandmother received from friends visiting the Grand Canyon, the folks who believe the moon shot was a hoax are once again flaming and thread hammering.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
Analog Art In A Digital Age (Scot Lehigh, Boston Globe)
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2004/01/11/analog_art_in_a_digital_age/>
Thanks to new technologies, fine art is more accessible than ever. But viewers seem to care less about the real thing.

When The Universe Is Expanding It Can Make You Late For Work (Woody Allen, Telegraph)
<http://www.arts.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;$sessionid$1NI2J0GRGBBCJQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/opinion/2004/01/04/do0402.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/01/04/ixportal.html>
I awoke on Friday and because the universe is expanding it took me longer than usual to find my robe.

A Walk On The Wild Side (Mary Battiata, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60034-2004Jan6.html>
Disappearing sidewalks, impassable crosswalks, unstoppable traffic, malevolent driving. Does it have to be such a jungle out there?

Suburban Rhapsody (Clive Thompson, Psychology Today)
<http://www.psychologytoday.com/htdocs/prod/PTOArticle/pto-20031028-000005.asp>
The most popular computer game in history features sprawling tract homes, rabid consumerism and bickering families. How did The Sims creator Will Wright get it so right?

My So-Called Blog (Emily Nussbaum, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/11/magazine/11BLOG.html>
In the alternate online universe there exists a shawdow suburban high school where confessional girls and emo boys therapeutically reval all. But even the Web can't make being a teenager any easier.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : Top Stories
Money Game: Air And Sea Sectors Pose Twin Challenges To Singapore (P.Y. Chin, New Straits Times)
<http://www.emedia.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/National/20040111103350/Article/>
Not many Malaysians are aware of it, but AirAsia and the Port of Tanjung Pelepas (PTP) have quietly launched an "air and sea assault" on Singapore.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions