[MyAppleMenu] Aug 2, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 2 13:15:02 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Monday, August 2, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Jobs' Rare Variety Of Pancreas Cancer One Of The Most Curable
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/9299713.htm>
by Lori Aratani, San Jose Mercury News
Pancreatic cancer can come in different -- and sometimes fatal -- forms, but the rare type that Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced he had been treated for is among the most curable.

*** Apple CEO Jobs Says Has Cancer Surgery
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=5837901&src=rss/domesticNews&section=news>
by Duncan Martell, Reuters
Steve Jobs has successful surgery for a rare form of pancreatic caner, Apple's co-founder told employees in a company-wide e-mail on Sunday, that was made available to Reuters. "I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was)."

See Also : Text Of Message From Steve Jobs
<http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/national/9297819.htm?1c>
by Associated Press
"I will be recuperating during the month of August, and expect to return to work in September. While I'm out, I've asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple's day to day operations, so we shouldn't miss a beat. I'm sure I'll be calling some of you way too much in August, and I look forward to seeing you in September. P.S. I'm sending this from my hospital bed using my 17-inch PowerBook and an Airport Express."

[News]

*** Use iPod, Go To Jail? Keep Your Eyes On Congress
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/9300339.htm?ERIGHTS=489683556903310254mercurynews::webmaster@myapplemenu.com&KRD_RM=1ikpnmklmphlhhhhhhhhijlonh|Heng-Cheong|Y&is_rd=Y>
by Dawn C. Chmielewski and Therese Poletti, San Jose Mercury News
Millions of people could soon be carrying illegal devices in their pockets. That's the message from the "Save the iPod" campaign.

*** Steve Jobs Leads CEO Pack
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9306>
by Macworld UK
Apple CEO Steve Jobs remains America's leading CEO, according to Forbes' monthly CEO approval poll.

[Opinion]

*** What Would Happen If Steve Jobs Died?
<http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1030&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0>
by Apple-X.net

*** Change At Apple: Is It Time For A Successor To Steve Jobs?
<http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/change_at_the_top_is_it_time_for_a_successor_to_steve_jobs/>
by Jack D. Miller, Mac360

*** AV PowerBooks: Is This What Apple Needs?
<http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=3622>
by Remy Davison, Insanely Great Mac
Given that AV options are becoming more widely available for PC notebooks, Apple needs to respond to this growing market.

[Review]

*** Apple Xserve RAID
<http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/reviews_story.php?id=61175>
by PC Pro

*** Apple's AirPort Express Worth Price, If You Use All The Features
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/9300335.htm>
by Mike Langberg, San Jose Mercury News

*** XIII
<http://www.applelinks.com/pm/more.php?id=1914_0_1_0_M>
by Kirk Hiner, Applelinks

[Sidetrack]

*** Do You Want Some TNT today?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/02/#20040802bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Imagine this guy, who discovered that the airport security folks have mistakenly planted some TNT in his luggage<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1084140609009&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467>, is going to a U.S. destination, and if the customs and/or security staff at the U.S. airport has discovered the TNT, what is going to happen? He is going to go through hell, that's what it is going to happen. He will be lucky if he can see his family again for the next few months.

And that's why I am going back on the promise I've made to myself on bringing my daughter to DisneyWorld once she is able to appreciate Mickey Mouse. Hong Kong DisneyLand, here I come... :-)

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Comptuers Weighing In On The Elements Of Essay
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30854-2004Jul31.html?nav=rss_technology>
by Jay Mathews, Washington Post
Many students who have agonized over getting a high-stakes essay just right express similar views. Yet few of them know that essay-grading computers are quietly making significant gains in the booming U.S. testing industry.

*** Breaking The Rules With Open Source
<http://news.com.com/Breaking+the+rules+with+open+source/2100-7344_3-5290983.html?part=rss&tag=5290983&subj=news.7344.20>
by Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com

[Linux]

*** Group: Linux Potentially Infringes 283 Patents
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5291403.html>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com
Linux potentially infringes 283 patents, including 27 held by Microsoft but none that have been validated by court judgments, according to a group that sells insurance to protect those using or selling Linux against intellectual-property litigation.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** On The Sidewalk, High Art Gets Down
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33255-2004Aug1.html>
by Rebecca Dana, Washington Post
A good sidewalk chalk drawing is like a good creme brulee. It takes hours of work to get the color, texture and balance perfect. And when that's finally done, you have a few minutes, maybe, to step back and admire the result before it's gone: absorbed, digested, a fragment of memory.

*** New Year's Resolutions, Seven Months Later
<http://www.newyorker.com/shouts/content/?040809sh_shouts>
by Andy Borowitz, New Yorker
January 2nd brought a new, less arrogant resolution: "I will smoke only cigarettes I did not pay for." Unfortunately, I hadn't anticipated how easy it would be to steal them at the 7-Eleven.

[Expressions]

*** Adams
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?040809fi_fiction>
by George Saunders, New Yorker
I never could stomach Adams and then one day he's standing in my kitchen, in his underwear. Facing the direction of my mids' room! So I wonk him in the back of the head and down he goes. When he stands up, I wonk him again and down he goes. Then I roll him down the stairs into the early-spring muck and am like, If you ver again, I swear to God, I don't even know what to say, you miserable fuck.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** Introduction
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/02/#20040802bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Hi, and welcome to the new and improved SingaporeSurf. Well, maybe only on the "new" part, but not really on the "improved" part. Especially if you have no desire whatsoever to read all my rambligns.

Hi, and I am Heng-Cheong. I've been publishing SingaporeSurf for quite a while already, but today is the first day I am switching from more of a "link-to-headlines" mode to "blog-plus-some-links" mode here. I hope you can forward me any of your suggestions or comments on what you see here.

*** ATM Machines, PIN Numbers, And Hwa Chong Institution
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/02/#20040802bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
The latest news on the local education scene is the merger of Chinese High and Hwa Chong Junior College to form Hwa Chong Institution<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2004/08/so_will_the_jc_.html>.

I am not from either of the schools, so I don't really have any emotion or feelings attached, and I don't really care one way or the other.

But the choice of the new English name, Hwa Chong Institution, I feel, is really quite stupid. Hwa Chong, after all, is the phonenic translation from Chinese, which means Overseas Chinese High School. So the English name actually means "Overseas Chinese High School Institution."

To put it another way, it's just like calling Yangtze Jiang River, which will get scolding from my secondary school geography teacher. (For those who don't understand Chinese, the Jiang in Yangtze Jiang already means river.)

*** Let The Blame Game Begin
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/08/02/#20040802bg000004>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
The inquiry into the collapse of Nicoll Highway<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/98862/1/.html> has started, and LTA wasted no time in assigning blame.