[MyAppleMenu] Aug 23, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 23 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, August 23, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Students Crazy About iPod Follow The Music To Apple Laptops
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/2004-08-22-ipod-drives-apple_x.htm>
by Jefferson Graham, USA Today
Many students, after falling in love with the iPod, are packing for college with new Apple Macintosh computers.

[News]

*** Macrovision: iPod Support For Lock-In CDs In Q4
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/23/macrovision_fairplay/>
by Tony Smith, The Register
Copy protection provider Macrovision is sufficiently confident that it will be incorporate FairPlay support into its CDS-300 copy control that it has begun telling customers that it will add iTunes and iPod support to its software in Q4.

*** .Mac Users Get Virex 7.5
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/08/23/virex/?lsrc=mcrss-0804>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
Virex 7.5 incorporates new features including a background scanner, an "active" scanner that maintains connections to the local network and the Internet, new tracking and reporting capabilities, a schedule editor that lets you automate scans and updates and more.

*** Is Real A Real Hypocrite?
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,64630,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Katie Dean, Wired News
RealNetworks badly needs a PR coup to regain credibility with music fans, but its latest "freedom of music choice" campaign is missing the mark, critics say.

*** Consumers Say Apple Should Share
<http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_news.cfm?newsID=265324>
by Ross Fadner, MediaPost
The vast majority of consumers are unaware that an Apple iPod digital music player only plasn proprietary iTunes files, while a smaller majority agree that it is within RealNetworks' rights to develop a program that will make its music files compatible with the ipod. Those are among the findings of a new study on consumer perceptions about music download services.

*** Vote Now To 'Think Different'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9454>
by Macworld UK
Apple's famed 'Think Different' slogan could win an award from Advertising Week.

*** Making The Grade: MP3 Players Top Students' Must-Have Lists
<http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/aug04/253267.asp>
by Lindsey Unterberger, Journal Sentinel
"[The iPod] is like the hottest commodity since Tickle Me Elmo. It's almost become like a status symbol."

*** Why Pirates Have The Best Tunes
<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/20/1092972731005.html>
by Patrick Donovan, The Age
Advanced technology keeps music pirates ahead of the CD industry.

[Wintel]

*** Taking The Bull By The Horns
<http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2983.html>
by Windows Mobile
The fact of the matter is that Microsoft empire is falling. No big deal you might say. Well, the problem is however that Microsoft empire is falling because of Microsoft itself -- not because of overly aggressive competition.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Tech & Science]

*** Liquid Assets
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25121-2004Aug22.html>
by Joel Achenbach, Washington Post
We meet the two economists outside a gourmet coffee shop where laughably expensive beverage prices have somehow, in contradiction to all known economic theories, failed to reduce the length of the line. It matters not. We're not here for java. We're searching for that elusive thing known as The Economy.

[Life]

*** Quality, Not Quantity, Will Always Win Out
<http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1288046,00.html>
by Robert McCrum, The Observer
It occured to me, as I read this depressing but familiar recital, that in all the hoo-ha about overproduction, there's one person who is rarely referred to: the Common Reader.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** PM Lee Outlines Blueprint For Land Of Promise
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,268552,00.html?>
by Straits Times
PM Lee said he wants to engage younger Singaporeans, develop schools that prep them for the future and then make it easier -- financially, logistically -- for them to have more babies when their time comes.

[News]

*** Singapore PM Announces New Baby Policies
<http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040822-085434-2303r.htm>
by UPI
Singapore's new Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced bold steps Sunday to make it easier for families to have children.

*** Singapore PM Looks Forward To Improved Ties
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/8/23/nation/8732374&sec=nation>
by The Star
"I have known Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi for many years already. Under him our relations have made a fresh start. I look forward to working with him to strengthen our co-operation."

*** Singapore's New PM Eases Free-Speech Rules
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/823679.cms>
by Associated Press
Lee said public speakers would no longer be required to get police permits to express themselves inside buildings, unless they wanted to talk about religion or race.

*** Singapore 'Would Not Back Taiwan'
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3589196.stm>
by Andrew Wood, BBC News
Singapore's new prime minister says he would not support Taiwan if it provoked a war with China over independence.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.