[MyAppleMenu] Thursday, Jan 1, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 1 21:05:00 EST 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, Jan 1, 2004

MyAppleMenu : Top Stories
-------------------------
24-Hour Movie People (Wired)
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.01/play.html?pg=4>
Could you write, cast, shoot, score, and edit an entire movie in a day?

MyAppleMenu : News
------------------
There's Still Time To Turn Your Mac Into A Panther (Clint Swett, Sacramento Bee)
<http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/story/8031529p-8967322c.html>
Those who recently bought an Apple computer that wasn't loaded with the latest "Panther" operating system won't necessarily be forced to pay full price to get the most modern version if they order by Jan. 31.

MyAppleMenu : Opinions
----------------------
Privacy Glitches, Installation Hitches (Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/12/31/01OPcringely_1.html>
>From iTunes to Quicken, the fun never ends.

We Really Need To Work On Our Web Site (Peter Torr)
<http://weblogs.asp.net/ptorr/archive/2003/12/31/46973.aspx>
Have a look at the home page for Mac OS X. Now have a look at the home page for Windows XP Home. Which would you rather buy?

Turf Battle: Dock Vs. Menu Bar (Chris Adamson, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4114>

MyAppleMenu : Reviews
---------------------
For The Ex-Buccaneer, A Pillage-Free Playlist (John Schwartz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/01/technology/circuits/01file.html?ex=1073538000&en=c54a7fdfd27f8362&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE>
We decided to test two services: the iTunes Music Store from Apple Computer, and Rhapsody, from RealNetworks.

The Mouse (Tim Robertson, MyMac.com)
<http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=1196>
If you simply want to upgrade to a better mouse, and cost is not an issue, there are a ton better mice on the market.

The Best Of Mac Web, 2003 (Bill Palmer)
<http://www.billpalmer.net/com000094.html>

Why Not Buy A Mac? (Sandy McMurray, Globe And Mail)
<http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031231.gtsandydec31/BNStory/TechReviews/>
If your new PC behaves badly the moment you plug it in, I have news for you. It's not going to get better. Take it back. Get a Mac.

MyAppleMenu : Wintel News
-------------------------
2004 -- The Year Microsoft's Price Bend, Buckle Or Break? (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/34685.html>
Israel has become the first EMEA country to ask Microsoft for Thai discounts.

More Wintel news at <http://www.myapplemenu.com/wintel/>

MyAppleMenu Tomorrow: News & Opinions
-------------------------------------
Radio Begins To Catch The Eyes As Well As The Ears Of Listeners (Michael Falcon, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/01/technology/circuits/01radi.html>
Used widely in Europe since the 1980's, R.D.S. has been virtually dormant in the United States for a decade. But as more cars come equipped with advanced radios and some major broadcasters invest in the technology, it may finally come into its own.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Science & Tech
----------------------------------
The Time We Thought We Knew (Brian Greene, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/01/opinion/01GREE.htm>
The more physicists have searched for definitive answers, the more our everyday conception of time appears illusory.

MyAppleMenu Reader: Life
------------------------
Capturing The Spirit Of 1776, With A Different Number (David W. Dunlap, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/01/nyregion/01BLOC.html>
The Freedom Tower, the tallest of the planned trade center skyscrapers, is routinely described as a 1,776-foot design. However, achieving that number may prove elusive.

MyAppleMenu SingaporeSurf : News & Opinions
Singapore Shoppers Generally Unfazed By GST Hike (Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/64410/1/.html>
If it is for a good bargain, then the fact that many retailers are absorbing the GST increase for 2004 at least until after the next festive season of Chinese New Year should be good news for consumers.

---
Modify your subscription at <http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/applesurf-list>

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong. This site is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc., or any other companies in any manner. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, PowerBook, iMac, iBook, iPod, and eMac are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. All other brands or product names are trademarks of their registered holders. Copyright (C) 1996-2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.