[MyAppleMenu] Aug 22, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 22 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Sunday, August 22, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** Rick McKay: Broadway: The Movie
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/mckay/>
by Joe Cellini, Apple
The testimony, shot over 5 years with a single off-the-shelf digital video camera and cut together with impossibly rare recordings of legendary performances on a Power Mac running Final Cut Pro, offers fans something like a second chance to experience what it was like inside the 10 city blocks and 40 prolific years that yielded the best in American theater.

*** Apple Delays G5s With NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/21/nvidia>
by MacMinute
The company said it could ship the system a bit sooner if the customer would accept an ATI card and wait for the Nvidia card to be sent at a later date.

[Opinion]

*** A Craving That 10,000 Tunes In My Pocket Would Satisfy
<http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/ae/articles/0822goody22.html>
by Bill Gooykoontz, Arizona Republic
I don't want an iPod. I need an iPod.

[Review]

*** iPod Mini Aims To Shake Up MP3 Player Market
<http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2004/08/23/200408230014.asp>
by Yang Sung-Jin, Korea Herald
Korean digital music buffs do not carry their entire CD collection. Instead, they cherry pick the most popular music numbers on the Web and frequently change the selection to follow rapidly-changing trends.

*** AirPort Express Review
<http://whatdoiknow.org/archives/001808.shtml>
by Todd Dominey
I've been waiting years for Apple (or someone) to elegantly bridge the wireless void between my Mac and existing home stereo, and in that capacity (though limited and one-way) it works as advertised.

*** OmniWeb 5.0
<http://daringfireball.net/2004/08/omniweb_5>
by John Gruber
OmniWeb 5.0 in a nutshell: outstanding browser features, but an oudated rendering engine.

[Sidetrack]

*** Are We There Yet?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/22/#20040822bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
This blog<http://www.cultureby.com/trilogy/archives/000169.html> from Grant McCracken brought up an interesting point: is the iPod and iTunes Music Store such a success that the record labels cannot afford to sell songs at iTMS? That is, is it time that Apple can push the envelop a little?

*** Is There A Moral Doctor In The House?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/22/#20040822bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Don't steal music, advise Apple on each and every iPod. But what if the iPod already comes with free music<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5458> when you purchase it from Apple?

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Looking For Treasure
<http://www.bouldernews.com/bdc/boulder_at_night/article/0,1713,BDC_11136_3122467,00.html>
by Matt Sebastian, The Daily Camera
If video killed the radio star, Internet bloggers are out to finish off the DJ.

*** New York Set For Citywide Wireless
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3578982.stm>
by Matt Wells, BBC News
New York City is on the verge of going fully wireless, according to a deal being finalised this month between authorities and a group of six technology companies.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** The State Of The George W. Bush Joke
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/22/arts/television/X22ZENG.html?ex=1250913600&>
by Jason Zengerle, New York Times
Back then, the president was teased about poor syntax and low I.Q. Now many Bush jokes portray the president as an irresponsible, duplicitous menace. In part, this change is due to an increasingly unpopular war and an unsteady economy. It also may be that all comedy has become harsher in recent years. But partly it is because, since Mr. Bush took office, the left has belatedly rediscovered humor as a political tool.

[Life]

*** Fear Itself
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15004-2004Aug19.html>
by Gene Weingarten, Washington Post
Learning to live in the age of terrorism.

*** Remembrance Of Terror Past
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/22/magazine/22LIVES.html>
by David Raab, New York Times
After 34 years, I was standing once again at the house in Amman where, as a 17-year-old, I was held hostage by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.